Component Cable--Scan Velocity [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component Cable--Scan Velocity

joel2762
03-08-2004, 11:35 AM
I finally got a component cable....I don't really notice a night & day difference between composite but oh well....My Sanyo 27" Flat Screen Tv has Scan Velocity. It has Low & High modes or just off. What should I have it on? I've heard different opinions but is there a way I can compare these modes and see a difference? Thanks.

woodman
03-08-2004, 05:46 PM
I finally got a component cable....I don't really notice a night & day difference between composite but oh well....My Sanyo 27" Flat Screen Tv has Scan Velocity. It has Low & High modes or just off. What should I have it on? I've heard different opinions but is there a way I can compare these modes and see a difference? Thanks.

There are two reasons why you didn't notice a "Night & Day difference" with your new component-video cable. They are:
a: a 27" screen is just too small to make the subtle differences between the three types of interconnect apparent, and

b: there are simply no such things as "night & day differences" in the entire worlds of audio and/or video in the first place! Having spent an entire lifetime in the biz, I can testify to the ytruth of that statement.

Now to your question about Scan Velocity Modulation ... the technique came about as a way to try and make video images appear "sharper" than they actually were. It works by varying the speed of the electron beam(s) as they sweep across the screen to make the image. Whether such trickery is successful or not is srtictly up to the individual ... some people think so, some do not. The effects of it can also vary by the program content, so there is no "best way" to use it. Clear?

mtrycraft
03-08-2004, 10:06 PM

Have you calibrated the Tv with test DVDs? You need to in each video input mode. Your set may not memorize more than one input, so just stick with one.

I would turn off the Scan Velocity. Joe Kane the Video guru does. When the beam slows down for certain signals to make it look brighter, sharper, it distorts from true studio recording, it shortens the phosphor life, etc.
Here is how he defined it in his 2000 special issue of Wide Screen Review:

" SVM adjusts the rate of horizontal movement of the beam as it 'draws' the scan lines on the screen. It distorts real picture detail in th eprocess, causing gark areas of the picture on light backgrounds to be reproduced much larger than normal and light areas on dark backgrounds to be reproduced much smaller than normal. SVM is one of the many tricks manufacturers use to get more light out of the picture tube, again at th ecost of the real picture detail."

Monstrous Mike
03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
I finally got a component cable....I don't really notice a night & day difference between composite but oh well....Thanks.
The difference between S-video and component video is subtle. But the difference between composite and component video should be pronounced when viewing a video source like HDTV or DVT.

Component video has better color saturation since all the colors and luminance signals are not combined like the composite video signal. This effect is most pronounced when viewing the best possible resolution picture like HDTV 1080i on a very good HDTV set with a big screen.

joel2762
03-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks i'm going to turn the SV off...