DVD players that can play Divx via usb/hd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD players that can play Divx via usb/hd

evobda2
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi guys,

Couldnt find exactly what i was after in previous threads.. If there has already been an answer to this then please by all means post the link.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent high quality/brand DVD player that can play movies from an external source like a harddrive via usb? (Possibly around the $600-$1200 mark)

(when i mean "decent", im currently looking at Cambridge Audio dvd players and new XD amplifiers for my main living room. As the system is more aimed at good quality 2-channel than surround sound. And i also want the components to match ie: same brand for dvd/cd/amplifier).

I currently have a HK dvd47 which plays divx movies burnt on disc in my bedroom system but does not have a usb input.

I was just wondering if there were such products available yet?

Any ideas and help would be great!
Cheers

Evan

pixelthis
05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Might be, dont know.
but you dont need it really, a lot of pre-pro and receivers have USB and ethernet.
THAT WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET, although their connection might be audio only.
My solution for getting video and audio out of computers is a ATI graphic card with dvi
and rgb out, with a usb soundcard for audio through toslink(optical)
Problem with USB on a standalone DVD is that it would facilitate copying,
something that studios try to squash:1:

f0rge
05-28-2008, 12:11 PM
two options i can think of off the top of my head:

1. ps3 - will play divx via connected HDD or over network, can also store files on the internal HDD.

2. hacked Apple TV - will play just about any format, mostly over your network. can also store files on the internal HDD.

the apple TV is cheap enough (~$300) that you could still get a REALLY good DVD player. info on an easy hack here: http://gizmodo.com/393428/hack-apple-tv-in-one-step-with-the-atv-flash-drive

i know they dont match, but they're not really "components" either.