Netflix and their 99$ movie machine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix and their 99$ movie machine

pixelthis
05-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Saw this on the news crawl on fox news.
Not much detail, but I thought I WOULD POST A THREAD SO THAT THOSE IN THE KNOW would maybe post something, as there is nothing on their website about it.
But whatever it is its not "VOD", that wont happen for a decade according to sir talky:1:

techjunkie
05-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Saw this on the news crawl on fox news.
Not much detail, but I thought I WOULD POST A THREAD SO THAT THOSE IN THE KNOW would maybe post something, as there is nothing on their website about it.
But whatever it is its not "VOD", that wont happen for a decade according to sir talky:1:

It's an internet based streaming device by Roku :

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

However, the small print is that they're stilling putting together HD content, although the device can handle HD content now.

Groundbeef
05-30-2008, 09:20 AM
There have been discussions between NetFlix, and MS LIVE for the XBOX 360 to also stream content from NetFlix. Nothing has happened as of yet.

pixelthis
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
It's an internet based streaming device by Roku :

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

However, the small print is that they're stilling putting together HD content, although the device can handle HD content now.

Small steps, small steps.
It has HDMI and component , so theres hope:1:

techjunkie
06-03-2008, 06:26 AM
This could hamper VOD depending on what their results are and what other cable companies decide.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9958111-7.html

In a test of metered Internet access that's set to begin Thursday, subscribers who go over their limit for uploading and downloading material will be charged $1 per gigabyte,

blackraven
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
And some one said blu-ray was dying! I think not!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
This could hamper VOD depending on what their results are and what other cable companies decide.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9958111-7.html

In a test of metered Internet access that's set to begin Thursday, subscribers who go over their limit for uploading and downloading material will be charged $1 per gigabyte,

You have this right. I have mention this before that downloading is going to have to swim hard against VOD. I do not think that telecoms and cable companies want their bandwidth used up by their competitors. Especially at the cost of their precious VOD revenue which is not all that great anyway.

06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
And some one said blu-ray was dying! I think not!

Not when Bluray is selling more discs in three months than the did all last year. And certainly not when they cannot keep up with the demand in players like they can't now. Bluray is just gettin started!!!

pixelthis
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
And hopefully not ending at the same time.
They are only selling as many in a three month period as they sold all year is one way of looking at it.
THEY have the market to themselves now, after all:1:

blackraven
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
And hopefully not ending at the same time.
They are only selling as many in a three month period as they sold all year is one way of looking at it.
THEY have the market to themselves now, after all:1:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Blu-Ray sales are soaring because HD TV sales are good and people want to take advantage of HD. I think we are now seeing people buying BRP's because the format war is over. BR will eventually over take DVD. People will be forced to buy HD TV's as their CRT TV's get older and break down. And as BRP prices drop they will replace DVDP's.

I believe that BR sales will continue to rise and just wait till the fall christmas rush.

pixelthis
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure I understand your point. Blu-Ray sales are soaring because HD TV sales are good and people want to take advantage of HD. I think we are now seeing people buying BRP's because the format war is over. BR will eventually over take DVD. People will be forced to buy HD TV's as their CRT TV's get older and break down. And as BRP prices drop they will replace DVDP's.

I believe that BR sales will continue to rise and just wait till the fall christmas rush.

I beleive (and hope) you're right.
My point is that three months of sales equaling a years worth from last year is still
a little low, sure its an increase, but considering that Blu is the only game in town ...
You're right on one thing, christmas will tell:1:

06-05-2008, 08:24 AM
I beleive (and hope) you're right.
My point is that three months of sales equaling a years worth from last year is still
a little low, sure its an increase, but considering that Blu is the only game in town ...
You're right on one thing, christmas will tell:1:

Ummm Pix, do you have access to NDP?

pixelthis
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Ummm Pix, do you have access to NDP?

No more than anyone else.
I disagree with you on almost everything but I think we can agree that Blu will be the next major format.
I think where the big disagreement is just how "big" big will be:1:

06-06-2008, 06:59 AM
No more than anyone else.
I disagree with you on almost everything but I think we can agree that Blu will be the next major format.
I think where the big disagreement is just how "big" big will be:1:

You made this comment

a little low, sure its an increase, but considering that Blu is the only game in town

Ummm, you really can't say that sales are "a little low" without a proper comparison from last year to this. Sales are not a little low at all, they are six times as much in the first few months of this year than they were up from January to July of last year. Bluray has sold more discs this year so far than all of last year combined. This would not represent a "little" of anything. This is quite a sales push, so big that the manufacturers can not keep up.

pixelthis
06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
You made this comment

a little low, sure its an increase, but considering that Blu is the only game in town

Ummm, you really can't say that sales are "a little low" without a proper comparison from last year to this. Sales are not a little low at all, they are six times as much in the first few months of this year than they were up from January to July of last year. Bluray has sold more discs this year so far than all of last year combined. This would not represent a "little" of anything. This is quite a sales push, so big that the manufacturers can not keep up.

they are the only HD disc player now so the bar is higher.
SORRY but a lot I talk to just arent in that big a hurry to get one of these players.
For me personally the price of discs is high.
NOT SAYING THEY are unreasonable but that I couldnt get more than one or two a month,
at most. Could rental product keep me happy?
I might watch four to six movies a month on a Blu player, if that.
Just wont be cost effective, 400 bucks for a player and 50 to a hundred a month for movies.
Heck, gas is costing 180 a month, and I live three miles from work!!:1: