Disaster - Please Help!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Disaster - Please Help!!

audiobill
05-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi RR buddies,

My family and I have had a major disaster happen to our home. We arrived after our long weekend to find water pouring from the second storey, throught the hardwood floors, to the main floor, and down into our Hometheatre room and basement.

A large portion of the house is destroyed!

Unfortunately 100 Rock LPs are also destroyed. These were irreplaceable to us, but I'd like to try to replace them.

We are meeting with the insurance adjuster, at the house this evening to go over things.

Does anyone here know of a site on the internet where my wife and I will be able to go to to find the dollar value/ or replacements of the albums?

I figured you might be able to direct us and help us.

We are currently living out of our suitcases in a hotel room and, likely will be for about a month.

Thanks-a-ton for your help and any suggestions,

Bill

ForeverAutumn
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Holy crap Bill! I can't help you on the album replacement front, but if there is ANYTHING else that I can do to help you guys out, please let me know. Check your PM for my phone number.

Stone
05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
That really sucks, Bill.

On the value thing, if some or many of them were of some value, I know there are books out there on that sorta thing. I don't know of any sites, but I've never tried that either. I know this isn't much help, but if you're talking a good amount of money, it may be wise to invest in one of the LP collector books that have values in them.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi RR buddies,

My family and I have had a major disaster happen to our home. We arrived after our long weekend to find water pouring from the second storey, throught the hardwood floors, to the main floor, and down into our Hometheatre room and basement.

A large portion of the house is destroyed!

Unfortunately 100 Rock LPs are also destroyed. These were irreplaceable to us, but I'd like to try to replace them.

We are meeting with the insurance adjuster, at the house this evening to go over things.

Does anyone here know of a site on the internet where my wife and I will be able to go to to find the dollar value/ or replacements of the albums?

I figured you might be able to direct us and help us.

We are currently living out of our suitcases in a hotel room and, likely will be for about a month.

Thanks-a-ton for your help and any suggestions,

Bill

Here's a link to the Goldmine Record album Guide at Barnes & Noble (this is the gold standard of record price guides): http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9780873413756&z=y

And this is a link to an on-line guide that I found - the categories seem pretty punk/new wave/alternative specialized, but hopefully it helps:

http://www.record-price-guide.org/

Good luck to you Bill.

Davey
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
These days ebay is the only "guide" that matters for collectible vinyl, but not sure what you mean by irreplaceable. Very few rock lps are irreplaceable. You can even find a minty butcher cover "Yesterday and Today" if you got the jack :)

Hyfi
05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
My wife is very paranoid about that kind of situation so we turn off our water if we will be away for more than a day. Sorry it happened to you and I hope the best outcome for you.

J is one person who may be able to help if you can contact him or he sees this post.

If you need any evaluation copies of CDs or comps, I will gladly help out.

bobsticks
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
If you need any evaluation copies of CDs or comps, I will gladly help out.

Jah. I have exactly two LPs and no turntable so I am definitely not the guy to give vinyl recs or info. That said, if you got anything that you just have to listen to lemme know and we'll "figure something out". For that matter, there are several stores near me with huge vinyl sections, send me a list of what you've lost and I'll be more than glad to do some of the legwork.

Mr MidFi
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
This is just awful, Bill...so sorry to hear it.

While Davey is right about the "value" of vintage vinyl being determined these days by whatever you can get on ebay, I'm with ELT on getting a Goldmine Guide. A claims adjuster will probably value that type of reference source for his/her paperwork

Davey
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
This is just awful, Bill...so sorry to hear it.

While Davey is right about the "value" of vintage vinyl being determined these days by whatever you can get on ebay, I'm with ELT on getting a Goldmine Guide. A claims adjuster will probably value that type of reference source for his/her paperwork

Yea, I was really only talking about if he wanted to replace them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think insurance companies will give you a decent settlement on a music collection unless you have a special policy. At least that was the case when I checked into it.

Slosh
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I can probably help get you most of your albums back if a FLAC rip is good enough. PM me if you're interested.

NP:

Luvin Da Blues
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey audiobill, that really sucks.

