Old Big Screen is dying, upgrade recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old Big Screen is dying, upgrade recommendations

Worf101
05-22-2008, 04:57 AM
After 25 years of loyal service to two families, my 35-Inch, oak cabineted mankiller of a CRT is begining to show it's age. The screen is deforming and jumping all over the place. I'm sure I'll come home and fire her up one day she'll just be the white line of death. My current system is as follows:

Onky 898 Receiver
Denon DVD Player 1st Generation
Analog Cable DVR Box
Dying Analog 35-incher

Now I'm already thinking of getting the following LCD

Samsung's LN52A750 52" LCD TV

What I need to know is if it's time to go HDMI, what are the good mid level HDMI compliant receivers, what's a good 5 disk DVD player that doesn't HAVE to be Blu-Ray, but is now the time to do that as well.

I spend most of my time in Fave Films so don't think I'm a total noob.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
05-22-2008, 05:10 AM
What I need to know is if it's time to go HDMI, what are the good mid level HDMI compliant receivers, what's a good 5 disk DVD player that doesn't HAVE to be Blu-Ray, but is now the time to do that as well.

Sorry to hear your loyal companion is starting to fade away.

I think you would be kicking yourself in the arse for years if you didn't incorporate HDMI throughout whatever you decided to do. Lucky for you it shouldn't be hard, I think it's pretty much standard on almost everything now. If you're like me and hate fighting 400 cable connections in your a/v rack, HDMI is a godsend, replacing 4-10 cables per device. That should be enough to convince you alone.

For good mid-level HDMI receivers you know the usual brands...Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon etc...Depending what your budget is for receviers there's plenty of model numbers we could throw at you. I wouldn't go lower than a Yamaha RX-V663/Onkyo TX-SR605 for your purposes. Think you've had decent experience with both in your day so you'll know what to expect. LJ might be good to chime in here, he did a pretty extensive comparison of these 2 brands with units "2 steps up" and I believe found the Onkyo to be a bit buggier, but slightly better for stereo music, and slightly worse for home theater sound quality. All things said, they're probably pretty darn close.

As for BluRay...if you don't need a 5 disc changer unit, you might as well grab yourself a PS3 like everyone else and blow the snot out of aliens and monsters on your new TV....mwa ha ha ha hah....
Sorry, can't help you much more there - I'm not up to snuff on my DVD players and I'm pretty much surrendered to buying a PS3 to go with my projector when my house is ready this fall. According to Sir T and folks, the PS3 is the best solution for BluRay players still.

Hope I helped some...

GMichael
05-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Hey big guy. How's it going?

Nice display you've picked out there. 1080p, 4 HDMI inputs, good name brand. Can't see where you'd be going wrong with that choice. Looks like they are going in the $2800 to $4k range. Did you manage to dig up any kind of deal?
What kind of budget do you have for the receiver? Onkyo has had some nice deals lately. Don't think you need to go all the way to 1.3 HDMI to get the new lossless audios. LJ can fill you in more on that when he stops in. I would go HDMI if it was in my budget. If you have the cash, I say h.ll yes!
Not sure of the best DVD changers. Seems like you can't really go wrong if you pick a good name these days. Look for the features you like and don't spend too much. You'll want to go Blu someday. Not sure you'll even need an HDMI DVD player at all. It will still only be 480. Component cables will do that with ease. Let your new display upscale for you.

Worf101
05-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks Kex and G-Man. I just knew "The Old Guard" would help a fellah out quick around here. Well it's been almost 7 years without any MAJOR system upgrades, so I guess the time is right. I'll have to do it bit by bit. Get the LCD first, then HD DVR Box, then HDMI receiver followed by DVD player. Urrrrrgh that sounds like a LOT of money, but I guess there's nothing for it. Any other nuggets o' wisdom, just keep em coming.

D Worfster

bobsticks
05-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey Worfster,

I'll play too but I gotta couple of questions. Are you wanting to run a 5.1, 7.1 or simple stereo system? And, is this the system you're using them Walsh Ohms in? Probably seems like minor considerations but if yer gonna do it, might as well do it right, y'know.

Peace

Rich-n-Texas
05-22-2008, 07:15 AM
I spend most of my time in Fave Films so don't think I'm a total noob.

Da Worfster

Who's this guy??? Looks like Samuel L. Jackson. :rolleyes:
N00bs... they all sound alike. :rolleyes:

:biggrin5:

bobsticks
05-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Looks like da Worfster is busy at the moment. Here's a couple linkys worth investigatin'...in my humble opinion.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23134 It's probably worth noting that the Ohms use some juice and the amp stages in Onkyo are pretty solid...can't really speak on some of the issues that LJ uncovered but they don't exist with the next model up, the 875.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34674
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT585
http://nadelectronics.com/products/d...sal-DVD-Player

This is a good time to buy a universal as the market is bottoming out as Blu-Ray is taking a larger chunk of the pie. I've never been a huge NAD fan but the NAT585 has gotten some great reviews and ya can't beat that price with a Romulan War Cudgel.

L.J.
05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
You may find some useful info or links in this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26425).

Kex pretty much nailed my thoughts already. Onkyo 605 does have a few limitation...no preouts & it can't apply surround processing to MCPCM via HDMI. Stepping up to the 705 will give you that greater flexibility. Yammie 661 & up should be OK, as well as most current Denons & Pioneer Elite.

I highly recommend the PS3 as a BR player. I've had mine over a year now with no problems playing back disc or any other issues. Strong support from Sony and all kinds of flexibility. One thing to note is that although the PS3 is HDMI 1.3, it cannot bitstream HD audio for decoding. It can only decode the HD audio internally and output the decoded signal via HDMI. Not really a problem for most current HDMI AVR's but you may run into limitation issues(no surround processing & stuff like that) with some older stuff. Just something to consider if you decide to go used or pickup some older gear.

Panasonic BD-50 may be another BR player option to consider.

bobsticks
05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Panasonic BD-50 may be another BR player option to consider.

IMHO, there's not really another Blu-Ray player to consider and props for the impartiality, but I think this is one case in which it's OK to be a fanboy.

L.J.
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
IMHO, there's not really another Blu-Ray player to consider and props for the impartiality, but I think this is one case in which it's OK to be a fanboy.

What's up Sticks? Just throwing something else out there since some people perfer a stand alone. And who you calling a fanboy? :rolleyes:

kexodusc
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Is you talkin' bout da Worfster? :shocked:

Oh dear, this isn't going to end well....:nonod:

GMichael
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd like to go on record as saying that I'm going to miss that Rich Tex guy.

