Revisiting R.E.M. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting R.E.M.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2008, 05:40 AM
With the REM show only two weeks away I've been going back and revisiting some REM CDs that I haven't listened to in a long time. Man, am I ever enjoying them! I've always loved this band, but they've been out of the spotlight for a while and I guess not very forefront in my mind because of it (so much music, so little time). But pretty much every album that they've put out is solid in it's own way. They have a very distinct sound, yet they never get boring.

I am especially finding New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Reveal to be two disks that I never paid a lot of attention to and feel like I really missed out. Rediscovery is a wonderful thing.

noddin0ff
05-26-2008, 07:13 AM
New Adventures ranks near or sometimes at the top of my R.E.M. list. I more or less stopped buying with Up. Should I be checking out Reveal?

Davey
05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I've been listening to Murmur off and on the last couple weeks after not hearing it for a long time, and gotta say that's always been my favorite by far. I honestly only followed them up through the indie years initially, then later picked up Automatic which became one of my favorites too. Think I have the vinyl of New Adventures in Hi-Fi stuck away in a box, but like you I don't recall playing it more than a couple times. Have to dig it back out one of these days.

bobsticks
05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Automatic For The People on DVD-A is scary good.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been listening to Murmur off and on the last couple weeks after not hearing it for a long time, and gotta say that's always been my favorite by far. I honestly only followed them up through the indie years initially, then later picked up Automatic which became one of my favorites too. Think I have the vinyl of New Adventures in Hi-Fi stuck away in a box, but like you I don't recall playing it more than a couple times. Have to dig it back out one of these days.

This could have just as easily been written by me - except that I don't have New Adbventures and while I did get Automatic just a few years ago, it has yet to become a favorite. Murmer is still numero uno R.E.M. for me, I enjoy everything up to and including Document, including the EP Chronic Town. Not sure I'll end up getting this new one as I think if I need to have a taste of R.E.M. I have plenty to keep me satisfied.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
New Adventures ranks near or sometimes at the top of my R.E.M. list. I more or less stopped buying with Up. Should I be checking out Reveal?

I like Reveal, there's some good stuff on it. But if you were going to buy something post Up, I'd probably recommend their new one.

Mr MidFi
05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
You just knew I'd show up in this thread sooner or later, din't you FA? I'm also looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks...and I think the new songs will be awesome live.

New Adventures is a great disc that (like most of their stuff) needs more than a few casual listens to sink in. One of my top-5 favorites from them, and a strong contender for the title of "Most Underrated Album by a Major Band". Reveal is also a good listen, but not at the same high level IMO.

But my favorite remains Reckoning. Mostly because it strongly evokes a time and place for me (namely the 1980s and Athens, GA).

The only ones that I just don't ever listen to are Up and Out of Time. There are some good tracks on each, but they are few and far between.

(My personal REM trivia fact: I talked Peter Buck into buying his first CD player.)

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Out of Time is okay. I prefer Automatic For the People. For some reason I always lump those two disks together. Maybe because they were both such big commercial hits.

I listened to Up yesterday and it didn't do much for me. As you say, some good stuff but not as solid as other disks. Right now I'm spinning (do iPods spin?) Around the Sun.

I don't have Reckoning or Murmer, but I may place an Amazon order later today. :thumbsup:

Mr MidFi
05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Well, if your pod has a hard disk...it's a-spinnin' inside!

Around the Sun is consistently enjoyable, and the songs on it are all very well-crafted and tasteful. But...it never gets exciting. It's just content to remain competent. There are worse things you can say about an album.

Hard to believe that nearly a quarter-century has come and gone since Murmur & Reckoning dropped. Is this the part of the thread where I start to bemoan my advancing years?

Suffice to say that both titles are among my all-time desert island discs. But I'm an unabashed fanboy, so take what I say with an obvious grain of salt. I guess they would both probably sound dated to some folks.

Bernd
05-27-2008, 08:05 AM
All this talk about REM live, has made my mind up. I have just booked my ticket for Aug 24th. have been uhming and ahing about that gig for some time, but since I have never seen them live and before it's too late, I shall go. I also like Adventures very much. Always have and I think it is very much an under-rated album.

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2008, 09:17 AM
All this talk about REM live, has made my mind up. I have just booked my ticket for Aug 24th. have been uhming and ahing about that gig for some time, but since I have never seen them live and before it's too late, I shall go. I also like Adventures very much. Always have and I think it is very much an under-rated album.

Nice move Bernd. I'm glad that we could be an influence in your decision. :3: