Cardinal flies under the radar? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal flies under the radar?

Slosh
05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
After being a big fan of Richard Davies' solo albums (especially Telegraph) I decided it was time to check out some of his older work with the 1994 self-titled Cardinal album. Initial impression is Cardinal isn't nearly as good as his solo stuff. I definitely need to spend more spin time with it though so maybe that impression will change. Anyway, if you want to sample it for yourself click here (http://www.mediafire.com/?qny5px2txm4).

Kind of along the same lines as Josh Ritter and John Vanderslice. Speaking of JV, I now have acquired all 6 of his albums. Just a few weeks ago I never even heard of him. Talk about obsessive/compulsive! :D

Davey
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Initial impression is Cardinal isn't nearly as good as his solo stuff.

Didn't I tell you awhile back to quit lying? That Cardinal record is amazing, what a team in Davies and Matthews. One of my favorites over the last couple years since finally breaking down and getting a copy myself. Hope you got the great sounding original and not the recent pumped up remaster with the bonus tracks, though have em both and like a lot of the bonus stuff. Can't open mediafire at work to check your version, but I probably posted a track in the Sounds Good thread from the original. For 10-song listening pleasure, the original is the only way to go, exactly like with Richard Buckner's Bloomed. Started a nice little thread over at http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=141215 awhile back and got much more response than my normal posts ever see. Lotta love for the Cardinal.

I think Davies worked with Matthews on the latest one he's been shopping around. Gotta say though, lately There's Never Been A Crowd Like This has often been playing when in the car, at least before the recent Vanderslice anomaly, and it may be my favorite of the moment. Very David Bowie sounding, even moreso than Cardinal and Telegraph. Got many cool hints of The Man Who Sold the World. Actually nominated one song for Rae's CRS-Volume "maybe someday in the far flung future this one will be done and distributed", but don't know how it fared http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Slosh
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Got the new CD with the bonus tracks. I consider myself lucky to have found it at all (locally). Sounds fine to me but then I've never heard the original mastering.

NP:

Stone
06-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Speaking of JV, I now have acquired all 6 of his albums. Just a few weeks ago I never even heard of him. Talk about obsessive/compulsive! :D

Now you need to get the MK Ultra albums too, then.

Davey
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Now you need to get the MK Ultra albums too, then.

More info! I've often wondered if I should explore the Moles (RD) and MK Ultra (JV). Well, not really very often, but probably get there one of these days of future passed. Speaking of future passed, does anyone else pick up some Tarkus-era ELP on the latest Portishead? I always thought that was close to their pinnacle (speaking ELP), though only their second. Too many stupid looking record covers after that one. But back to the band at the head of the river, I'm liking this one a lot, difficult third album that it is. Took a few listens, still gonna take a few more.

Davey
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Sounds fine to me but then I've never heard the original mastering.

Yea, ya never know what you've lost till it's gone. I'll up it sometime and pm you. Any big Richard Davies fan should have the good stuff, I could listen to "Silver Machines" over and over ...

NP: Califone EP

Motel sex still fresh on your hand?

:) Love that first one, though that silly Califone record player endless fadeout is kinda dumb. Was just listening to Califone doing a Stones' tribute from a couple years ago. Mostly Exile tunes, but "Miss You" is a lot of fun. Rutili and Masserella don't quite have that Jagger swagger in the vocals, but good playing, and decent sounding flac dl at http://www.owlandbear.com/2008/01/15/hosted-live-download-califone-september-24-2004-stones-covers/ ... but I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming ... they make some cool racket for that one too

Slosh
06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Yea, ya never know what you've lost till it's gone. I'll up it sometime and pm you. Any big Richard Davies fan should have the good stuff, I could listen to "Silver Machines" over and over ...Awesome! :)

Motel sex still fresh on your hand?

:) Love that first one, though that silly Califone record player endless fadeout is kinda dumb. Was just listening to Califone doing a Stones' tribute from a couple years ago. Mostly Exile tunes, but "Miss You" is a lot of fun. Rutili and Masserella don't quite have that Jagger swagger in the vocals, but good playing, and decent sounding flac dl at http://www.owlandbear.com/2008/01/15/hosted-live-download-califone-september-24-2004-stones-covers/ ... but I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming ... they make some cool racket for that one tooI didn't try it earlier because it says it's an audience recording, but since you say it sounds decent I'll give it a whirl soon . . .

NP: