Experience with DeoxIT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Experience with DeoxIT?

emaidel
05-30-2008, 04:21 AM
When I purchased my CS-5000 turntable almost a year ago, I was experiencing intermittent hum in the right channel, especially on one of the two supplied headshells.
When I wrote about that here, a few members suggested using DeoxIT to clean all the connections.

The hum went away, but occasionally came back, and the second headshell was all but useless, always leaving only a hum in the right channel with no signal at all. So, I finally looked up DeoxIT online, and ordered a small bottle. I have to say, this stuff works!

I remember "Tuner Cleaner" from many years back. Although tuner cleaner never claimed to "chemically improve conductivity" as does DeoxIT, it effective cleaned away a lot of crap from corroded items, and left no residue in the process. DeoxIT, on the other hand, makes quite a mess, which surprised me. It was almost like spraying the headshell's end, and the tonearm innards with WD-40!

Still, it works, and there's no hum whatsoever with either of the two headshells, and, I have to admit, there seems to be a somewhat cleaner sound as a result of using the stuff, though that difference is quite small. So, I"m asking other members who've used it, how did you clean up the mess it makes? Is there a spray-on denatured alcohol that can be used?

Any and all comments would be most welcome.

dingus
05-30-2008, 09:52 AM
i've only used it on amp and pre-amps that have controls, knobs, pots etc. (always with excellent results) and i've not noticed any mess or residue left behind. i use paper towel or kleenex below the area being treated to catch any excess drippings, but thats it, and i am not aware of any recommended after-treatment for the product.

emaidel
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
That's pretty much the same thing I did, so I guess I was right. And, it certainly did make a difference.

E-Stat
06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
DeoxIT, on the other hand, makes quite a mess, which surprised me. It was almost like spraying the headshell's end, and the tonearm innards with WD-40!
You're using waaay too much. Like Brylcream, a little dab will do 'ya. I use it religiously as I did with their older Cramolin product (of which I still have some twenty some years later).

I recommend cleaning ALL jacks and cables at least once a year. Even with gold plated connectors, oxidation occurs. Every time I use it, I see greenish-black grunge on the cleaning cloth. You've just removed a layer of audible grunge as well.

That supply will last you forever. :)

rw

Auricauricle
06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Bought a second hand DSP-A2070 (Yamaha) the other day. Filthy! The pots were a mess; the remote looked as though it was thrown into a pan of fried chicken (no kidding)...A couple of dabs and a skoosh or two of compressed air and the unit is singing quite happily (actually it's Roger Daltry at Carneigi Hall....).

Oh, yeah. Life's SIMPLE pleasures....