Duds
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Are you dead set on an LCD? I recommend taking a look at the Pioneer plasmas

f0rge
05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
seconding the plasma motion, my panny is sweet, in demo'ing sets LCDs didnt even come close, and i was looking at sony XBRs

RoadRunner6
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Ditto on Panasonic or Pioneer plasmas. Panny has several 50" and 58" models that are great bangs for the buck. Users have been finding lots of molding Kim Chee in the Samsung units lately.

RR6

pixelthis
05-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Plasma is dead.
As for DVD, I STRONGLY RECCOMEND blu, but a lot on this board swear by OPPO's
400$ universal DVD player.
But its not a changer, and like you I appreciate a good DVD changer, having had one.
Yamaha has the 961, a five disc with dvda, sacd, faroudjia, and a whole lotta other stuff.
If you dont care about the audio tech they have several dvd changers without it
The 961 is 459 bucks, a bargain really:1:

Worf101
05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey Worfster,

I'll play too but I gotta couple of questions. Are you wanting to run a 5.1, 7.1 or simple stereo system? And, is this the system you're using them Walsh Ohms in? Probably seems like minor considerations but if yer gonna do it, might as well do it right, y'know.

Peace
Everyone's trying to "duck out" for a long weekend so I got stuck trying to cover a bunch of stuff. I'm not using the Walsh4's as mains anymore. I'm using a pair of Platinum Audio Studio 3's bought used on the Bay for about $300.00. Best bargain I ever got. I don't have the room or accoustics to run 7.1 I'll just be running 5.1. I assume most modern receiver's can handle two fewer channels.

Thanks for the love.

Da Worfster

Worf101
05-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Looks like da Worfster is busy at the moment. Here's a couple linkys worth investigatin'...in my humble opinion.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23134 It's probably worth noting that the Ohms use some juice and the amp stages in Onkyo are pretty solid...can't really speak on some of the issues that LJ uncovered but they don't exist with the next model up, the 875.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34674
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT585
http://nadelectronics.com/products/d...sal-DVD-Player

This is a good time to buy a universal as the market is bottoming out as Blu-Ray is taking a larger chunk of the pie. I've never been a huge NAD fan but the NAT585 has gotten some great reviews and ya can't beat that price with a Romulan War Cudgel.

Been looking at the 805 and the 875. I think I might save my sheckels and go with the 875. Onkyo's been good to me. Yammie's right behind though. Both good gear.

Da Worfster

Worf101
05-23-2008, 04:05 AM

Like foot fungus, they burn and itch for a while but if you ignore em long enough they just dry up and fade away:dita: LOL

Nah, I like RnT, he livens up the place greatly. Besides, every village needs an idiot.

Da Worfster

Worf101
05-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Are you dead set on an LCD? I recommend taking a look at the Pioneer plasmas
The ONE good thing you can about BB and CC is that they allow you look at all the competing formats side by side. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Samsung 62-inch DLP. I loved the picture and the lightweight of the T.V. but its so big I'd have to get rid of my current rack and get something big enough to hold all my component AND the DLP itself. Decent HT furniture solutions cost more than the price of some DLPs, so I decided that 52 inchers would be just the right size. I'm still open for some suggestions though.

Da Worfster

GMichael
05-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Have you looked at the plasmas at all? As others have said, they do have advantages over LCD. They also have some drawbacks as well. You'd have to decide what means more to you.

Plasma pros:
Better colors
Better black level
Better viewing angle
Better contrast

Cons:
Some lower end models do still have burn in issues
Weigh more (about 2x)
Use more energy to operate (99.9% of the time)
Most lower end models do still have a glare issue (even some higher end models do too. You'd have to check model by model)
Not as bright. (not an issue unless you are watching it outside or in a greenhouse.

It the 52" size, most plasmas cost less than LCD's. But not all. (my research was in the 720p range, not 1080p)

JSE
05-23-2008, 07:05 AM
FWIW, I've had my Samsung 52" LCD since about Oct/Nov last year and I have been completely satisfied so far. Great picture, great color and the viewing angles are just fine. I will frequently sit about 8 feet back and about 8 feet to the side when the wifey is crashed out on the couch and the picture looks amazing. Can't remember the model number but it was in the $2500 to $3k range back in Oct/Nov. It's a 1080p with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs.

Rich-n-Texas
05-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Like foot fungus, they burn and itch for a while but if you ignore em long enough they just dry up and fade away:dita: LOL

Nah, I like RnT, he livens up the place greatly. Besides, every village needs an idiot.

Da Worfster
Ummm... I'm sorry but I think you've got me confused with GMichael. I forgive you though because I'm well aware that in general, Romulians are... shall we say... a bit *challenged* in that regard. :yesnod:

As for DVD, I STRONGLY RECCOMEND blu, but a lot on this board swear by OPPO's
400$ universal DVD player.
This statement might be a bit mis-leading. No one here is suggesting that the Oppo player is a better choice than a Blu-ray player; they're two different animals, but since you don't HAVE to own a Blu-ray disk player (BDP) an Oppo universal player might be a better chioce. A few things to consider though, they don't make a changer, the SACD software market is very limited from a music genre POV, and the DVD-A standard is a disaster from where I stand. Not to worry though, the Oppo 9XX series wil play anything you throw at it. Frankly Worf, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the market for changers is likely to fade into the sunset as these new technologies become prevalent.

All this... IMHO.

GMichael
05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Ummm... I'm sorry but I think you've got me confused with GMichael.

Bite me.:mad5:

I forgive you though because I'm well aware that in general, Romulians are... shall we say... a bit *challenged* in that regard. :yesnod:

Why do you keep calling him a Romulian? Don't you know that the Romulians killed his parrents.:mad2:

Rich-n-Texas
05-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Romulians, Vulcans... same difference. :rolleyes:

GMichael
05-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Can I have your toys when you're gone?

Woochifer
05-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Heya Worf -

Good to see you stepping back into the Home Theater maelstrom. :cool: Oh my, you're actually threatening to ... GULP ... go contemporary on us!? :eek: Say it ain't so!!!!

As far as HDMI goes, you definitely want to plan around it, since everything is moving in that direction. But, there are other options aside from buying a new receiver that you can implement in the interim.

