Video quality from Sony PS3 Blu-ray to 720p/1080i Plasma HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video quality from Sony PS3 Blu-ray to 720p/1080i Plasma HDTV

JK_Livin22
05-22-2008, 05:36 AM
When connecting a television that accepts video inputs of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, is fed a signal from a Sony PS3 playing a Blu-ray DVD, it is my understanding that the best option is to set the PS3 to 720p output because this would mitigate the number of conversions (interlacing/deinterlacing/scaling/etc.) taking place before the video signal actually appears on the television screen for viewing (or would it be better to set the PS3 so that it automatically determines the appropriate signal?).

Given that the PS3, as well as the more capable upconverting DVD players (such as the Oppos and Denons with Faroudja chipsets) are capable of upconverting standard (480p/i?) DVDs to 1080i/720p, which will then be played on the plasma screen in 720p, is there any advantage to using a Blu-ray DVD with TVs that only display 720p? Would the quality not essentially be the same if both are being played in 720p? Perhaps the Blu-ray will deliver superior audio through the AV receiver (which could be reason enough to go with the Blu-ray DVD) but as far as the video, would there be any difference?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
When connecting a television that accepts video inputs of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, is fed a signal from a Sony PS3 playing a Blu-ray DVD, it is my understanding that the best option is to set the PS3 to 720p output because this would mitigate the number of conversions (interlacing/deinterlacing/scaling/etc.) taking place before the video signal actually appears on the television screen for viewing (or would it be better to set the PS3 so that it automatically determines the appropriate signal?).

The PS3 auto detects the resolution of your display device, and sets the resolution accordingly. You do not have to do anything in that regard.

Given that the PS3, as well as the more capable upconverting DVD players (such as the Oppos and Denons with Faroudja chipsets) are capable of upconverting standard (480p/i?) DVDs to 1080i/720p, which will then be played on the plasma screen in 720p, is there any advantage to using a Blu-ray DVD with TVs that only display 720p? Would the quality not essentially be the same if both are being played in 720p? Perhaps the Blu-ray will deliver superior audio through the AV receiver (which could be reason enough to go with the Blu-ray DVD) but as far as the video, would there be any difference?

The PS3 will automatically set the resolution to your display devices native video resolution, whether it is 720p or 1080i/p

pixelthis
05-23-2008, 12:35 AM

A big difference.
One is an actual 720p signal, the other is a 480i signal that has been resized to 720p.
You dont get any res outta an "upconverted" pic, you can't.
Its a marketing gimmick. On certain material the pic from a "upconversion" can look quite good, but not from increased res.
A "frame" from the interlaced 480 of a DVD player is made from two fields that are "interlaced" to make one frame, this causes artifacts.
When "deinterlaced" the fields are put together , making one frame of 480p,
which gives a big improvement.
but extrapolating that out to 720p, while smoothing a pic out, will not increase res.
YOU NEED A 2500$ scaler for that , and hate to tell ya but there isnt one in a 50 dollar
DVD player.
THE MAIN ADVANTAGE FOR "UPSCALERS" is that they can utilize HDMI, and they are worth that for that alone.
BUT they are nowhere NEAR a true 720p picture with the actual information of a 720p picture:1: