Cable replacement on CS-5000 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable replacement on CS-5000

emaidel
06-06-2008, 03:50 AM
I've posted extensively ("exhaustively," some might think!) about how delighted I've been with the performance of my Dual CS-5000. Adding an Achromat turntable mat, and cleaning headshell/tonearm connections with DeoxIT have also provided noticeable improvements.(DeoxIT's claim that it not only removes corrosion, but improves conductivity is very real and audible). Still, the cables that come with this baby are no better than those from a $44 Garrard record changer.

Replacing cables on other Duals has been a cinch - just remove the turntable from the wood base, unplug the originals and then plug in a decent set. Though I'm not entirely sure, I don't believe it's quite that easy with the 5000.

I'd really like to replace these cables with some decent ones, but am at a loss as to how to do that. Any suggestions?

basite
06-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Though I'm not entirely sure, I don't believe it's quite that easy with the 5000.

I'd really like to replace these cables with some decent ones, but am at a loss as to how to do that. Any suggestions?

I don't know how else they are hooked up, but in my Luxman, the cable (which was better than a standard cable, but unfortunately, it broke, so I had to replace it) was soldered to a little plate which connected the tonearm leads to the RCA cable...
I removed the cable and the plate, so the tonearm leads were loose, and installed RCA sockets at the back of the tt, and soldered the tonearm leads on them. Used a third RCA socket for the ground cables (made a small bridge for the ground cable, since the tonearm ground leads were also connected to another ground cable in the tt)...

For extra shielding, I installed a 'wall of lead' so the contacts are entirely free from IRF, and motor noise...

I can post pics if you want to... (since the explanation might not have been entirely clear...)

you can also get a rewire kit (like the ones from Cardas), and rewire it (including the tonearm...)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

hydroman
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I needed longer RCA cables - so i soldered in a better/longer set using the existing points. No, there isn't just a RCA connector inside :(

JohnMichael
06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
If you ever buy a Rega the rewire is great. The wire is continuous from the cartridge clips to the rca jacks that plug into the phono pre-amp. No solder joints between clips and plugs. Cardas wire is used.