Axiom vs ProAc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom vs ProAc

Dogg
03-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi guys,

I'm living in Begium (Europe) therefore I can't hear the Millenia M80ti... it's a shame as it seems that it is highly praised here...
I did recently listen to the ProAc Studio 125 which are quite surprising to me... (just 1 tweeter and 1 driver but what a sound!)...

The thing is that I'm building an entire system from scratch so here's what I do have in mind...
CD source will be an Arcam CD93
PreAmp could be a Musical Fidelity A3.2 or a Rogue Audio Ninety Nine
The Amp will be a Musical fidelity A3.2 or a Rogue Audio Studio 90...

The system that was initialy planned was the CD93+MF PreAmp+2*MF PowerAmp (bi amping)+Studio 125
Now that I've heard about those tubes amps (Rogue) and Axiom... I'm no more 100% sure about my choice...
What's your opinion for the all system (I know that I also need to consider Interconnect and speaker cable)?
What's your opinion on speaker side?

Thx for your opinions ;)

bturk667
03-08-2004, 07:34 PM
First off, it would be helpful if we knew what your budget was. So take my, or any, suggestions with a grain of salt. That being written, I like the ProAc Studio 125's very much. I do not particularly like the sound of Musical Fidelity's solid state equipment. Since ProAc's are tube friendly, I say go with Rogue! Have you thought about the Rogue Audio Tempest Integrated amp? This way you save some cashso you can by a better source component. Say, the Arcam FMJ CD33; retails for @$2500. U.S..

Dogg
03-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Since ProAc's are tube friendly...

Could you please explain...?

bturk667
03-09-2004, 06:50 PM
They are an 8 ohm speaker, and their impedance is fairly flat. This makes them tube friendly. Their sensitivity, on the other hand, is a little below average, I believe @87db. If you like to listen to your music loudly you might need an amplifier with a wattage output about 60 wpc or higher.

I would seriously audition the Tempest. I really liked what I heard through a pair of Legacy speakers, who by the way are harder to drive than the ProAc's. The legacy are a 4 ohm speaker, but they more sensitive, @94 db.

Good luck, and do not rush into your decision.

Haoleb
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
the M80's are great speakers, but dont seem to sound best with tube power amps,. Their high sensitivity makes them ideal but their 4 ohm impedence makes them less than ideal. They like SS power and they seem to like alot of it. Instead of the musical fidelity which is probbly a little over rated you might want to look at the NAD C372 integrated. Its supposed to be quite a bit better than the older C370 and has 30 more wpc with a total of 150 wpc.