Pioneer speakers on Onkyo receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer speakers on Onkyo receiver?

EssamCW
05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey guys. So I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to audio, as are most people I know. Last month, I purchased a Pioneer 5.1 Home Theater which comes with an amplifier that doubles as a DVD player. This Pioneer in question doesn't have optical out nor does it have HDMI so I'm assuming it's pretty old; and pretty bad.

So I've decided to replace my hopelessly-limited Pioneer DVD player for a more fitting setup, such as the Onkyo TX-SR605 which suits my budget well.

The thing that's really bugging me right now is, behind each speaker on my 5.1 speaker setup is a label that reads "Do not connect to any amplifier other than the one supplied with this system. Connection to any other amplifier may result in a malfunction or a fire."

One of the speakers in question is a Pioneer S-DV262T with a max power of 60W and an impedance of 4 ohms.

What would happen if I plugged these into the Onkyo? My budget is really limited now and I'm really dying to get my setup ready for Metal Gear Solid 4 in two weeks. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.

basite
05-25-2008, 12:59 PM
a speaker is a speaker.

don't worry.

the onkyo will be better for future upgrades, getting a seperate receiver (not one that came with a crappy HTIB package) is a good step.

The warning on the back is wrong, IMO, an amp outputs power, and the speaker converts the power into sound. very basic, but it's the same everywhere. The only thing that can happen is that you overpower the speakers with a more powerful amp (of course, only if you turn up the volume so loud, that the amp puts out so much power that the speakers can't handle it anymore), but speakers are generally more prone to underpowering, because then the amp will clip, and instantly kill your speakers.

so, again, don't worry.

get the onkyo, and get better speakers later on, HTIB sets are generally crap.

keep them spinning,
Bert.

RoadRunner6
05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
What will happen is that you will hear sound coming out of the speakers instead of fire! It is likely that the Onkyo 605 will have too much power for your speakers if you turn the volume up very high. If you do get the Onkyo 605 or any other quality just above entry level (as the 605 is) or higher quality receiver be careful about overdriving those speakers. If you hear distortion coming from the speakers turn the volume down fast.

What you have now is what is called a HTIB (home theater in a box) system. It is OK as a set for a low price. I wouldn't worry too much about whether it has HDMI, opitcal outs (coax is just fine) or nitpick it on features compared to what you see on separate component receivers such as the Onkyo 605. Don't be misled by the specs on that Pioneer you now have. The 60 watts per channel it claims is actually rated at 10% distortion, at 1kHz and at 4 ohms. Quality amps are never rated or tested above 1% distortion max and usually between .03% to .1% distortion. Using a 10% distortion rate is deceitful to fool consumers. Rated the same way quality receivers are it would probably produce about 5-10 watts per channel if that. This is not to rank your equipment, It is to indicate that the Onkyo would be a huge mismatch with your current speakers although at low to medium volume it should not damege them in any way.

IMO, I would wait until you can sell it as a set and start over with quality individual components. Just replacing the receiver is going to make very little difference in the sound which is mostly dependent on the quality of the speakers. Or you could replace the receiver and then the speakers and then sell it as a set when you are finished up grading.

RR6

EssamCW
05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys. That's kind of reassuring. But could I ask for one last favor? Could you guys refer me to some good pair of speakers I could start with just for now? Anything under $85 would really help. If that's too low to start with, recommend me something else, and I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot.

RoadRunner6
05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
If you are going with the Onkyo 605, which is a nice receiver in its price range then you might want to just use the Pioneer speakers if you can be patient until you save some money. Here is a good price from an excellent online dealer with no tax or shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484690-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR605B_TX_SR605B_Home_Theater_Receiver.ht m

If you want to upgrade the speakers now then remember it is very important to have all 5 speakers from the same brand and series so they all have the same tweeter and the same or similar midrange, thus having the same "voicing." This means they sound exactly the same in the critical high frequencies and midrange and this will give you a very smooth sounding surround blend. The subwoofer can be from any brand.

If you can't wait, then here is a pretty decent sounding bookshelf speaker that has matching center and surround models that should be available for sometime I hope. In your price range forget floorstanding speakers which are not necessary anyway if you have the proper sub.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428970-REG/JBL_MONITOR_MONITOR_Venue_Series_2_Way_.html (left and right channel, $85/pr)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428981-REG/JBL_VOICE_VOICE_2_Way_Dual_5_.html (matching center channel, $90)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=428978&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo (matching surround speaker, bracket for hanging up fairly high on the side wall, $90/pr)

Later, let us know and we can recommend some good subs for about $300 from Outlaw Audio or HSU or an OK sub from JBL for $160-$200. The sub is essential. The left and right bookshelf speakers would sound the best on stands out several feet from the wall.

RR6