As a short-term option, you could simply connect all of your video sources directly to the TV. Or if you don't want to buy multiple long cables, you could use a HDMI switch box to connect all of your HDMI components via one cable to the TV. Oppo Digital sells their HDMI switch for $99. Either option is cheaper than a new receiver. But, as Kex points out, one advantage of HDMI is that you eliminate the need for separate sets of audio and video cables. Of course, if you already have Toslink and/or coaxial cables in place, at least you have the option of reusing audio cables you already have.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Of course, in order to fully benefit from the new audio formats used with Blu-ray, you'll need either an HDMI-enabled receiver OR a Blu-ray player with a built-in audio decoder and 6-channel analog audio output. Your current Onkyo already includes a multichannel analog input that you can use with a Blu-ray player. The drawback to using the analog inputs is that older receivers (like your Onkyo) typically bypass the bass management and time alignment functions with those analog inputs. And video players typically do not perform those functions as well as receivers do. In addition, the PS3 does not have any option for analog audio aside from two-channel.

Another option is to just stick with the standard DD and DTS output. All of the DTS tracks used on Blu-ray will downconvert to the full 1.5k bitrate DTS version that DVDs only sporadically use (most DVDs use a half-bitrate DTS track that cuts out half of the audio data). In addition, many Blu-ray discs use the 640k maximum bitrate with their Dolby Digital tracks, which delivers audio improvements over the 448k and 384k resolutions used with DVDs.

On the choice of TVs, the Panny and Pio plasmas are good options you should consider. Even though I remember that you and Pio have an illustriously documented history, their 1080p plasmas have the best color accuracy and contrast currently available. And their Elite lineup includes an ISF-calibration mode that allows you to fine tune a variety of video settings that require going into the service menus (and invalidate the warranty in the process) on other sets. The Pios though are expensive, and the newer Pannys offer up comparable video quality at a much lower price.

Worf101
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM
"Stimpy, you fool, I'm going to hurt you so badly!!!!!"

"Of course you know this means WAR!!!!"

"It's on now B**ch!!!"

I figure with those three quotes you should be able to figure out your future plans plowboy.

Da "Damn it Jim I"m a Klingon not a Doctor" Worfster

pixelthis
05-25-2008, 11:28 PM
oh COME ON NOW.
Romulans are the Spanish Vulcans, the vulcans are the Mexican vulcans.
Dont you know ANYTHING? :1:

Worf101
05-27-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the love man. All you guys and your discussion of Plasma's have sent me back to looking at monitor's AGAIN!!!! LOL well at least it'll be an "informed" decision when I finally make one. Hope the Spring and early summer are treating you well.

Much love...

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, it's already in the upper 90's down here Worf, but I'm managing.

Of all the technologies I've looked at my personal choice would be a Pioneer plasma over all others. I have a 57" DLP though and I'm very happy with it. The cost of it was well within my means and since it was my first HDTV, I was just blown away by the picture quality.

Duds
05-27-2008, 07:08 AM
BB and CC are not the greatest places to base your decision on.

I would go plasma before LCD, and definitely before DLP

The ONE good thing you can about BB and CC is that they allow you look at all the competing formats side by side. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Samsung 62-inch DLP. I loved the picture and the lightweight of the T.V. but its so big I'd have to get rid of my current rack and get something big enough to hold all my component AND the DLP itself. Decent HT furniture solutions cost more than the price of some DLPs, so I decided that 52 inchers would be just the right size. I'm still open for some suggestions though.

Da Worfster

Duds
05-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Even the Pioneer 768 tvs are freakin awesome. The 5080 has a sick picture. Might be tough to find these days though.

I would look at the Pioneer 5010 or the 1150.

Dont listen to that moron Pix either, plasma is far from dead. He owns a hunk of crap Vizio, so obviously he has no clue about tvs.

Heya Worf -

Good to see you stepping back into the Home Theater maelstrom. :cool: Oh my, you're actually threatening to ... GULP ... go contemporary on us!? :eek: Say it ain't so!!!!

As far as HDMI goes, you definitely want to plan around it, since everything is moving in that direction. But, there are other options aside from buying a new receiver that you can implement in the interim.

As a short-term option, you could simply connect all of your video sources directly to the TV. Or if you don't want to buy multiple long cables, you could use a HDMI switch box to connect all of your HDMI components via one cable to the TV. Oppo Digital sells their HDMI switch for $99. Either option is cheaper than a new receiver. But, as Kex points out, one advantage of HDMI is that you eliminate the need for separate sets of audio and video cables. Of course, if you already have Toslink and/or coaxial cables in place, at least you have the option of reusing audio cables you already have.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Of course, in order to fully benefit from the new audio formats used with Blu-ray, you'll need either an HDMI-enabled receiver OR a Blu-ray player with a built-in audio decoder and 6-channel analog audio output. Your current Onkyo already includes a multichannel analog input that you can use with a Blu-ray player. The drawback to using the analog inputs is that older receivers (like your Onkyo) typically bypass the bass management and time alignment functions with those analog inputs. And video players typically do not perform those functions as well as receivers do. In addition, the PS3 does not have any option for analog audio aside from two-channel.

Another option is to just stick with the standard DD and DTS output. All of the DTS tracks used on Blu-ray will downconvert to the full 1.5k bitrate DTS version that DVDs only sporadically use (most DVDs use a half-bitrate DTS track that cuts out half of the audio data). In addition, many Blu-ray discs use the 640k maximum bitrate with their Dolby Digital tracks, which delivers audio improvements over the 448k and 384k resolutions used with DVDs.

On the choice of TVs, the Panny and Pio plasmas are good options you should consider. Even though I remember that you and Pio have an illustriously documented history, their 1080p plasmas have the best color accuracy and contrast currently available. And their Elite lineup includes an ISF-calibration mode that allows you to fine tune a variety of video settings that require going into the service menus (and invalidate the warranty in the process) on other sets. The Pios though are expensive, and the newer Pannys offer up comparable video quality at a much lower price.

pixelthis
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Even the Pioneer 768 tvs are freakin awesome. The 5080 has a sick picture. Might be tough to find these days though.

I would look at the Pioneer 5010 or the 1150.

Dont listen to that moron Pix either, plasma is far from dead. He owns a hunk of crap Vizio, so obviously he has no clue about tvs.

