25 Years ago today.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years ago today....

Bernd
05-26-2008, 07:38 AM
..... I rolled into Glen Helen Park, just outside San Bernadino Valley California and spent the wildest 5 Days of my life there:

http://www.usfestivals.com

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but hey, here you go.

I pitched my tent and had the time of my life. By the end of the festival two people were dead. Died on the toilet stoned from the fumes. My car was gone and I had sampled BBQ'ed Rattlesnake for the first time, and little did we know that we've just seen the last ever performance of The Clash. I made some great friends, with whom I am still in touch today.:thumbsup: They don't hold festivals like that any more. More the pity. Just thought I post it here for those who are interested and to share in my amazement that I am still alive and kicking.
I often wondered if any of our members were there too.

Peace

:21:

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
That's very cool Bernd. Can't say that I was there, but I do have a DVD of Triumph's performance there. Does that count for anything? Nah, probably not.

What do you think happened to your car?

bobsticks
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Twenty-five years ago I was just starting to play the cello---which at the time was taller than I. It wasn't until much later in that decade that the debauchery started for me.

Bernd
05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
That's very cool Bernd.

What do you think happened to your car?

I have no idea, it just vanished. It was just an old banger I picked up. Ford I think. My upper arms were sunburned and behind me stood a guy who must have been in love with Chrissie Hynde as he kept shouting I love you Chrissie whilst rubbing his stubbly chin onto my sunburn. What a nightmare. Can't remember much of the Pretenders set.:mad5:

Swish
05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
By the end of the festival two people were dead. They don't hold festivals like that any more. Peace

But that's just me.

Swish

bobsticks
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't know. I prefer my music festivals devoid of death. --Old Man Swish

Interesting. I can go either way with it.

Bernd
05-26-2008, 10:12 PM
But that's just me.

Swish

Me too. It's just what happened. Dead on the Throne comes to mind.

Troy
05-27-2008, 07:03 AM
That was the last performance of Wall of Voodoo as well. They reformed without Stan Ridgway shortly afterward for a couple more albums, but the US Festival was the end of that band too.

Bernd
05-27-2008, 07:12 AM
That was the last performance of Wall of Voodoo as well. They reformed without Stan Ridgway shortly afterward for a couple more albums, but the US Festival was the end of that band too.

And my first exposure to Stan Ridgway. Been a fan ever since. I thought they were superb. Thanks for the info. Where is the time gone? The BBC last year did a documentary on The Clash and mentioned the US83 festval and on some close up shots, there is my ugly face amongst the sweat.:eek6:

audio amateur
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
And my first exposure to Stan Ridgway. Been a fan ever since. I thought they were superb. Thanks for the info. Where is the time gone? The BBC last year did a documentary on The Clash and mentioned the US83 festval and on some close up shots, there is my ugly face amongst the sweat.:eek6:
You don't have to be so modest Bernd. We all know you're handsome