Sony LCD with Red Splotches? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony LCD with Red Splotches?

jarnold
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a Sony Grand Vega 50" LCD and about 1 1/2 years old I am noticing a light Pinkish red splotches in about a 1 foot diameter area on the center. They are random I I also have a few green splotches. It is fained but noticeable when the screen is light or a bright background. This is such Bull that I didn't not even have it payed for. Of course I did not buy the Best Buy warranty so I am screwed. Anyone got an idea what this is?

elapsed
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
What model set do you own? When was it purchased?

It sounds like you have a bad optical block. For many discussions on this topic, Google "sony optical block", here's a good start: http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

Sony has extended the warranty on many sets due to this issue. Call an authorized Sony repair center soon or call Sony and see what they say

drseid
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I have a Sony Grand Vega 50" LCD and about 1 1/2 years old I am noticing a light Pinkish red splotches in about a 1 foot diameter area on the center. They are random I I also have a few green splotches. It is fained but noticeable when the screen is light or a bright background. This is such Bull that I didn't not even have it payed for. Of course I did not buy the Best Buy warranty so I am screwed. Anyone got an idea what this is?

I think this is the same problem I had with my 50 inch Grand Wega set about a year and a half ago (I have since given the set away and replaced it with another Sony... obviously I never learn). I did have the extended warranty and I am glad I did, because as I recall it was a *major* on-site repair. I for the life of me cannot remember the part that needed to be changed, but I think someone mentioned the optical drive/block unit earlier, and that has a familiar ring to it... I hope I am wrong and all is well.

Good luck,

---Dave