Thoughts on Phideaux? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Phideaux?

Mr Peabody
05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
I bought their album, Fiendish and found it very good. This album is from 2004 I believe. I don't know how to describe them. I'd say those who enjoy Prog or like more substance to their music would tend to enjoy them. This album the band uses various instruments, on one song it even sounds like a harpsichord, clever lyrics, catchy melodies to arrive at a very entertaining musical journey. The band has a main male vocalist, whose delivery at times reminds me of the singer from R.E.M., some of the lyrics are sung by a small chorus of female vocals. This isn't the type of chorus like Nightwish or Tristania, they are more like Polyphonic Sprees, if you've ever heard them. The album has a Pink Floyd pace to it, plenty to keep your attention and I don't think you will get bored, it's just not a heavy album and they just let the songs unfold.

So if any of you are into Phideaux give your thoughts and suggestions of other albums. Those who aren't should check them out I think it's right up this crowds alley.

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't like the name...sounds too French.

ForeverAutumn
05-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey Mr. Body. I'm not ignoring you, I just haven't had time to check these guys out yet. Thanks for the post. Keep 'em coming.

Mr Peabody
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
My next title by them will be Doomsday Afternoon. It sounds like a few of their albums may have a bit more edge to them. Not this album though it sounds more Prog and PF like.

Finch Platte
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't like the name...sounds too French.

Were they named after someone's dog?

fp

Mr Peabody
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
French for Fido? I wish I did know what was up with the name.

ForeverAutumn
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
French for Fido? I wish I did know what was up with the name.

According to their MySpace page the vocalists name is Phideaux Xavier. Mystery solved...and very cool name.

I listened to several of their songs and they aren't doing much for me. I think that I would get bored with a full album. They aren't spacy enough to just zone out to and they aren't crunchy enough to head bang to. The music is good, it's just a little too even keel all around. There's nothing exciting here IMO. With so much music and so little time, this band isn't likely to find room on my shelf.

IZZ and Cryptic Vision are similar bands with a lot more punch IMO.

But keep those recs coming!!

BarryL
06-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I have one of their albums based on five star reviews on amazon. I can't remember which one. After about five or six listens, I came to enjoy it a lot. It's not prog, but it is pretty melodic neo-art-rock. I wouldn't say the album I have is great, but it's a lot more listenable than a lot of other stuff. I think if you like Queensryche from around the Empire era, you might like this band.