Onkyo DX-7555/A-9555??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo DX-7555/A-9555???

MartyW
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey all,

Is anyone using the Onkyo DX-7555/A-9555 amplifier/cd pair? I am in the market for my first hi-fi system and am trying to decide between getting a pair of same model components (either the Onkyo, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio) or an Outlaw RR2150 and a Marantz 5001 cd player to run Monitor Audio RS6's. I need to keep the cd/amp pair to around $1000-$1200.

I read the killer Onkyo reviews in Stereophile, and it sounds like it would be perfect for me. And then I go into hi-fi shops near me (Washington DC) and they tell me Onkyo is low-budget equipment.

Sorry if it seems I'm all over the place! Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers - Marty

blackraven
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
The A-9555 is a very good amp and very good value. Don't listen to to the HiFi snobs!

The Outlaw RR2150 is very good as well and has lots of high current power as well as a radio and bass management to go along with a good phono input.

All the equipment you are considering will make a very good sounding system.

JohnMichael
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I am the proud owner of the Onkyo A-9555. I also own the Cambridge Audio 640A and the Onkyo is superior. The CA 640 is grainy in the highs and a little emphasized in the bass. I have the original CA 640 by the way. The Onkyo is transparent and even accross the frequency range.

I bought the Onkyo on a whim when I was looking for a better integrated amp than the 640A. I had read the great reviews and decided to give it a try. I have stopped shopping and I am enjoying the music. The 640A had a coloration to my ears that made so many cd's sound similar. Through the A-9555 everything sounds as it should.

Check out the review in Absolute Sound available on their site. They review the Onkyo's together and very favorably. I have not heard the cd player but if they put as much care in it's design as the amp it will be good and one remote will control both. I think you will be pleased and B&H Photo Video and JR Music have the amp and cd players at nice discounts.

The Onkyo name may not cause anyone to be envious until they hear your system. An interesting note I just wanted to add is that when I first began listening to the Onkyo in my system I thought maybe it was a little bland but what I know now is I am not listening to distortions or colorations. Putting the CA 640A back in the system briefly reaffirmed the Onkyo is accurate.

benlg
06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I chose the A-9555 over the Azur 540A, great amp for the price. Couldnt have put it better than JohnMichael, there is a scratchiness to the treble on the CA. The Onkyo however is crystal clear and very precise. Vocals sound amazing. I was also considering the Marantz PM7001/CC4001 set but after listening to Onkyo I do not feel the need to look any further. Very happy with it so far.

MartyW
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Have either of you paired the onkyo a-9555 with the music hall 25.2 cdp? The onkyo amp seems to get better reviews than the music hall and vice-versa on the cdp. What do you guys think? Would I be silly to mix and match?

Again, these will be driving Monitor Audio 6s on acoustic music, jazz, and some classical. My goal for this system is something that will provide great details and as wide/deep a soundstage I can afford in my budget.

Thanks!!

Marty

PS - I will not be modding for now.

MartyW
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
btw - both Stephen Meijas and Robert Deutsch in two seperate Stereophile articles mention pairing the onkyo amp and music hall cdp - that's where I got the idea!

basite
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Seems like a sensible match :)

Try it out I'd say :)

the onkyo will be a good match with the MA's too I think...