Plasma is dead.
As is DLP.
But if you have big screen taste on a ipod budget, SAMSUNG has their LED dlp
out, and while too little too late, it does solve two major DLP problems.
First, NO COLOR WHEEL. (yayyy)
And second, NO EXPENSIVE BULB TO REPLACE.
Doesnt solve the third problem, tho, mainly that everybody wants a flat screen.
People have even come to equate HD with FLAT.
But for someone in the know, who prizes picture size and (relative) quality ,
an DLP cant be beat.
But better hurry, they will be extinct soon:1:

hermanv
05-28-2008, 04:37 AM
I guess I'm the last living DLP fan. I bought the Samsung HL-T5687S RPTV. It's the 56 inch LED version. Reviews said it had a few problems, yep just like they said. The hot spot is not a problem if you're watching TV in an ordinary way.

I paid $1,200 for a refurbished model (IMHO this is a good way to buy any brand new technology, gives the manufacturer a chance to fix that last minute oops) Or pay $1,400 (discounted). I see it today at $999 with free shipping at Outlet electronics.

The set has a bright clear picture with no microdisplay segmentation, REDs any plasma would die for, predicted 60,000 hour life (try that with plasma) and far better GREENs than LCD I'm happy as a clam at high tide.

Viewing distance is a non issue, because there are no picture structure elements.

Mitsubishi will introduce a laser DLP this fall. I don't know if they really mean laser or if this is marketing speak for a LED set.

Worf101
05-28-2008, 04:48 AM
Plasma is dead.
As is DLP.
an DLP cant be beat.
Believe me I'll be making up my own mind on this. I was drawn to DLP for three reasons,

Price...

Size

Fits my room layout.

If Samsung made the new tech DLP's in a 54 or 52 inch model, I'd a bought one already but a 61 inch screen is just too friggen large for my living room. And the cost of furniture for a 60 inch DLP is prohibitive. While I understand what you're saying about old tech or semi-old tech, my current TV is 25 years old and I got it used, I'm a firm believer in "the lagging" edge.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 05:18 AM
I guess I'm the last living DLP fan. I bought the Samsung HL-T5687S RPTV. It's the 56 inch LED version. Reviews said it had a few problems, yep just like they said. The hot spot is not a problem if you're watching TV in an ordinary way.
:nono: I own a 57" Mitsubishi DLP and like I said I'm very happy with it. It's coming up on 15 months old now and is still as bright (in Natural mode) as day 1.

The set has a bright clear picture with no microdisplay segmentation, REDs any plasma would die for, predicted 60,000 hour life (try that with plasma) and far better GREENs than LCD I'm happy as a clam at high tide.
My set is lamp & wheel, but two co-workers have LED DLP's and I'd say they're right there with you during high tide hermanv. :thumbsup:

Mitsubishi will introduce a laser DLP this fall. I don't know if they really mean laser or if this is marketing speak for a LED set.
I don't know all the details yet, but I'll report back if no one else has this answered. The VP of the DLP group has/had a presentation about the DLP's future and there will be movement in the medical industry for it going forward, that much I know.

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Worf, my boss owns a 51" Samsung LED DLP and he's very happy with it.

As far as furniture, I bought that U-build-it stuff from O'Sullivan, it's not REAL furniture in my mind but it's not expensive either. Unfortunately as I just found out, O'Sullivan no longer exists but Sauder and Busch also manufacture this type of furniture, so you can always go that route. I have some pictures up in other threads...
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26784

f0rge
05-28-2008, 06:33 AM
i got my "tv stand" from ikea. it's actually 2 pieces but you cant tell when they're pushed together. i think they're supposed to be bookshelves but it was the only thing i could find that would fit my center in the middle. i think i paid like $170 taxes in.

i wish i had a better pick with it pushed together and the TV pointing straight, but you get the idea

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon009.jpg

Duds
05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
A Pioneer or Panny plasma will smoke any DLP out there.

Plasma is dead.
As is DLP.
an DLP cant be beat.

f0rge
05-28-2008, 06:56 AM

and most LCDs

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Let's not start this argument again, okay Duds? Try not to inject your emotions into the equation like some before you have done. Very unconstructive.

hermanv
05-28-2008, 08:05 AM

Gee, on price? No!
Color accuracy? No!
Life? No!
Contrast ratio? Maybe a tie, edge to DLP.
Resolution? A draw.
Thinness? Plasma easily.
Hot spot? Plasma, although the better older DLP sets didn't have this problem.

Unless of course you literally meant smoke, as in what will happen if you try and use any plasma above about 6,000 feet in altitude.

Duds
05-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Ok Dad

Let's not start this argument again, okay Duds? Try not to inject your emotions into the equation like some before you have done. Very unconstructive.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Gee, on price? No!
Color accuracy? No!
Life? No!
Resolution? A draw.
Thinness? Plasma easily.

Unless of course you literally meant smoke, as in what will happen if you try and use any plasma above about 6,000 feet in altitude.

6000 feet?
Note to self: Don't move to Denver.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Ok Dad
He's more of a mom around here. Now be nice and go give your mom a kiss.:20:

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll smack the first male who tries to kiss me! :mad5:

(Well, maybe not JM, but ANYBODY ELSE!!!) :incazzato:

audio amateur
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll smack the first male who tries to kiss me! :mad5:

(Well, maybe not JM, but ANYBODY ELSE!!!) :incazzato:
Not even your favourite 'youngin''?:sad:

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
No exceptions!!!

audio amateur
05-28-2008, 10:39 AM
ok ok..

pixelthis
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Gee, on price? No!
Color accuracy? No!
Life? No!
Resolution? A draw.
Thinness? Plasma easily.

Not to mention high energy use, burn-in, and the small problem of the gas leaking out
and the set dying.
Of course the set not working might be better than working, they emit ultraviolet radiation,
and isnt anybody else concerned about a high energy plasma in a thin glass envelope?:1:

Duds
05-29-2008, 05:16 AM
lol, where do you come up with this stuff??

Not to mention high energy use, burn-in, and the small problem of the gas leaking out
and the set dying.
Of course the set not working might be better than working, they emit ultraviolet radiation,
and isnt anybody else concerned about a high energy plasma in a thin glass envelope?:1:

GMichael
05-29-2008, 05:23 AM
From his deep dark scary past.

Worf101
05-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Worf, my boss owns a 51" Samsung LED DLP and he's very happy with it.

As far as furniture, I bought that U-build-it stuff from O'Sullivan, it's not REAL furniture in my mind but it's not expensive either. Unfortunately as I just found out, O'Sullivan no longer exists but Sauder and Busch also manufacture this type of furniture, so you can always go that route. I have some pictures up in other threads...
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26784
I take back all the nasty things I said about ya. Thanks for all the information on the furniture. I'll have to check that out.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
05-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Good. That means I get the Romulians AND the Vulcans offa my back. :thumbsup:

Wait a minute, is he a Klingon? That's a whole other can-o-worms ain't it?

