XM Radio VS. Sirius Satellite? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio VS. Sirius Satellite?

valmeow
06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know what is going on between XM & Sirius. I spent last weekend looking for a good 2 channel receiver, but every single one the dealer showed me only had XM.

Is this the same warpath that we've seen before with Beta vs. VHS, and lately with HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray (although we all know that VHS and Blu-Ray won)...LOL!!

I ended up buying an Integra Research DTM 5.3 Receiver. It gives me a later option to hook up to home theater. But the sound blew me away. I don't receive delivery until maybe this Friday, so I can't remember if this has XM or not.

My problem is that there are only 2 stations on FM that I like, Classical Music and Classic Rock. The latter belongs to Sirius:eek6:

Is there a way that I can still subscribe to Sirius Satellite even if my Receiver is not set up for it?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 05:03 AM
According to the features list for the Integra DTM-5.3, it is neither XM nor Sirius ready. This means there is no jack on the receiver for either, so no, you wouldn't be able to listen to them. Of course you can buy one or the other for use in your car, and there may be some kind of docking system for the receiver that I'm not aware of.

To be perfectly honest with you, I probably wouldn't have purchased this particular receiver as it looks like it's more suited for a multi-zone stereo application. Not sure what you mean by "later option to hook up to home theater", unless you have a home theater that is/will be using a multi-channel source.

If you look around on the internet you'll be able to find many receivers that ARE Sirius ready.

valmeow
06-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Dear Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately for me neither XM nor Sirius radio were important enough features. I just thought it would be nice to have the option for Sirius.

What I meant by having a later option for home theater is that I don't have it now, and since the Integra DTM 5.3 has an additional video input (output?) or two, I can relax for awhile with my new Home Stereo system and hook something up in the near future.

But I have to say that my search for 2 channel receivers found almost no Sirius options.

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 06:14 AM
When I had DirecTV it came with quite a few XM stations, and there were stations that I liked a lot, including Classic Rock and a station called Deep Tracks that played much of the non-Top 40 songs from artists like Pink Floyd, Yes, Patti Smith and the like. The same music I grew up with in the 70's & 80's on my local FM stations.

As far as the XM/Sirius war, someone at work explained to me what was holding up the merger; I don't recall all of the details but I was left with the impression that it won't be over anytime soon.

GMichael
06-04-2008, 06:43 AM
But I have to say that my search for 2 channel receivers found almost no Sirius options.

Looks like the Yamaha RX-797 is XM ready. Not sure of other manufacturers, but I'd think that some of them make them also.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200028

valmeow
06-04-2008, 07:56 AM
The reason I chose the Integra DTM 5.3 was SOUND, SOUND, SOUND and the fact that I can hook up my 11 yr.old TEAC Turntable. I compared the Integra with a Marantz and also a Denon receiver...and look out world, the Integra (elite line of Onkyo) left them in the dust...

But thanks guys, for helping me out on the XM vs. Sirius question. I just have that feeling that XM will win out in the end as it seems a majority of manufacturers are only allowing XM...C'est la vie!!

hydroman
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Having had rental cars with both - XM is waaaay better. The sirius had many drop outs - like every song.

nightflier
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
As far as the XM/Sirius war, someone at work explained to me what was holding up the merger; I don't recall all of the details but I was left with the impression that it won't be over anytime soon.

I have been wondering about the XM/Sirius merger as well. My stock broker tells me that it's just a monopoly-avoidance thing, but I'd definitely like to know more about what is happening between the two.

If I remember right, XM was beating the pants off Sirius (both in subscription numbers and hardware sales) until Sirius signed Howard Stern. That single move helped save the company and allowed them to start merger talks with some dignity left. But that is all old news, and I'd definitely like to know more. If anyone has more input, I'd really like to know.

valmeow
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
My favorite FM rock station is also on Sirius, we're talking New York City here (also home to Howard Stern).

