ERA D4 series speakers with Denon AV-788, Marantz SR5002, or Onkyo TX-SR605 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ERA D4 series speakers with Denon AV-788, Marantz SR5002, or Onkyo TX-SR605

JK_Livin22
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I am putting together a system for a family member and will be using ERA D4 series http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/Design-4-Series/ speakers for the front and center channel in what will eventually be a 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround system with a Blu-ray player as the primary source component. Initially I had been strongly considering the Onkyo TX-SR605 as it has received excellent reviews from just about every source imaginable. However, the listening preferences of the eventual owner of the system are probably going to be something like 30% multi-channel music, 30% 2-channel music, 40% movies. Given that, I think there may be other receivers out there in the same price range (btw, probably going to be purchasing a refurbished unit from an authorized dealer @ $450 or less) that are perhaps more geared toward music than movies. A couple of the units I’m considering are the Denon AVR-788, and the Marantz 5002. I believe that the Cambridge Audio and NAD units that are comparable are going to be quite a bit more expensive; but if anyone knows of a particular model from either of these manufacturers (as well as any others, i.e Yamaha, etc.) they think I should consider, please let me know. The ERA D-4 series speakers are rated at 4 ohms, but I’ve been told that they are really closer to 5 ohms. Would any of the units mentioned thus far have trouble pushing these speakers?

Bottom line, I’m trying to find an AV receiver that is good with movies but great with music (for mid-fi equipment that is), with at least 2 HDMI inputs (preferably for audio as well as video). Unfortunately I am currently living in a rural area and it is difficult for me to audition these (although I intend to do so before I make a final decision) and the ERA dealer does not carry any of these brands, only higher end equipment from Rotel, etc. Before I start traveling around to audition anything, I would love to get some opinions from anyone who has listen to and compared any of the units mentioned, especially regarding their performance with music, both stereo and multi-channel.

Thanks in advance.

johnny p
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
accessories4less has refurbed Marantz's.... I got my second Marantz from them.... I LOVE Marantz... such a great sound for such a good price....