Naaa... An alien is an alien is an alien...

pixelthis
05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
From his deep dark scary past.

You keep your own drama to yourself.
ALL of the info I mentioned above is true, they hide it in books.
When PLASMA CAME OUT researchers were desperate to come up with something
to resemble the beautifull wall hanging flat screens they had been promising us for decades.
And what they came up with is a highly charged gas, requiring thousands of volts,
using one of these things is like flying a space shuttle to the corner store for a pack of smokes.
The whole format is dead btw:1:

Duds
06-02-2008, 04:55 AM
BWAHAHAHHAHAH!!! They hide it in books.......LOL!!!!!

you're a total clown man

to resemble the beautifull wall hanging flat screens they had been promising us for decades.
And what they came up with is a highly charged gas, requiring thousands of volts,
using one of these things is like flying a space shuttle to the corner store for a pack of smokes.

pixelthis
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
BWAHAHAHHAHAH!!! They hide it in books.......LOL!!!!!

you're a total clown man

GET SOMEONE IN YOURE short yellow schoolbus class to explain what a "book" is:1:

Duds
06-03-2008, 04:14 AM
ooooooooooooo that was such a good one.....

GET SOMEONE IN YOURE short yellow schoolbus class to explain what a "book" is:1:

f0rge
06-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Pix i think you need to go back to the books and read up on CURRENT plasma technology.

what you're saying hasn't been true for almost 10 years.

BURN-IN IS NOT A PROBLEM! my GF left my TV on all day and left the house for ~6-7hours, on an SD channel with black bars and there's no burn-in.

not to mention the hundreds of hours i've put in playing video games, GTA4 is a great example with it's static map and money display. i played that game for 52 hours, there are no ghost images of that circular map.

anyway whatever, we don't need to have this argument again.

GMichael
06-03-2008, 05:13 AM

Right. I'm the drama king around these parts. Guess that makes you the queen.
You must have been smoking some of those highly charged gasses during your shuttle flight to the corner 711. How was your re-entry?

Rich-n-Texas
06-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Right. I'm the drama king around these parts. Guess that makes you the queen.
You must have been smoking some of those highly charged gasses during your shuttle flight to the corner 711. How was your re-entry?
How come I don't read many posts from you like this these days GM? One of us is going to die of old age before you reach 10K. :idea:

GMichael
06-03-2008, 05:40 AM
How come I don't read many posts from you like this these days GM? One of us is going to die of old age before you reach 10K. :idea:
I've been trying to be a good boy lately. But I think Pix will see the humor in my post and respond in kind.:ciappa:
Mostly, I'm just very distracted.

Rich-n-Texas
06-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Well, I don't want to rub salt on your wounds, but I close on my re-fi on Friday afternoon. Tell ya what, with the money I save month-to-month, after about 3 mos. I'll spot ya enough cash to by an amp. Sound good lemme know. :thumbsup:

GMichael
06-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Sounds great. But I don't know if I'd ever be able to pay off an additional loan. I'll PM you the letter we are sending to the local DA.

Edit: FYI - The letter was too long to go in one PM.

Rich-n-Texas
06-03-2008, 07:55 AM
PM'ed you back GM. It's a scam and I hope the DA isn't in bed with these artists...

GMichael
06-03-2008, 08:10 AM
PM'ed you back GM. It's a scam and I hope the DA isn't in bed with these artists...

Thanks, and me2.

By the way, I've read that Emotiva is going to be having a 40% off on their new line coming out. It might be worth looking into if you aren't past your return date yet. If our issue were to be resolved in time (fat chance) then I'd consider going with their pre-pro/amp combo at -40%.

Rich-n-Texas
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
By the way, I've read that Emotiva is going to be having a 40% off on their new line coming out. It might be worth looking into if you aren't past your return date yet. If our issue were to be resolved in time (fat chance) then I'd consider going with their pre-pro/amp combo at -40%.

Next up is a PS3. After all I went through with my receiver, it's just impossible now for me to part with it. Even though I won't be using the 3800's amp, I still have two zones I can set up (brings that question about zone 2 & 3 amplification back to the forefront doesn't it?), I've got a network connection for it and I'm determined to one day figure out how the heck to get my music files to it from my PC.

I'm very happy with my LPA-1. It's the first time I've ever used a separate amp; it does a VERY good job, and besides, it took all the strength I had to get the dam thing into the cabinet... I'm in no rush to deal with that task again. :nonod:

Wait a minute, did you post that or was it L.J? :sosp:

GMichael
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
A PS3 will make a fine addition to your system. Looks like Wally world is giving out $100 coupons with them these days.
Don't forget to get that BFD next.

pixelthis
06-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Pix i think you need to go back to the books and read up on CURRENT plasma technology.

what you're saying hasn't been true for almost 10 years.

BURN-IN IS NOT A PROBLEM! my GF left my TV on all day and left the house for ~6-7hours, on an SD channel with black bars and there's no burn-in.

not to mention the hundreds of hours i've put in playing video games, GTA4 is a great example with it's static map and money display. i played that game for 52 hours, there are no ghost images of that circular map.

anyway whatever, we don't need to have this argument again.

Burn in is not a problem.
HIDE AND WATCH.:nono:
ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY
Playing with video games wont help much.
And no, we don't need to have this argument again.
But if you keep that set for another year or so get back to me, kay?:1:

Worf101
06-04-2008, 04:20 AM
I've two choices:

Order the top of the line Samsung Red Racer from a place in Jersey, get it in a couple of days.

Buy a 61-inch LED/DLP from a local B&M, spend less and have it tomorrow. Much as I like watching a good pissin' match, I have to make real time decisions round here.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Here's a Samsung 1080p DLP LED from Amazon, just in case you want to compare pricing. The vast majority of reviews are 5 star, including one where the guy talked about how the delivery people brought the set into the house and set it up (that review isn't in the same spot as it was yesterday, so you may have to dig for it).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL61A750-61-inch-1080p-Powered/dp/B001415FIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1212524316&sr=1-1

Worf101
06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Here's a Samsung 1080p DLP LED from Amazon, just in case you want to compare pricing. The vast majority of reviews are 5 star, including one where the guy talked about how the delivery people brought the set into the house and set it up (that review isn't in the same spot as it was yesterday, so you may have to dig for it).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL61A750-61-inch-1080p-Powered/dp/B001415FIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1212524316&sr=1-1

That's the one I'm looking at, here's the real cunnudrum

1. By the DLP save $900 on the cost of the set but have to spend more money on a serious TV stand to hold it and my components.

