Good amp/receiver for speakers?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good amp/receiver for speakers??

cernekus
05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
i recently bought a pair of these speakers:

http://www.mtxhome.com/p/prosumer/tp212.aspx

what would be a good amp/receiver that would fit the specs of the speakers?? the amp i have now, i think, is overpowering them, causing them to have a buzz, like a 'too much power' buzz....

any help would be greatly appreciated!

here is the amp i have now: http://www.technicalhifi.com/prods.php?prod=H-B2000

markw
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Those speakers are a four ohm load so finding a receiver to drive them, particularly at the levels you seem to like to listen, will be a difficult task.

Normally, speakers do well with an excess of power if common sense is used. If they sound funky, turn them down before permanant damage occurs.

Remember, these are not "Hi-fi" speakers. They would not be my choice for a music system for home use. They are sound reinforcement speakers. made for pro and semi-pro applications to fill a large area with loud, medicore sound and absorb a lot of power. They will play loud but their sound may not be up the the standards you may want and turning them up will not make them sound "better", just louder. ...up to a point, and I think you've found and exceeded that point. From your descripton you might even be stressing the amp.

Your amp can deliver all the power these need and them some. If used wisely, they should be a fine match. The obvious solution, to me at least, is to simply not play 'em so loud. That way they will have some reserve left over for peaks.

cernekus
05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
sorry, i didnt make myself clear before...

but my problem isnt overpowering them with the music too loud... before even turning the music on, there is a buzz, like an electronic hum, from the speakers...

i dont know if this helps, but there is a "Source Pre-Out" knob along with the master volume knob; if i turn the Pre-Out all the way down, there is little to no buzz (and when i turn it up, the buzz gets louder), but if i don't turn that knob at all, no sound comes out...

when i press the MUTE button on the remote, the buzzing stops, so it shouldnt be the connection, right?? could it possibly be something with the amp itself? like a blown fuse or something?? (i dont even know if there are fuses in this, but could it be something mechanical like that??)

thanks for the help!!!

markw
05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
That's an elecrtrical problem. It sounds like it 's either in the preamp section or before, like a grounding issue in the source connections. You may want to start there and isolate the problem by disconnecting the offending sources, one at a time until it goes away.

cernekus
05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
would it be best to take it in somewhere to get it fixed??

what do you mean by 'disconnecting the offending sources'? like take the cover off and disconnect stuff? if so, like what?

cernekus
06-08-2008, 04:52 PM
i think the preamp is messed up....