The exact moment I became a fanboy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The exact moment I became a fanboy

bobsticks
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
There's a relatively openminded group of characters around here...but with metal, not so much. Fine by me, most of it I don't care for either but every once in a while...I latched on to "Children of Bodom" partially because of their re-introduction of the keyboard into hard music but mostly because of their clearly outstanding musical capabilities. Excepting the occasional cookie monster growl they're pretty straight forward and I would imagine accessible to some of you prog chaps.

Here's a clip of an instrumental demonstration which displays a serious classical influence and mastery of their instruments:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iLIhLv8LuY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iLIhLv8LuY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

OTOH, here's when I knew I was a fan. I'm diggin' their worldview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhAxlMrdIo&feature=related

Finch Platte
05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I latched on to "Children of Bodom" partially because of their re-introduction of the keyboard into hard music but mostly because of their clearly outstanding musical capabilities. Excepting the occasional cookie monster growl they're pretty straight forward and I would imagine accessible to some of you prog chaps.

Nail/head. I picked up a sampler from the LRS and one of the tunes from CoB was on there. I'd also read about them in a metal mag and it mentioned the keyboards. I liked the tune, so I picked up the disc and it focking rawks. Great stuff.

I'm really getting into Symphony X lately, too. They aren't as hard as CoB, but they have the keys, and a singer who sings, and they're progressive.

Thanks for the linky to CoB vid. Gonna check it out rat new.

fp

Swish
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Mastery over their instruments? Ya think? Couple of wankers is all I saw.

Swish - no time for such nonsense

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Then why'd ya look? :eek6:

Swish
05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Then why'd ya look? :eek6:

...general direction of Bobsticks? Not on your life.

Swish - let me entertain you

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I just like when I have the opportunity to use that smiley. The bulging eyes make me laugh.

This is a good one too. :yikes:

bobsticks
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Everyone can't be uncoordinated enough to just strum Swisheroo. I suppose you'd like me to overlook the fact that they're actually an amped up version of Rodrigo y Gabriela or Ortega y Gasset or whoever that duo was that you got a woody for...right down to the ionian, phrygian and harmonic minor changes.

kexodusc
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I love CoB. Gotta admit, I'm finding fewer and fewer heavier rock/metal acts to turn to what with Indy Rock officially dead after over a decade of continuing to copy itself over, and over and over again in the same old boring, simple, non-musical 3 minute formulas engineered for the producing the cheap pop, and alternative rock somehow evolving into whatever Linkin' Park is, it's nice to see there's still creative musicians out there that can merge mechanics and masterful songwriting to create great tunes.

These guys are pretty close to Symphony X IMO, but I think are actually more popular on the current metal scene. Highly recommended.

Finch Platte
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM

You know, I listened to the new John Hiatt, and I gotta say, I'd rather listen to "wankers" like CoB, who at least practice their instruments, than old men such as JH & crew; who sound like they're on the verge of falling asleep in the studio (after they've wanked) as they crank out album #18 (or is it #118?) of stories and chords we've all heard before a hunnert million times... :sosp:

fp <------- Knows wankers when he hears 'em.

kexodusc
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Now hear this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cm-w62o9o8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cm-w62o9o8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Now hear this:

I could live without the silly camera tricks, but that was freakin' awesome.

Wank on!!! :3:

bobsticks
05-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, there's wanking and thenm there's proper wanking.

Actually, I think Yngwie was only tolerable when he was functioning within a song structure, and then only for the first couple of albums...that one did become a wankathon.
Here's a clip off an instructional video and while the backing arrangements are a bit muddy to decipher it's fun to watch those fingers fly. Around the 4 minute mark he seems a little lost in the wank and at 5:13 he clearly misses an arpeggiated run by a step, but hey, it's all in good fun.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/byh9EEqr6Js&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/byh9EEqr6Js&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

His career has been marred by multiple divorces, drinking and alcohol addiction and a propensity for crashing cars. One of these auto crashes resulted in a temporary paralysis from which he had to completely reteach himself how to play the instrument. Most argue that he never really returned to full form and recently he did some work with the New Japan Philharmonic which seems to validate this.

I posted a clip of some Asian kid playing this very song and looking completely bored in a not-so-long-ago thread that nobody read: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26998

....um, sorry Davey 'boutcha thread.