I'm sitting on about 250 LP's (mostly Rock from the 80's) that I would love to get rid of. If you have a start of a list I'll have a looksee. Most of these have only been played once or twice since a machine cleaning.

LDB

Swish
05-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Sorry to hear of the mess. I don't know anywhere to check on that stuff, but I'm sure some of the vinyl geeks...I mean gurus...on RR can help.

If there's anything else we can do for you, give us a holler! Really.

Swish

GMichael
05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Sorry to read this. That really does suck donkey dust.:mad2:
Good luck with the insurance & rebuild. I hope you get back home soon. May it turn out better than your expectations.

audiobill
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks-a-ton folks for all of your well-wishes and advice. It's proving to be a very difficult time, but this too will pass.

Now, where in the world did I put my extra t-shirt?? Living out of a suitcase in a hotel really does suck. Looks like I'll have to get used to it, since it will be 4-6 weeks of this.

Cheers,

Bill

MindGoneHaywire
05-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, that's awful, Bill, sorry to hear this. My best wishes to hopefully help you muck through this as easily as could possibly be under these very difficult circumstances.

The best advice I can provide off the top of my head on eBay is that it most likely is the best guide to the true value of what an album is worth--what someone is willing to pay for it. Guide books aren't as accurate as they once were. But what many people overlook is that a simple search to see what something is selling for based on an asking price or a current bid in an auction that hasn't ended yet is only partially helpful. The most important search is one done on completed items, that show what people have actually been willing to pay for something based on actual sales transactions. It can be inconsistent, especially since what seems like a high price can show up if a buyer sees something they have to have & buy it on the spot if they're able...or a price can seem low if all of a sudden two or three or more copies of something in particular are listed in a particular, close time frame, which is something that happens, usually, coincidentally.

I helped a friend do some research a couple of weeks ago; he doesn't have an eBay account, so I spent some time looking at the numbers on some vinyl he wants to get rid of. A couple of things were unexpectedly going for over $100 apiece, while many things I would've thought were fetching decent money were actually quite common on vinyl & he wasn't going to get more than $5 for this or that.

It's not likely I can really help more than any other folks here, but I would certainly pitch in if there's a rec you just wanted to cop on CD just to replace the music...and if I can be of any help on the eBay side, send me an IM. But overall I think most of the bases were covered here & it's just a matter of time & work...unfortunately. Good luck with everything, & let me know if I can help.

bobsticks
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey a-bill,

Where would a character send a care package? I'm guessing the addy that I have ain't gonna cut it...

Hope life is looking up.

sticks

emesbee
06-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear about that, sounds like a real disaster. Are you sure the LPs are destroyed, though? I understand that the water would probably have ruined the covers, but I would have thought the vinyl might have survived the immersion. Maybe with some careful cleaning, something at least could be recovered.

bobsticks
06-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey kids,

Just some random thoughts but I don't know if'n y'all been paying attention but the midwest is takin' it kinda hard right now. Iowa has been getting the brunt of it but Naptown isn't any walk in the park either. Just a few miles away from my location there are thousands of people totally displaced. They have estimated that the state has lost 15-20% of it's crop for the year and now word is coming to me from friends in the insurance racket that a lot of Home Owners Policies aren't covering the damages---evidently some of these characters live in a flood plane and have to carry Flood insurance.

Point being, who knows how long this is going to drag out. My friend's wife received 1700 claims in under 6 hours. Clearly that kind of thing is going to cause a bureaucratic backlog. Let's make sure we all take care of a brother in need. Life without tunes ain't fun.

Peace

audiobill
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Rarec Buds,

Just an update

We are in our fifth week now in the hotel and are likely to out of our home until the middle of August. The timeline keeps getting pushed further into the future. Hotel living is not all it's cracked up to be. However, the whole family is taking things one step at a time.

As I am typing this on the Hotel's computer, I'd like to say that what I am missing most is listening to my music.

Bobsticks has so kindly offered to put together a care package for me.

I do have a CD player that I bought which is portable but the radio sounds good. What I don't have is any music. I am becoming well acquainted with southern Ontario's various radio stations, yet they are becoming very repetitive in what they play.

Living one day at a time,

Bill

With the Hotel PC being under full use by guests, I don't check in as much as I'd like, so I hope you all understand.