2. Spend the extra 9 large on the smaller LCD get a smaller stand keep my current component rack?

Da "Ohhh my head hurts" Worfster

GMichael
06-04-2008, 07:03 AM

1. By the DLP save $900 on the cost of the set but have to spend more money on a serious TV stand to hold it and my components.

2. Spend the extra 9 large on the smaller LCD get a smaller stand keep my current component rack?

Don't let your head explode Worf. It just aint worth it. I'm sure that you'll enjoy whatever you pick out. I like the DLP, but you've got to have room for it. Plus, expect to buy a new bulb every few years.
How far from the TV do you sit? The smaller LCD may be perfect if you sit close.
Did you look at the plasmas? Rule them out?
Not to make your head spin anymore, but have you looked into projectors? They have their own set of drawbacks, but give you the biggest picture for the least cash. Just another option.

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
The TV stand will hold a 61", and the vertical standing audio rack is currently holding about 100 lbs of A/V gear. This is that U-build-it stuff I was talking about. If I could afford nice entertainment center furniture I would've much prefered to go that route, but this stuff isn't too cheap looking in person. You can find stuff like this in some BB stores, but I bought most of my furniture online.

http://www.bush-furniture-online.com/Entertainment+Centers.html

Edit: For whatever reason I can't attach pictures but I'll try again from home.

Worf101
06-04-2008, 08:04 AM
We're going down to BB tonight to do some lookin' and measuring. We currently sit 14 feet from the old screen but with the DLP or the LCD you'll have to add another foot to that so 15 feet will be about right. The DLP I'm looking at is the new breed, no bulbs to replace, they use LEDs instead. It's down to DLP or LCD lest I see something tonight I didn't notice before. I'll also look around and see what furniture they have in place.

Thanks again...

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Happy shopping Worf. May you see something that jumps out at you as perfect for your needs.

Woochifer
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Given how far you sit from the TV, you might want to go with the largest screen size you can afford. The main drawback with DLP and RPTVs in general IMO is the narrower viewing angle.

Not to exert that Klingon brain even more unnecessarily, but for your room size, you could also look into front projectors if you got enough blank wall space. More of a pain to install since you likely need to mount a ceiling bracket, but you get to keep your component rack! :cool:

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
So he IS a Klingon. All this time I thought he was a Romulian. Oh well...

GMichael
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
you could also look into front projectors if you got enough blank wall space. More of a pain to install since you likely need to mount a ceiling bracket, but you get to keep your component rack! :cool:

Wish I thought of that.

Rich-n-Texas
06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Wish I thought of that.
ECHO ECHO ECHO echo echo

pixelthis
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
We're going down to BB tonight to do some lookin' and measuring. We currently sit 14 feet from the old screen but with the DLP or the LCD you'll have to add another foot to that so 15 feet will be about right. The DLP I'm looking at is the new breed, no bulbs to replace, they use LEDs instead. It's down to DLP or LCD lest I see something tonight I didn't notice before. I'll also look around and see what furniture they have in place.

Thanks again...

Da Worfster

ACTUALLY, you can sit closer with a HDTV.
I am currently sitting 5 feet from mine.
If you were sitting 14 ft from the old set, you can count on sitting 10 ft or less from the new set.
AND I am not familar with DLP viewing angles, I hear they are quite good, but with LCD
the viewing angle is quite wide.
Also the glare from an LCD is small, and they are quite bright, you can watch one in a lit room.
You will have less trouble selling a flat screen to the spouse, women love the look of
these.
However DLP has more screen per buck, and is (slightly) smoother.
Also with LED lit DLP YOU GET BETTER COLOR PURITY, LESS (IF ANY) FAN NOISE,
ITS really a different beast with LED
Here is a link with some good info:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/innerworkings/2601/inside-an-led-based-light-engine.html

Good luck:1:

GMichael
06-05-2008, 04:58 AM
I am currently sitting 5 feet from mine.
If you were sitting 14 ft from the old set, you can count on sitting 10 ft or less from the new set.
AND I am not familar with DLP viewing angles, I hear they are quite good, but with LCD
the viewing angle is quite wide.
Also the glare from an LCD is small, and they are quite bright, you can watch one in a lit room.
You will have less trouble selling a flat screen to the spouse, women love the look of
these.
However DLP has more screen per buck, and is (slightly) smoother.
Also with LED lit DLP YOU GET BETTER COLOR PURITY, LESS (IF ANY) FAN NOISE,
ITS really a different beast with LED
Here is a link with some good info:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/innerworkings/2601/inside-an-led-based-light-engine.html

Good luck:1:
OK, who the heck are you are you and what have you done with the real pixy?

Worf101
06-05-2008, 06:57 AM
I looked at the big three las night DLP, LCD and Plasma. I did the latter out of respect for all the folks that swear by its picture. I determined the following:

1. A 61 - Inch LED-DLP has a good if not great picture. But the viewing level (vertical) can effect the quality of the picture greatly.

2. Some plasma's have a superior picture but it depends on feed and brand.

3. The 6 and 7 Series Samsung LCD's running at 120hz refresh were absolutely amazing. Not only cryztal clear but posessing an almost 3D like depth of field I'd not seen in a monitor before.

If buying on picture alone, then its Sammy hands down. Now the only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the Sammies weren't using the same feed as the rest of the store. Were they getting a superior HD or Blue-Ray feed. The rest of monitors were ruuning 1080p off of coaxial cable but the Sammy's weren't so.... you tell me if there was something going on there.

Now the only real question is Series 6 or Series 7. Do I need a harddrive on my TV?

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2008, 07:21 AM
My guess is the feed on the Samsung's WAS Blu-ray. What you describe is what I've also seen on Sony HDTV's in stores that were playing Blu-ray movies. I think I read that the eye can't pick up the difference in refresh rates, but I could be wrong.

TV's don't come with hard drives AFAIK. If you have a DVR or TiVo, you have a drive for recording.

GMichael
06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tough to judge PQ at the store. Lighting is not what you'll have a home, plus as you said, you don't know what kind of signal each are getting. Add to that, that the settings have been maxed out on some and it's a guessing game.
The one good thing is that most all of them are going to give you a much better picture than you were used to.
Samsung is a good brand. Not the top of the line, but not a bottom feeder either. My dad picked up a 52" Samsung plasma a few months ago. He loves it. I would guess that their LCD's are equally as good.
What is the return policy on it?

