help grado sr80 or senn hd555 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help grado sr80 or senn hd555

winston
05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
i have been reading up a lot on the grado sr 80 & senn hd 55 can you guys plz. give me your opinion i dig 85% jazz playboy after dark 2 that kind of stuff. help me choose thanks in anticipation. newbi winston

aeh10
05-31-2008, 07:07 PM
The Senn's bass response is a bit lacking but overall they are pretty good headphones, I think you are referring to the wireless ones, I am not too familiar with the other brand but I hope this helps, oh the Senn's are also heavy on the head, I give them a 7 out of 10, and I think the benchmark for wireless headphones would be Panasonic's which are like 2 times more $$$. I hope this helps.

winston
06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
hi aeh10 thanks for yuor help..however i made a bo bo what i should have written was senn' hd 555 & grado sr 80 corded model. thx. winston

Hyfi
06-03-2008, 03:03 AM
I have the Grado 125s and love them. Although at times the full ear cover is good, I like the open air build of the Grados. You can clearly hear the music but can also be aware of your surroundings. Grado has real good bass and plenty of clarity.

noddin0ff
06-03-2008, 05:43 AM
I give the comfort nod to Senn.

winston
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I have the Grado 125s and love them. Although at times the full ear cover is good, I like the open air build of the Grados. You can clearly hear the music but can also be aware of your surroundings. Grado has real good bass and plenty of clarity.
yep hyfi i try out the 125s and i agree they sounds great but i did not pick them up.as after an hour plus demo they got uncomfortable on my head an ears but great sounds.thx winston.

winston
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
:2: :2:
I give the comfort nod to Senn.
and yes yes noddinoff they felt real nice an my head i try out the 595 & 555. care to say anything about the sound

winston
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
has anyone out there checked out some cans called (goldring) models dr50/100 and 150 let me know.

Hyfi
06-05-2008, 04:06 AM
yep hyfi i try out the 125s and i agree they sounds great but i did not pick them up.as after an hour plus demo they got uncomfortable on my head an ears but great sounds.thx winston.

Unfortunately, you have to buy cheap replacement ear foams from Rat Shack to solve that problem. I don't use them for lengthy listening but depending on head size and configuration, I understand your conclusions.

jrhymeammo
06-08-2008, 04:21 AM
I hate to sound like a smuck, but you boys really need to start considering Audio Technica cans. Both ATH-AD500 and 700 can be had for around $100 with a quick search.
To my head, they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Bass is very quick and tight, but unlike Grado, highs are extended AND very smooth.

JRA

winston
06-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I hate to sound like a smuck, but you boys really need to start considering Audio Technica cans. Both ATH-AD500 and 700 can be had for around $100 with a quick search.
To my head, they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Bass is very quick and tight, but unlike Grado, highs are extended AND very smooth.

JRA
thanks jra after all they are one of the original anolog player ill check them out

winston
06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
hi jrhymeammo i am trying get one of them ath-ad700 cans but i run into some stats problem. such as 53 mm driver or titanium alloy cord. do they all have the same drivers. what are the diffrence IN 700 line. punch us a line when ever time you look this way thanks winston...... hello other AR GUYS with K ON THE ABOVE FEEL FREE TO DROP A LINE. I CANT FIND THEM IN MIAMI YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANK ALL

jrhymeammo
06-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Winston,

I believe drivers used in AD500 and AD700 is exactly the same. I own a pair of AD1000 and I think they use same drivers as well. But difference in sound is there for each models.

Hope it helps,
JRA

noddin0ff
06-30-2008, 04:45 AM
:2: :2:
and yes yes noddinoff they felt real nice an my head i try out the 595 & 555. care to say anything about the sound

forgot about this thread, sorry. Nope, nothing comparative to say regarding Senn vs Grado. If it ain't comfy I'm not gonna wear it. I like circumaural ("around the ear") headphones, 'Course I'm not hopping on the bus and listening to my iPod with them. Don't want to look like a dork. But comfort comes first for me, then within comfort I see what quality my budget can afford at the time.

My first pair was the HD570, perhaps similar to the 555 at least in price. Cord to one side which I like. The second set I have are the 580s. I don't notice huge differences. The 580s seem more analytical at times and thus maybe less forgiving of source. The comfort factor and design of the 570s is very nice and for that I probably favor the 570s. However, I doubt the design is the same in the current generation of products. I got the 580s several years later.

winston
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Winston,

I believe drivers used in AD500 and AD700 is exactly the same. I own a pair of AD1000 and I think they use same drivers as well. But difference in sound is there for each models.

Hope it helps,
JRA

thanks jra that helps a lot i found a place down south miami i demo the 300. they sound great also its very lite.that said ill check out amazon to look for the 700.thanks for your help, winston

winston
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
forgot about this thread, sorry. Nope, nothing comparative to say regarding Senn vs Grado. If it ain't comfy I'm not gonna wear it. I like circumaural ("around the ear") headphones, 'Course I'm not hopping on the bus and listening to my iPod with them. Don't want to look like a dork. But comfort comes first for me, then within comfort I see what quality my budget can afford at the time.

My first pair was the HD570, perhaps similar to the 555 at least in price. Cord to one side which I like. The second set I have are the 580s. I don't notice huge differences. The 580s seem more analytical at times and thus maybe less forgiving of source. The comfort factor and design of the 570s is very nice and for that I probably favor the 570s. However, I doubt the design is the same in the current generation of products. I got the 580s several years later.
hi nodd thanks for your response and your advised i like the 555 its a great deal for a $100 bucks.:20: also i am about to buy audio tech 700.open air model winston.

jrhymeammo
07-12-2008, 05:00 AM
thanks jra that helps a lot i found a place down south miami i demo the 300. they sound great also its very lite.that said ill check out amazon to look for the 700.thanks for your help, winston

Winston,

That 3-D Wing Support is very comfortable as you've found out.
If you though ATH-AD300 sounded great, then you are going to love 700. They all have that similar sound/tone, but 700 will reproduce much bigger sound. You'll love them.

JRA

winston
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Winston,

That 3-D Wing Support is very comfortable as you've found out.
If you though ATH-AD300 sounded great, then you are going to love 700. They all have that similar sound/tone, but 700 will reproduce much bigger sound. You'll love them.

JRA
yes jra. i finally got my ATH-AD700 just last week i waited all this time as i was shopping price point wise.maan this is one nice set of cans, i got them for $100 + $13. shipping. (like you said in one of your post the brand name is what holding back.) forum members audiophiles should take a look at them ATS line. and jra that pink? is beautiful..smile.its not like (pink pink), thanks for your contribution to this thread" helping me to find them cans...regards winston :0:

jrhymeammo
09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Right on, Winston!!

Pretty soon, people will realize they got conned into buying Grado Prestige series.

Give'em at least 100 hours to break-in. Just press repeat on your CDP and let'em play for about a week. One of the greatest value in audio, leaving others in dust.

Have Fun,
JRA