BOSTON VR3 COMPARED to AXIOM M60v2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BOSTON VR3 COMPARED to AXIOM M60v2

Howling Wolf
06-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I am looking to buy ether Boston VR3 or AXIOM M60v2 speakers and am not sure which one is the best? I play allot of CD's and listen to radio allot, these will be for my wife because she is a BIG Gospel Music listener.

My biggest problem is which one is the very best for what I want it for. We listen to 60% Music and 40% TV.

I really need your help on this so I get the best.

I do not know the first thing about Speakers.

blackraven
06-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I've always liked the BA sound back when they were about audio vs HT. The VR3's look like a good deal at under $700pr. I cant comment on the Axioms. I'm sure both will do well for what you want. If you can or have auditioned the BA's and like them, then buy them rather than have the hassle of having to return the Axiom's if you don't like the sound.

My only advice would be to listen to as many speakers as you can with the type of music you like to listen too. Try to listen on similar amps and the same CD player if possible. Use well recorded music. I would focus on the audio rather than HT sound as usually speakers that sound good with 2ch audio sound good for HT use but the opposite isnt necessarily true.

JSE
06-06-2008, 06:11 AM
I have Boston VR 965 towers which are a generation or so behind the VR3 towers but I have listend to the VR3 in the past. I have also listened to some Axiom Bookshelf size speakers ( can't remember the model number) a couple of years ago. Granted they are not exactly what you are considering but I think based on the lines in general I can say the Axioms (to me) are a little bit brighter than the Boston's. The Boston's have a very nice warm sound to them. Nice bass and great mids with a bit laid back highs. They are a fairly detailed speaker but they are also very easy to listen to. The Axioms had a bit more forward or bright sounding compared to the Bostons. I guess the best way to describe the Axioms is that they seemed a little "thin" to me, if that makes sense. Not alot of depth. Again, these were not the 60's you are looking at.

JSE