Worf101
06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
My guess is the feed on the Samsung's WAS Blu-ray. What you describe is what I've also seen on Sony HDTV's in stores that were playing Blu-ray movies. I think I read that the eye can't pick up the difference in refresh rates, but I could be wrong.

TV's don't come with hard drives AFAIK. If you have a DVR or TiVo, you have a drive for recording.
The Series 7's DO come with an internal 1 gig HD full of "content" already. Or you can use it to store your own "screen saver".

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Well whaddaya know!? Learn something new every day (Of course I haven't been in the TV market for a while now...). I wonder what content they install on it?

Worf101
06-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Well whaddaya know!? Learn something new every day (Of course I haven't been in the TV market for a while now...). I wonder what content they install on it?
I shudder to think. Most likely "free" songs, adverts etc... I finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger on a TV. Bought the Series 6 Samsung 52-Inch LCD over the Series 7. The only difference is a powered sub on the 7 which I don't need as I have a full HT sound system. Thanks for all the information and help.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Congrats on your purchase Worf! I'm sure you'll be plenty happy with it.

GMichael
06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Congrats Woof. Don't forget to post pics and a review.

Worf101
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
On that you can rely!!!!!

Thanks again for all the love.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Woof??? "Who let the dogs out?" :lol:

GMichael
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Woof??? "Who let the dogs out?" :lol:

That's what Diana's mom used to call him. Mr Woof. Or was it My Wolf?

pixelthis
06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
OK, who the heck are you are you and what have you done with the real pixy?

I usually post later at night, after the meds have worn off:1:

bobsticks
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I shudder to think. Most likely "free" songs, adverts etc... I finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger on a TV. Bought the Series 6 Samsung 52-Inch LCD over the Series 7. The only difference is a powered sub on the 7 which I don't need as I have a full HT sound system. Thanks for all the information and help.

Da Worfster

Veddy kewl Worfster, that's as slick as a green gals booty...can't wait to read your impressions.

Smokey
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I am currently sitting 5 feet from mine. If you were sitting 14 ft from the old set, you can count on sitting 10 ft or less from the new set.

You are on the right track. According to bottom chart, for optimum viewing of 1080 sets, the distance should be about 7 feet.

For 720 HD sets like yours, ideal distance is about 7 feet.

Ideal sitting distance chart. (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/0602_tech_talk2_large.jpg)

johnny p
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
You are on the right track. According to bottom chart, for optimum viewing of 1080 sets, the distance should be about 7 feet.

For 720 HD sets like yours, ideal distance is about 7 feet.

Ideal sitting distance chart. (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/0602_tech_talk2_large.jpg)

That viewing chart is KEY.... I'm saving $2k by purchasing a 720p projector because my viewing distance is going to be about 15-17 feet away, and although I'd like a 1080p and could sit closer I guess.... I'm afforded the space, so I can't justify the added expense of the 1080p my screen size will be 80-90"

A side note... a dedicated theater room is needed for a projector for several reasons.

1) Light washes out the image, so darkness is necessary

2) If you use the projector for watching the news, HGTV, etc (everyday use) you're gonna burn through bulbs like crack-rock!

3) You usually need to mount them on the ceiling, and most "family rooms" aren't asthetically pleasing with electronics hanging from the ceiling!!!!! (I'm installing an electrical outlet in the ceiling as well)

pixelthis
06-10-2008, 11:23 PM
That viewing chart is KEY.... I'm saving $2k by purchasing a 720p projector because my viewing distance is going to be about 15-17 feet away, and although I'd like a 1080p and could sit closer I guess.... I'm afforded the space, so I can't justify the added expense of the 1080p my screen size will be 80-90"

A side note... a dedicated theater room is needed for a projector for several reasons.

1) Light washes out the image, so darkness is necessary

2) If you use the projector for watching the news, HGTV, etc (everyday use) you're gonna burn through bulbs like crack-rock!

3) You usually need to mount them on the ceiling, and most "family rooms" aren't asthetically pleasing with electronics hanging from the ceiling!!!!! (I'm installing an electrical outlet in the ceiling as well)

A dedicated room is key for all of these reasons, not to mention that sitting in your underwear drinking beer while watching Battlestar Galactica
tends to creep out the old ladys houseguests:1:

Worf101
06-11-2008, 05:14 AM
I was too tired to take pics but will post some soon as I get home to take some later today. Looks beeeeyouuuutiful. The NBA looks watchable in HiDef as does Hockey. I'll have to hold off on the new HT receiver till next year, for now I'm using component video run through the Onkyo 898. Two things "retired" in this upgrade, the turntable and the VCR are now relegated to the basement until I can arrange to sell them on the Bay.

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-11-2008, 05:18 AM
I was too tired to take pics but will post some soon as I get home to take some later today. Looks beeeeyouuuutiful. The NBA looks watchable in HiDef as does Hockey. I'll have to hold off on the new HT receiver till next year, for now I'm using component video run through the Onkyo 898. Two things "retired" in this upgrade, the turntable and the VCR are now relegated to the basement until I can arrange to sell them on the Bay.

Da Worfster

Glad to hear (or read) that you are happy with it Worf. When is movie night?

Rich-n-Texas
06-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Speaking of NBA, who won the game last night?

Worf101
06-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Speaking of NBA, who won the game last night?
Lakers 87-81. Kobe saved their bacon, nobody else in gold showed up.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
SH!T!!! :incazzato:

Worf101
06-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Glad to hear (or read) that you are happy with it Worf. When is movie night?
Soon as I can afford the popcorn!!!! LOL...

One side note I put the old mankiller out on the curb Tuesday night at about 9:20 PM. Put the remote in a back and stuck a sign on her that said:

"Works with cable but is extremely HEAVY"

It was gone when I looked at 5:45 the following morning. Old gals not officially with her 3rd family. If they get her repaired they might get years out of her still. Made me feel a little sad though. The old girl was big, ugly and full of faults, (no component in's, drank electricity like a sailor on leave etc...) but she gave us all she had.

Da "Strangely Sentimental" Worfster

BadAssJazz
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Lakers 87-81. Kobe saved their bacon, nobody else in gold showed up.

We disturb this broadcast for an important announcement...

