PS3 Sound via Optical Output. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Sound via Optical Output.

natronforever
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,

Quick question - Is BlueRay audio via the optical out on the PS3 better than the standard DVD audio? I don't have a HDMI receiver, and the PS3 doesn't have multi-channel RCA outputs, so should I buy one, I'd be forced to use the optical output for audio. I know DVD tracks are somewhat compressed - particularly the Dolby Digital tracks. How about the Dolby Digital tracks played from BlueRay? Are they the same as DVD Dolby Digital tracks? Are any current BR disks even shipping with DDHD or DTSHD? Anyway, I was just curious.

f0rge
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
output over optical is the standard DD and DTS tracks, basically the same as you would have on a standard DVD.

i know DD runs around 640kbps, DTS a bit higher.

most Blurays are shipping with HD audio, either Dolby, DTS or PCM.

and yes, there is a MASSIVE difference.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Yup, just what he said. We'll need to go HDMI to get the new formats.

f0rge
05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
however, that being said, if your set supports 1080p the visual upgrade alone is pretty outstanding.

natronforever
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I'm now curious as to why I've heard some people without HDMI lauding the quality of BR audio. You know, the people who "can't believe how much better it sounds", even though they're just listening to the standard DD or DTS tracks. Could it be that some of the standard tracks in BR are of higher quality than those found on the corresponding DVDs? Or, are people just so impressed with 1080p that they think they're hearing better audio?

f0rge
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
i decided to actually look it up, apparently the max bitrate for DD on a DVD is 448kbps, and on bluray 640kbps.

so there's technically a small difference, but i dont think you could hear it.

to compare the max bitrate for Dolby TrueHD is 18mbps (or 18,000kbps)

natronforever
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the good info. Man, I kind of wish the PS3 had discrete outputs, now that it has onboard decoding capabilities.