I have a feeling that XM will eventually rule the day, but in NYC - seems to be Sirius, for now...:frown2:

nightflier
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't listen to Howard Stern, but I know he's got an in with the mucky-mucks up at Sirius. Has he mentioned anything new or interesting about the merger with XM on his show?

Rich-n-Texas
06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I heard on the news this morning that the chairman at the FCC gave his approval to the merger.

valmeow
06-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi Nightflier!

I don't listen to Howard Stern either. But I was watching MSNBC yesterday evening when a bulletin ran across the bottom of the screen announcing approval of the $5 Billion merger. I don't know anymore details then that.:aureola:

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Since I was in a rush yesterday morning to get out to work, the only detail I caught was that some stations (obviously) would be dropped. Don't know which ones. Having nothing better to do, I'll go research it. My receiver is XM ready and includes XMHD decoding, so I was thinking about subscribing to it down the road.

Rich-n-Texas
06-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Some conditions placed on the merger include a three year price freeze for customers, an agreement by the two companies to create smaller packages (of radio stations) at lower costs, offer a la carte programming (something the cable TV companies still fight), allow more manufacturers to create and sell the hardware, and set aside channels for minority owned stations and noncommercial use. Customers could also subscribe to "family friendly" packages that exclude Howard Stern.

The article I read says that the merger isn't a done deal because approval is still needed from four other members of the commission, including two democrats. ("Political opposition from some key Democrats in Congress has also been a consideration.")

Critics say the merger would create a monoply in statellite radio, but supporters say that's not true because there are other ways to listen to music including internet radio, MP3 downloads and regular AM/FM radio (translation: The National Association of Broadcasters is concerned about their members profit margins... they say satellite radio interferes with traditional radio signals which is an FCC violation)

To sum it up, IMO, it's still going to be a while before us peons are able to enjoy the fruits of this battle.

nightflier
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
...offer a la carte programming (something the cable TV companies still fight)

This is key. If they do that, I'm in. And who knows, maybe one day we'll be able to order a la carte from the cable nitwits too.

Some other questions ran through my mind, though:

- How do the digital radio shmucks feel about the merger? I say this because they have been red-taping that sucker from the start. Maybe this will light a fire under their arses to get their act together?

- For that matter, how do the analog radio stations feel about it? I imagine they were the most vocal opponents to the merger.

- How does our pal Howard Stern feel about chumming up to XM? I know it's hard to think of Stern as a businessman in a suit, but he's built up quite a bit of clout for himself.

- So will my XM / Sirius receiver become obsolete? I suppose for the $30 receivers that's no big deal, but for those people who purchased a more upscale receiver, that must be an issue.

I'm guessing from Rich's comments that Democrats don't like the merger either, but I think of them more as standing on the sidelines (they seem to be good at that). After all, shouldn't Republicans (you know, the small-business, competition-flag-waiving Republicans) be more upset about this? Would they not see this as another fat-cat-corporate-merger that offers no competition, i.e. more in line with a Bushie-type Republican kind of thinking?

Yes, there are other ways to get radio, but the real question is whether the merger will allow fee-based radio to dominate those. If we look at the way that pay-TV now towers over public and "free" TV, I think that's a real possibility (once they had all the power, they even hoodwinked the public into paying for content that is also advertising-driven - and nobody blinked!).

Politically, I don't see anything truly Republican about this merger, and by that I mean embracing fairness and competition. On the surface, it may seem so, but what will it become? Of course as a consumer, I want my Howard Stern and the better music stations that XM offers, so I'm tempted to support the merger, but am I then not paving the way for fee-based radio to dominate the other guys? If they later decide, e.g. for profit-driven-reasons, to add advertising to all their programming, will there then even be alternatives anymore? Or what if they raise their fees, begin to censor content that "offends" their big advertisers, or decide that all receivers have to be upgraded every year "for a small service fee?" Think this is nonsense? Take another hard look at your pay-TV provider....