Hyfi
06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Rarec Buds,

Just an update

We are in our fifth week now in the hotel and are likely to out of our home until the middle of August. The timeline keeps getting pushed further into the future. Hotel living is not all it's cracked up to be. However, the whole family is taking things one step at a time.

As I am typing this on the Hotel's computer, I'd like to say that what I am missing most is listening to my music.

Bobsticks has so kindly offered to put together a care package for me.

I do have a CD player that I bought which is portable but the radio sounds good. What I don't have is any music. I am becoming well acquainted with southern Ontario's various radio stations, yet they are becoming very repetitive in what they play.

Living one day at a time,

Bill

With the Hotel PC being under full use by guests, I don't check in as much as I'd like, so I hope you all understand.

Put your addy or PO box or whatever in an IM and I will send a package also.

Swish
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM

When I was in traveling mode with my former employer, I would go nuts after just a few days in a hotel room. Restless and bored about summed it up.

I, like most of the others, had no idea you had no music, or didn't think of it. Like HyFi said, PM me with your temporary addy and I'll send you some tunes as well.

Swish - hang in there buddy!

ForeverAutumn
06-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Hey Bill,
If we send stuff to your old addy, will you still get it? I'm guessing that mail is still being delivered there, yes? That might be the easiest way to do this.

If there's particular stuff that you're missing, let us know. Is there something special that your lovely wife and children want? Post a list and we'll take care of you. I suspect that you're about to receive an avalanche of tunes.

audiobill
06-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Okay ForeverAutumn, here it goes,

Wolf Parade’s latest
Fleet Foxes s/t
Lil Wayne’s latest
Death Cab for Cutie’s latest
MIA’s latest
Panda Bear
The National’s latest
Jay-Z’s latest
Okkervil River’s latest
The Botticellis s/t
Bill Frisell’s latest
Old 97’s latest
Kid Rock’s latest (guilty pleasure)
Coldplay’s latest (guilty pleasure)
The Notwist

Neil Young anything by him
The Who Who’s Next
Bob Dylan anything by him
Janis Joplin anything
Tom Petty anything
Eagles anthing (sorry Swish)
Traffic anything
ACDC anything
Sex Pistols anything
Black Sabbath anything
Jethro Tull anything

Classic Rock Comps

Indie Rock Comps

Please feel free to IGNORE all of the above and leave it to your RR discretion.
Please don't feel compelled to send anything, either. I realize how busy you all are with your own lives.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

Hey Bill,
If we send stuff to your old addy, will you still get it? I'm guessing that mail is still being delivered there, yes? That might be the easiest way to do this.

If there's particular stuff that you're missing, let us know. Is there something special that your lovely wife and children want? Post a list and we'll take care of you. I suspect that you're about to receive an avalanche of tunes.

Swish
06-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Okay ForeverAutumn, here it goes,

Wolf Parade’s latest
Fleet Foxes s/t
Lil Wayne’s latest
Death Cab for Cutie’s latest
MIA’s latest
Panda Bear
The National’s latest
Jay-Z’s latest
Okkervil River’s latest
The Botticellis s/t
Bill Frisell’s latest
Old 97’s latest
Kid Rock’s latest (guilty pleasure)
Coldplay’s latest (guilty pleasure)
The Notwist

Neil Young anything by him
The Who Who’s Next
Bob Dylan anything by him
Janis Joplin anything
Tom Petty anything
Eagles anthing (sorry Swish)
Traffic anything
ACDC anything
Sex Pistols anything
Black Sabbath anything
Jethro Tull anything

Classic Rock Comps

Indie Rock Comps

Bill

I think, however, that I can come up with quite a few that you'll like. I'm going to poke through my collection and get something out ASAP.

Hang in there buddy!

Swish

P.S. I would recommend everyone mention what they're sending so we don't duplicate the effort! I can start a new thread, or you can if you're ready to go before I am.

Bernd
06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Oh man that's tough. Really sorry to hear about that Bill. I have only just caught up with this news as my dear friend 'sticks provided the pointer. I am glad to chip in and provide what I can. Will just take a bit longer from my end. Hang in there and good luck.