Complete System Update – Your Ideas? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Complete System Update – Your Ideas?

Contentt
05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
It’s time to update my entire system and move to HD. So I’m trying to figure out if anything is worth keeping and what to replace. Below is my current setup, some of this stuff is from my college days and just won’t die. Obviously some things are no longer ideal for a home theater, which is also my living room.

Current setup:
TV: Sony Wega 32”
Reciever: Denon AVR-2802
DVD: Denon DVD-1720
Other: Tivo, DirectTV

Speakers:
Center:M&K S85
Left/Right: Infinity
Rear: Boston Acoustics
Subwoofer: M&K– MX-125 MKII

What I’m thinking of…with ballpark budget in the 3-5K range:
HD flat panel – 40-50” (Budget: $1K-1500)
HD Tivo and HD DirecTV
New DVD player (Budget: $2-400)
New receiver? (Budget: $500)
New speakers…? (Budget: $500)
New sub, the M&K seems to be having some issues (Budget: $500)

I’m also considering getting a projector since I mainly watch movies. Been eyeballing the 720p options around 1K, but think I might want to wait until the 1080 prices drop a little more to around $1500. Lighting is not an issue in my room. And this would be a budget increase but you only live once.

I'm not attached to any brands. Any suggestions?

thekid
06-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Welcome to the Forum!!

Well your budget seems to indicate you are more interested on a video upgrade than an audio upgrade. I am not sure how much of a gain you would realize over your set-up if you are budgeting a $1k for a new reciever/speakers set-up. With your speaker budget you might want to just try and "match" your fronts since that is where most of the sound is generated in HT. So you could either get a pair of M&K's (seems like they would have to be used at your price point) or get an Infinity center channel which seems more doable at your budget. For your reciever budget I am partial to Pioneer like the VSX-816/817 because of the features/per dollar spent but if you are looking for an HDMI connection I think your budget is too small. Depending on how much you like your current sound you might want to consider putting around $1k into your receiver and upgrade the speakers later. A Yamaha RX-V2600 might be good option at that price point.

Based on other threads it looks like the cost of Blu-Ray players maybe coming down so you might want to wait on that and see what kind of upgrade you can do 3-6 months from now.

I'm still living with a conventional 34-inch Sony HDTV so I am no help at all on the video front.
I am sure others here will be able to give you more specifics.

Good luck on your upgrade project!

Contentt
06-01-2008, 08:05 AM
After doing a little more reading on speakers I see your point. I am completely overwhelmed with speaker options at the moment. I think if a speaker package included a sub my total speaker budget is 1-1.5K.

I was guessing I could find a good receiver with HDMI connections around 7-800 that would meet my needs, but need to research that some more as well.

My priority is to move to HD, and improve my movie watching experience.

f0rge
06-02-2008, 06:45 AM
here's what i'd get.

TV: anything from a major manufacturer, my personal preference is panasonic plasma, try for 1080P if possible. ~$1500
receiver: take a look at the onkyo TX-SR606...crazy bang for the buck at around $350-400. if you want to spend more there are tons of options, but stay current, make sure you have HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA decoding.
DVD player: get a PS3 for both it's excellent DVD and Bluray playback $400

the speakers are a tougher choice. it's going to be up to you to decide if you need to upgrade. what you have now will work perfectly with the new gear listed above.

if you decide to upgrade i would probably buy a set of good mains in the $1000 range, like some B&W 684's or some paradigm monitor 9's, then as you have more money add a center, then sub. if you can afford the center up front then all the better. keep your old speakers for rears.

all that you should be able to score for around $4k including a new center but not a sub.

natronforever
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I think the piece-by-piece is a good way to buy speakers. It does take longer, however. If you want a more than decent 5.1 speaker set, check out the SVS SBS-01 system. I own the PB10 sub. It's a fantastic sub, and not just for its price. Also, a good buddy of mine bought the SBS-01 system, and I can attest to their build and sound quality. They're not the most amazing speakers money can buy, but they're great, and provide lots of bang for the buck. They won't win any awards based on looks, but they're handsome enough. Anyway, if you want a full 5.1 system now, and don't want to wait, you'll be happy with the SVS system. http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

johnny p
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Get a PS3 for DVD/Blu-Ray.... this way it will decode the audio codecs, and you can get a cheaper receiver that way....

PS3 right now, Wall*Mart, gives a $100 gift card (so you can buy some movies :) ) so there is $400

Then, get a refurbed Marantz SR5001 from Accessories4less for $350 and it'll do PCM, and with the PS3 you'll have HD MA Audio...

I like the 600 series B&W speakers.... I'm guessing $1,000 will get you two towers and a center, and re-use your current speakers for surrounds (and $500 more for the ML Sub)

Then scrape some pennies up and get that 1080p projector !!!!!!!

Then, Get a ML DYNAMO sub for $500

Get a 1080P Sony Black pearl Projector

GMichael
06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
There's not that much left to say here. Make sure the receiver has HDMI. The speakers you have are fine, but don't match. You could upgrade those later. Here's a good place to poke around for ideas. Their speakers are very well made at a more than fair price. And you can send them back if you don't like them. http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37 Their "B" stock is worth looking into as well. Great prices for tiny blemishes that in most cases are out of sight.
The sub doesn't need to match the other speakers though. Here is what I'm using in a 700 sqft room. It does a fine job with both HT and music. It's a great big bang for the buck as they say. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-764
I second the PS/3 instead of a DVD player. Why go HD and then watch 480 DVD's? The audio from BR is a step up as well as the video.

Welcome to AR.
Mike

GMichael
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Get a 1080P Sony Black pearl Projector

I'm big on projectors too. Here are a few nice models. http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=3900&pid_2=3886&pid_3=3762&pid_4=3884&pid_5=4041&pid_6=4070

L.J.
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Great comments fellas! My only quick thought is to suggest something newer as far as an AVR is concerned. This will help to avoid limitations of some older gear. I would also suggest something that has preouts to add some flexbility. Yamaha 661 & 663 comes to mind. Not sure if the Onkyo 606 has preouts.....if not you'd have to step up to the 705.

bobsticks
06-02-2008, 05:27 PM
If it's me, and I'm dealing with those budget constraints, I do it in steps. I'd get an Infinity center channel for a couple hundred bucks. Keeping the tone similar over the front soundstage is the most important thing. As was stated, it seems like you're more into the video side of things so you might be very well satisfied with this configuration. If not, it will be easier to sell a matched set of three.

You can pick up a Sony Bravia 46inch LCD or a 50inch plasma from Panasonic for roughly 1500US and some change. You'll have to decide which meets your parameters more closely. I prefer a decent plasma for movies but LCDs can't be beat for computing/gaming applications.

I'll second the ML sub, and, while I can't claim to have ever heard a SVS sub I've also never heard a tale of unhappiness from an SVS owner.

I agree with the boyz that are sayin' to spend a little more on the receiver. HDMI is future served up right now. Make sure to get a v1.3 model, possible form Onkyo or Yamaha. Both get consistent and good reviews.

FWIW, I'm sure you're anxious to get going and get it all done but I find that I appreciate upgrades more when I do them in stages, if only because I get to live, learn and find good and fault with each step of the process. Plus in the meantime you can save up to make more substantive and well-thought out improvements.

Good luck and have fun.

Contentt
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Great stuff, all good ideas that I'm going to research. Thanks!

shokhead
06-05-2008, 05:44 AM
I just upgraded to this.

Denon 3808ci
Denon 2930ci
SVS PB12–Plus
Panasonic Plasma TH-46PZ85U
Directv HR21 receiver

f0rge
06-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I just upgraded to this.

Denon 3808ci