Of Montreal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Of Montreal

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 07:03 AM
This is a band that doesn't get mentioned much around here but I suspect that there are a few fans hanging about.

GranSwishDaddy first introduced me to this band with a copy of Sunlandic Twins. I was a little surprised that I liked it as much as I did. As most of you know, this isn't the kind of stuff that I would normally listen to but I listened with an open mind and found that I really enjoyed the quirkiness of that CD.

Since then, I have purchased Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies; Icons, Abstract Thee; and Satanic Panic in the Attic.

Coquelicot is probably my favourite so far. I say "so far" because I'm pretty sure that I'm not finished collecting this band's CDs.

They remind me a bit of the Scissor Sisters. Not in musical content but more in the quirky strangeness of the lyrics and music. There is a whimsicalness about Of Montreal that is very endearing. Strangely, I find that same whimsical feel in the Scissor Sisters, but they have a much darker more cynical whimsy.

Stone
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm a fan, but you have a couple I don't, including Coquelicot. Their latest one is very good as well. I should listen again soon, but from what I've heard, I still like Sunlandic Twins the best.

It was number 1! (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14937&page=3&highlight=montreal+stone)

Feanor
05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
This is a band that doesn't get mentioned much around here but I suspect that there are a few fans hanging about.

I lived in Montreal for over 20 years but I've never heard of them. Then again it's been almost 40 years since I lived there. :o

Ex Lion Tamer
05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I lived in Montreal for over 20 years but I've never heard of them. Then again it's been almost 40 years since I lived there. :o

Not sure if this is a serious post - but Of Montreal are not of Montreal - I believe they're of Athens (GA).

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
It looks like ELT is correct, but not from lack of trying other cities...

The brainchild of singer/guitarist Kevin Barnes, euphoric indie popsters Of Montreal were among the second wave of bands to emerge from the sprawling Elephant 6 collective. A native of Athens, GA, Barnes was inspired to form the group in the wake of a broken romance with a woman from Montreal; signing to Bar/None while living in Florida, he subsequently moved to Cleveland and Minneapolis in search of compatible bandmates, finally returning home to collaborate with bassist Bryan Helium (also a member of Athens' Elf Power) and drummer Derek Almstead.
(excerpt from AMG)