Mr Peabody
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I'll have to wanking check 'em out. I believe I heard some Amazon samples that didn't do much for me. Any album better than another?

Yngwie's first album is an excellent and unique master piece but nothing he done since can compare. The record suits tried to push him into a "hair band" mold and it just didn't work. Maybe he was ahead of his time.

Come on, you guys and show some support, visit my Phideaux thread. They aren't CoB but you might like 'em.

Troy
05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
These guys are the musical equivalent of sewing machines. Repetitive, mechanistic.

I recommend you play all the clips in this thread at the same time to get the full aural effect.

Swish
05-29-2008, 06:48 AM
You know, I listened to the new John Hiatt, and I gotta say, I'd rather listen to "wankers" like CoB, who at least practice their instruments, than old men such as JH & crew; who sound like they're on the verge of falling asleep in the studio (after they've wanked) as they crank out album #18 (or is it #118?) of stories and chords we've all heard before a hunnert million times... :sosp:

...and prefer listening to 'young men' found in such bands as The National, Spoon, The Decemberists, The Shins, none of which has more than 6 or 7 albums in their catalog. And none of them boasts masturbatory guitarists who are trying to impress those of you who are easily impressed with bombastic exercises that showcase the 'mastery of their instruments'. Spare me.

Actually I used to be impressed by these kind of wankers, until I reached puberty.:prrr:

Swish - too old for such nonsense.

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
...and prefer listening to 'young men' found in such bands as The National, Spoon, The Decemberists, The Shins, none of which has more than 6 or 7 albums in their catalog. And none of them boasts masturbatory guitarists who are trying to impress those of you who are easily impressed with bombastic exercises that showcase the 'mastery of their instruments'. Spare me.

Actually I used to be impressed by these kind of wankers, until I reached puberty.:prrr:

Swish - too old for such nonsense.

Temper, temper crankyboy. I have multiple discs by all the bands you listed and enjoy them, and those styles immensely. I also think it's more than fair to say that a certain style or genre may not be to my, or anyone else's preference. If bombastic exercise ain't your thang then cool but I suspect even you realize that criticizing talent and commitment becomes self-negating for a music fan. There's a place at some table for everyone.

Sticks--eagerly awaiting the Big Daddy Swish Web Cam Guitar Wankathon on YouTube

Swish
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Temper, temper crankyboy. I have multiple discs by all the bands you listed and enjoy them, and those styles immensely. I also think it's more than fair to say that a certain style or genre may not be to my, or anyone else's preference. If bombastic exercise ain't your thang then cool but I suspect even you realize that criticizing talent and commitment becomes self-negating for a music fan. There's a place at some table for everyone.

Sticks--eagerly awaiting the Big Daddy Swish Web Cam Guitar Wankathon on YouTube

I actually got the stick man to chastise me for being the old curmudgeon that I am, and am now basking in the bright light and it feels wunderbar.

Keep one thing in mind; if you're going to put youtube videos on this site, or post about some great prog/metal/world//raggae/techno/trance/electronic/rave record that you find interesting, then ask for comments, not all will be kind. I was obviously laying it on pretty thick in my attempt to busy your balls, but I really, really, really don't care for that crap, although I prolly would have back in the day when I bought my first Les Paul knock-off and dreamed of playing like that. Now I just like songs, although they can incorporate some great leads that aren't too lengthy, ala Nels Cline of Wilco. His leads are pretty awesome, but they always seem to fit the song and not overpower it, ala Eddie VH, who is very talented, but is just so full of himself that it strangles their songs.

Now go get some sleep. I need some after a few Hop Back Ales.

Swish

Heywood Djahblomie
05-29-2008, 08:54 PM
II really, really, really don't care for that crap

yer a man after my own heart, sorta
I hate prog, but yer music sucks too
and you have the same bad tastes in sports teams

I guess you got no choice in Penisveinya

eat me

Go wings

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Kinda hard to follow that...

...ball busy-er

Heywood Djahblomie
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Now go get some sleep. I need some after a few Hop Back Ales.

nah yer probly drinkin Genny lights

Swish
05-30-2008, 03:36 AM
yer a man after my own heart, sorta
I hate prog, but yer music sucks too
and you have the same bad tastes in sports teams

I guess you got no choice in Penisveinya

eat me

Go wings

...using your old identity again you mother! My taste in sports teams comes with the territory, much like yours...so the Wings are your back-up team since they took care of your Stars? And now the Spurs are done? That leaves the Cowboys, and you know they're going nowhere again this year, especially since they'll need a parole officer in the huddle this year.

