Do you like to watch Motorsports? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to watch Motorsports?

AncientWalkman
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
If so, closed wheel or open wheeled racing?

ForeverAutumn
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I like Monster Trucks. Does that count?

dean_martin
06-06-2008, 11:34 AM

I went to my first race at Talladega this year (Aaron's 499). An old friend from high school called at the last minute with an extra ticket. I said what the heck. I'll go again if I get a chance. Much more exciting in person. There was a group of 4 guys from Canada behind us. They shared their Molson!

E-Stat
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I like F1. Been to Indy for the US GP twice. Love the shriek of those motors running at 18,000 rpm. :)

rw

audio amateur
06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I like F1. Been to Indy for the US GP twice. Love the shriek of those motors running at 18,000 rpm. :)

rw
Yep those things are loud as ... I was lucky enough to attend a Ferrari meeting at the other end of the Geneva lake here, in Montreux. They had a couple Ferrari F1's running loose on the 'track'. As the thing passed in front of me it downshifted and misfired, which scared the crap out of me.. Simply because it was so loud. You have to be there to believe it. All you here on the screen is whining. It's incredible to hear it live.
There were a couple of Enzo FXX aswell. Seeing so many Ferrari's in action in one place was quite a sight and quite a hearing:)
So far the best motoring event ever for me. I hope to attend a race one day, perhaps Silverstone or Monaco
I'll post a couple pictures when I get home next week

AncientWalkman
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM

rw

Sweet...are you planning on watching the 2008 Grand Prix of Sonoma? Not sure if you a fan of Danica Patrick, but she is going to be racing in that event.

Anyone a fan of hers?

Woochifer
06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Generally, I'm more drawn to the open-wheel racers, frankly because the agility and performance on those cars so far outclasses stock cars. And I generally like watching street/road courses more than ovals. I can see the appeal of NASCAR because stock cars can race much closer together and there's a lot more contact. But, the open wheel race cars are just incredible machines.

Unfortunately, that whole CART-IRL debaucle did incredible damage to open wheel racing in the U.S. (which has never warmed up to F1, and I doubt ever will). It turned both series into a minor league feeder system for NASCAR and F1, with guys like Sam Hornish, AJ Allmendinger, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Jacques Villeneuve going to NASCAR and Sebastian Bourdais moving onto F1.

And the series split opened the door for NASCAR's ascent to begin with. When the split occurred, the CART Indy series was about on par with NASCAR in ratings and sponsorships, but now the gulf in popularity is so wide it's hardly worth comparing. Now that the two series have reunified, we'll see how it all plays out.

E-Stat
06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Sweet...are you planning on watching the 2008 Grand Prix of Sonoma? Not sure if you a fan of Danica Patrick, but she is going to be racing in that event.

Anyone a fan of hers?
Not planning to go, but would probably watch. I too am more of a road racing fan. Danica is a skilled driver - sorry that she got knocked out of the race at Indy in the pit lane!

rw

AncientWalkman
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Not planning to go, but would probably watch. I too am more of a road racing fan. Danica is a skilled driver - sorry that she got knocked out of the race at Indy in the pit lane!

rw

Yea, unfortunate. :( Did you know Motorola is having a sweepstakes to win free tickets to the 2008 grand prix of Sonoma?

markw
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll watch anything with a motor except, surprisingly, motorcycles. On the whole, I like NASCAR.

E-Stat
06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I'll watch anything with a motor except, surprisingly, motorcycles. On the whole, I like NASCAR.
Since I'm a rider, I enjoy watching motorcycle GP racing as well. Anything? Ever watched lawn motor racing?

I'm serious! (http://www.letsmow.com/)

rw

markw
06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Since I'm a rider, I enjoy watching motorcycle GP racing as well. Anything? Ever watched lawn motor racing?

I'm serious! (http://www.letsmow.com/)

rwI've got a tiny yard but my buddy with morethan an acre just picked up one of these new-fangled lawn mowers where you control it with a joystick. It's a gas! It takes a few minutes to get used to it but after a while it's just like playing a video game. It worked out great for him because his young kids now love to mow the lawn. He just sits back and watches...

It's even got a cup-holder so you can mow the lawn and still have a cold one. Oh, the game gets progressively harder depending on how many cold ones you have.

FWIW, they live about 15 minutes from Dover Downs, the Monster Mile.

Oh, geez, I hope they don't sue me for saying that word....

E-Stat
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I've got a tiny yard but my buddy with morethan an acre just picked up one of these new-fangled lawn mowers where you control it with a joystick.
When I moved to AR, I ended up with an acre and a half. Whereas a trusty Craftsman 21" push mower worked fine with my former small yard, I had to get something bigger as well. My yard is also complicated by having a dozen or so trees in the front alone. Solution? I got one of the ZTRs (zero turn radius) units. While mine doesn't exactly use a joystick, it has two levers that work like driving a tank. Both forward=go forward. Both back=go backwards. One forward, one back=turn circles in place! They are also faster in a straight line than the typical steering wheel type tractor.

It's even got a cup-holder so you can mow the lawn and still have a cold one.
Mine does too, but I'm not fond of finding grass clippings in my Coors. :)

Oh, geez, I hope they don't sue me for saying that word....
Mr. Lee's attorney pool is watching!

rw

bobsticks
06-12-2008, 03:07 PM

rw

Around 2003, maybe 2002, I was dating a young lady that worked PR for the Adam's Mark and found myself enjoying an aperitif at one of her functions before we made the downtown rounds. A study in contrast, she came alive in the glitzy affair obviously impressed with the large group of foreigners while I felt out of my element having no knowledge of the event's origins. I found myself eventually backed to a wall chatting with some short guy that seemed as uncomfortable as I. However, he became effusive at the mention of Brazil and the tango and all things South American. I remember some conversation about France as well.

As my new friend turned on heel she came up gushing, "So, how was he?!!" It was Emerson Fittipaldi which meant nothing to me then and little to me now, although I later found out there was some irony in the fact that I was drinking White Russians and he was drinking Screwdrivers. Nice chap though and clearly not into sychophantic obsequiousness.

As always, the shrimp cocktail at Elmo's was splendid.