jo09
05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Firstly Hi to everyone on here,

I am looking for your opinions on my current setup:

Amplifier: Sony STR-DB2000

CD Player: Marantz CD5001

Multi-CD Player: Marantz CD3000

Speakers: Sony SS-MB250H

Please let me know what you think about current setup and anyway I could improve it (don't have a massive budget).

Thanks Guys

blackraven
05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
The CD player is a keeper. I would consider buying new speakers. If you only have $200-300, I would consider the PSB Alpha B's, Infinity Beta20's, Infinity Primus 162's, Wharfedale Diamonds, Monitor Audio B-1's to name a few.

Second, I would eventually replace the receiver with some thing like the Harmon Kardon 3485 which can be found on amazon.com for $250. Its a great budget 2ch amp with 120wpc and high current.

Let us know what your budget is so that we can make better recommendations!

RGA
05-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Definitely start with speakers from a company that makes good speakers.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forums Joe.

It would also help to know what if anything you aren't happy with in your system. Do you use this system for home theater as well as music? What type of music do you listen to and how loud?

My thought is your system is nicer entry level gear. I find Sony gear tends to be very bright but the warmth of the Marantz 5001 was a nice choice to add balance to the system.

basite
05-27-2008, 07:59 AM
agreed, the first thing you should look for are new speakers, I would, however, recommend you to save a little and aim for something like a Monitor audio B-2 (I found them exellent, and a huge step up from the B-1's...)

next step would be to get a better amp...

the cd player is exellent for it's price (I have a 5001 OSE myself, and it does pretty well in my setup now, and my setup is pretty revealing...)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jo09
05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
First - Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

So from your comments this is what I need to do:

CD Players: Keepers

Speakers: Change for Monitor B-2

Amp: ????

I just listen to CD's and sometimes the radio. So I can do with a really nice 2-channel Amp.

Speaker Budget: $200-250

Amp: $250-300

Anymore ideas/thoughts would be great.

GMichael
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't see a subwoofer on your list. If you are into HT at all, it's a big part of it. If all you care about is music, then you may not need one. But it does help until you are ready to spend mega-bucks on hi end amps & speakers.

blackraven
05-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Jo, I agree with the MA B-2's, I actually meant to say B-2's instead of the B-1's. Also consider the PSB Alpha B's which are a stereophile recommended budget speaker. and can be had for under $200 a pair
You should also listen to the infinity's I mentioned. There are a few people here who have the Beta's and like them for the price. I bought a pair of infinity Primus 160's for my daughter for $169 and they sound better than the Monitor Audio S-1's that I recently bought which list for $600. The Primus 162's were also recommended by stereophile.

Also, give a listen to the HK receiver, its a real steal at the amazon price for an amp that has 45amps of peak current and 120wpc. It has preamp and sub out's.

Also consider the Onkyo TX8522 2ch receiver.

blackraven
05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Jo, if you have about $500 total to spend then you should spend it all on speakers for now and upgrade your amp later. You will get the most improvement in sound this way.

GMichael
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
I have 2 pair of the Primus 150's. They do sound very nice. A neutral sound. Front ported, so you can put them almost anywhere. But they are a little lacking in base for me. It depends on what kind of music you like and what your tastes are, but you may find them lacking as well.

jo09
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Just out of interest:

1) What is lacking about my current amp?

2) Should I keep my Marantz CD3000 or replace it with a TEAC PD 2610

PDN
05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Definetly keep the Marantz CD5001. I believe that's the consensus of this group's feedback to you. You really don't need the CD3000 changer if you're going to stay with the CD5001. IMO, CD changers are really not true audiophile units if you know what I mean. Single drawers are the way to go. Apply the money from that sale to new loudspeakers and go with speakers that are manufactured by a company that makes only speakers. Keep your Sony STR-DB2000 A-V receiver and up your speaker budget. Try the B&W 685's for around $600.00. You'll love them. Monitor Audio, PSB, and NHT are also good brands to audition. Are you not going to utilize your receiver with its full 5.1 surround sound capability or use it as a 2 channel set up?