Return To Forever on tour [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Return To Forever on tour

Finch Platte
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Miles Davis' electric bands in the late ‘60s (featured on such classic albums as In a Silent Way and Beeyatches Brew) served as the incubator for several pioneering jazz fusion bands, including Tony Williams' Lifetime, Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter's Weather Report and Chick Corea's legendary Return to Forever, whose lifespan stretched from 1972 to 1977 with three different versions of the band.

After a touring absence of more than 25 years, the potent jazz-rock flagship quartet edition of Return to Forever returns in 2008. This highly anticipated reunion will see the group's classic lineup—Corea on keyboards, Al Di Meola on guitar, Stanley Clarke on bass and Lenny White on drums—embark on an expansive summer tour with dates in Europe and the United States.

A special Return to Forever anthology featuring remixed and remastered tracks from the classic albums Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Where Have I Known You Before, No Mystery and Romantic Warrior will also be released to coincide with the tour. And a concert DVD could well be released, featuring the band revisiting the material from their years together.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing these wankers on tour and hearing live cuts from Romantic Warrior. But, since tix are $80, plus ticket fees, chances of me going are pretty slim. I'll have to wait for the live DVD. :yesnod:

Goldenvoince.com (http://www.goldenvoice.com/shows/details/?id=17867)

RTF's website (http://www.return2forever.com/)

fp

Swish
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
...they just don't interest me that much any more. I guess that type of jazz just isn't my thing, but I was into it pretty big back in the late 70s and early 80s. Seeing Weather Report live was the highlight for me, but it's fizzled out for me.

Swish

bobsticks
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I, on the other hand, will be happy to dish out said cheese to see 'em on the 22nd. Just a few scant blocks from my home too.

Worf101
06-03-2008, 04:57 AM
It's funny I was just listening to Santana's "Caravansari" the other day and ruminating on my Fusion days. Thought about these guys for the first time in decades and voila, they reunite for a tour. Closest they'll be to me is NY City. I might do it, I just might do it.

Da Worfster

thereyet
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I saw that they were touring on a bill board in the DC Metro. If they are coming to the SF Bay Area I just might have to go.

<<Miles Davis' electric bands in the late ‘60s (featured on such classic albums as In a Silent Way and Beeyatches Brew) served as the incubator for several pioneering jazz fusion bands, including Tony Williams' Lifetime, Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter's Weather Report and Chick Corea's legendary Return to Forever, whose lifespan stretched from 1972 to 1977 with three different versions of the band. >>

You should also add Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson to this great list.

thereyet

richmon
06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Return to Forever musically carried me through the late 70's disco/punk era. Yes, ELP, Genesis and King Crimson had ceased to be revelant and I sought refuge in Fusion.

I plunked down $130 for this, it's only 10 minutes from my house in an outdoor venue. Disappointed that Bela Fleck won't be part of the Baltimore show, but he is at the Mann Center in Philly the next night.

This is my new world record for a concert ticket, seems like this tour is partially for cash grab reasons. But I've never seen the band and this is prolly my last shot at it.

thereyet
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Just found out the show in SF is this weekend and is SOLD OUT with the exception of VIP tics that go for hundreds of $$$. No thanks.

thereyet