Sasha showed up, too. Have to give "The Machine" some credit for not sputtering or breaking down like the rest of the squad members not named Kobe Bryant.

You many now resume the topic at hand...

BadAssJazz
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I looked at the big three las night DLP, LCD and Plasma. I did the latter out of respect for all the folks that swear by its picture. I determined the following:

2. Some plasma's have a superior picture but it depends on feed and brand.

3. If buying on picture alone, then its Sammy hands down.

I was going to suggest a side by side comparison in your home under your optimal viewing conditions, but you've already made the choice. Like everyone else here, I make frequent trips to BB, CC, Fry's, Sears, Magnolia Hi Fi, and a few other local audio/video-phile stores in here in Northern CA...and the one thing that I've concluded is that the sales folks really enjoy manipulating buyer perceptions.

Long story...

A few years ago, when I bought my first plasma, I went first to Fry's and found an Akai plasma next to the Panny that I eventually bought. The Akai was on discount, and wouldn't you know it, boy, did that picture look scintillating compared to the Panny plasma, as well as the other plasmas. It was so impressive that I almost bought it on the spot.

But on a hunch, I decided to go across town to CompUSA (now defunct) to see what they were offering. CompUSA usually left the remotes out with the TV's, so you could tinker around with the settings. As fate would have it, CompUSA also had the Akai as well as my Panny. No special sale on the Akai or the Panny. I picked up the remotes and set each one to the same default settings. The Akai had a great picture...compared to an LCD. But compared to the Panasonic plasma, it wasn't even close. My guess is the guys at Fry's were pulling a fast one on their customers.

Either way, you've taken the plunge & congratz on your purchase. If you like the picture for basketball games, you're going to LOVE watching the NFL in HD. Especially the cheerleaders.:ihih:

GMichael
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
. Especially the cheerleaders.:ihih:

Which brings us to the subject of DVR's. Don't forget to get a DVR if you don't already have one.

BadAssJazz
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Which brings us to the subject of DVR's. Don't forget to get a DVR if you don't already have one.

I second that

Worf101
06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I second that
And done, got the Hi Def DVR working as we speak.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
06-11-2008, 06:36 PM
AND...

Welcome to the latest and greatest in Hi-def Home Theater lifestyles Mr. Worfster! :thumbsup:

This'll definately dumb-down the kids and make them MUCH more manageable. :smilewinkgrin:

GMichael
06-12-2008, 05:17 AM
AND...

Welcome to the latest and greatest in Hi-def Home Theater lifestyles Mr. Worfster! :thumbsup:

This'll definately dumb-down the kids and make them MUCH more manageable. :smilewinkgrin:
He could set his DVR to record all the educational shows that are available.
Worf, Just click on search, then genre, and flip down to educational. You'll find more shows than your kids have time to watch.

AHHHHHhhh.. Who are we kidding? The Dallas Cheerleader tryouts are in HD on ESPN. Slow-mo is our friend!

Worf101
06-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Between G-Man and RnT I'll be before Child Protective Services yet.

Not the best pics but the best I could do. Not the best room for a HT but for a "Sears House" build in 1934 it ain't bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/HD-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/HD-1.jpg

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Looks like a fine TV & room. I like the dark wood console.
How are you liking it so far?

Worf101
06-12-2008, 06:28 AM
One word....

tits...

It's absolutely stunning. ESPN HD, movie channels in HD my gawd... marvelous.

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM
One word....

tits...

It's absolutely stunning. ESPN HD, movie channels in HD my gawd... marvelous.

Da Worfster

Are you a Mechanic? I have known many Mechanics over the years, and that word is a very popular way for them to describe something that is perfect. Also heard it a lot in Harley riding circles.

Glad you are enjoying the new toy.

Rich-n-Texas
06-12-2008, 07:29 AM
I like that REAL hardwood floor. Watchya got back there in the front hall at the bottom of the steps Worf? Anything I might need? :ihih:

Worf101
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I like that REAL hardwood floor. Watchya got back there in the front hall at the bottom of the steps Worf? Anything I might need? :ihih:
ONLY because I "KINDA" like you.
ONLY because well you're an occaisionally funny guy.
and ONLY because... well you asked.

The box on the right is a top o' line VCR, you can put it right next to your 8 track tape player.

The one on the left is my Music Hall MM2 turntable, about 6 years old. Upgraded cabling, nice cartridge. Don't know what I'm gonna do with her.. haven't played an album (yes I have some) in years.

Da Worfster

PS: I had only 4 criteria when I bought my first house.
1. Hardwood floors.
2. Working Fireplace.
3. 2 Car garage.
4. Gas heat.

The old girl maybe closing in on 74 years of age but she flies true.

Rich-n-Texas
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
ONLY because I "KINDA" like you.
"KINDA"? :frown5:

ONLY because well you're an occaisionally funny guy.
"Occasionally"? Help me GM, I must be losing my touch. :cryin:

and ONLY because... well you asked.

The box on the right is a top o' line VCR, you can put it right next to your 8 track tape player.

The one on the left is my Music Hall MM2 turntable, about 6 years old. Upgraded cabling, nice cartridge. Don't know what I'm gonna do with her.. haven't played an album (yes I have some) in years.

Da Worfster

PS: I had only 4 criteria when I bought my first house.
1. Hardwood floors.
2. Working Fireplace.
3. 2 Car garage.
4. Gas heat.

The old girl maybe closing in on 70 years of age but she flies true.
Yes, they used to build houses to last didn't they?:idea:

GMichael
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
"KINDA"? :frown5:

"Occasionally"? Help me GM, I must be losing my touch. :cryin:

Yes, they used to build houses to last didn't they?:idea:

1) He's a cling-on. That's as close to a compliment as you'll get.
2) See # 1.
3) Who flies around in a house?:confused5:

Rich-n-Texas
06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
The Enterprise was a house. People ate and slept there... until it got broke. :sad:

f0rge
06-13-2008, 07:33 AM
wow looks sweet man, congrats on the new set.

BadAssJazz
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Not the best pics but the best I could do. Not the best room for a HT but for a "Sears House" build in 1934 it ain't bad.

No need to go all HGTV on us just yet. That pic is just proof that you're a purist. "Set up the rig and damn everything else!"

Besides, everyone that has a home designed for HT is probably spending more time working to pay for it, than actually enjoying the toys. (And I say this thinking of a friend who just bought a Carrera GT a few months ago, but has yet to drive it for longer than a 10 minute commute to/from the office. What a waste.)