Swish - bite me!

ForeverAutumn
05-30-2008, 06:05 AM

I still enjoy a good wanking. ;)

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2008, 06:26 AM
...using your old identity again you mother! My taste in sports teams comes with the territory, much like yours...so the Wings are your back-up team since they took care of your Stars? And now the Spurs are done? That leaves the Cowboys, and you know they're going nowhere again this year, especially since they'll need a parole officer in the huddle this year.

Swish - bite me!
You're not talking about me are you? I wouldn't be able to spell that guy's last name even if my life depended on it!!!

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2008, 06:28 AM

But don't count on the RR forum to be one of those tables. :rolleyes:

ForeverAutumn
05-30-2008, 06:40 AM
But don't count on the RR forum to be one of those tables. :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, we know, you think we're cliquey.

These comments are getting tiresome.

Swish
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
You're not talking about me are you? I wouldn't be able to spell that guy's last name even if my life depended on it!!!
...used to be a regular, but now he just shows up with this pseudonym every so often and busts some chops. I'm having fun with it though, especially since I know who he is.

Swish - won't get fooled again.

Heywood Djahblomie
05-30-2008, 11:41 PM
...used to be a regular, but now he just shows up with this pseudonym every so often and busts some chops. I'm having fun with it though, especially since I know who he is.

Swish - won't get fooled again.

boy are you way off

Texas?

Texas!

only 2 things come from texas, and youve "dated" both

so much fer not gettin fooled agin

might need to back off the foo-foo beer for a while

Swish
05-31-2008, 02:57 AM
boy are you way off

Texas?

Texas!

only 2 things come from texas, and youve "dated" both

so much fer not gettin fooled agin

might need to back off the foo-foo beer for a while

...I'm pretty sure I know you. Foo-foo beer? Are you kidding me? 7% ABV isn't girly by any means. You prolly drink Coors Light...and maybe Turbo Dog on occasion.

Swish

Heywood Djahblomie
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
...I'm pretty sure I know you.

I doubt it quaker boy
you wouldnt last a day where i been
and whats with this stuff of saying i aint who I say i am?

old moniker?

psuedonym? you mean like swish, is that yer real name?

bobsticks
06-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Keep one thing in mind; if you're going to put youtube videos on this site, or post about some great prog/metal/world//raggae/techno/trance/electronic/rave record that you find interesting, then ask for comments, not all will be kind.

Swish

Of course I realize that---that's why I do it. Sometimes this place is like a morgue and needs a little shaking up. It's hard enough to get y'all curmudgeons posting so sometimes a cat's gotta instigate a bit. Besides...

...it can't all be jingley-jangley.

http://mgn.musicgiants.com/mgnv2/version3/artwork/e2f76325-7ec1-4d95-8836-7e1637f71ce7medium.jpg

Swish
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Of course I realize that---that's why I do it. Sometimes this place is like a morgue and needs a little shaking up. It's hard enough to get y'all curmudgeons posting so sometimes a cat's gotta instigate a bit. Besides...

...it can't all be jingley-jangley.

http://mgn.musicgiants.com/mgnv2/version3/artwork/e2f76325-7ec1-4d95-8836-7e1637f71ce7medium.jpg

...should change my name to Swishkabob, so I like to dish it out whenever I see a glimpse of daylight. And I think morgues see more action than this place most days. It wasn't always like that. We lost so many regulars over the years, many of whom are actually missed. :yesnod:

Swish - I could name names, but we've been down that road many times, right DLD, JDaniel, Alung, AudioGirl, RPM, Jar, Darius, cc, Snowbunny,Demetrio, bradc, maf, CZ, TodH, Les, dbi...

Finch Platte
06-03-2008, 07:26 AM
More serious wankin' for ye:

Randall Padilla

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZR0svVwWjY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZR0svVwWjY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:4: :ciappa:

fp

bobsticks
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
O.K. maybe we've found what I consider "the line". That was a serious wankathon. Yeah, he's got some technical acumen but that sounded like a warm-up. Mebbe a little too modal but I do like the "blues wank" in addition to the "neoclassical wank". Ol' boy should listen to some Kenny Wayne Shepard. Interesting riff at 2;44 though...