Time Frame Rehab project [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time Frame Rehab project

thekid
05-18-2008, 05:40 AM
I am picking up a couple of pairs of DCM TF-350's tomorrow. The owner said that one pair is in very good condition all the way around. For $25 more he is throwing in a pair that have the grill sock removed but the drivers work. Anyone here ever replaced the grill "sock" on a pair od Time Frames? I'd appreciate any help I can get, it would be nice to be able to use all 4 speakers.

budgetaudio76
05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
it should be a nice project for you to work on. and im sure it would be much easier than you have anticipated so far. i finished up refoaming a pair of infinity rsa speaks on saturday. MUCH easier than i thought it would be. works correct...no coil rub, which is a good thing. surround looks to be on straight. none of it distorted like some of the other surround fixes ive seen. i enjoyed my time fixing them with alot of anticipation. with great results. now aspeak needing refoam will not scare me off. and youll think the same for your project. hope you have fun with yours. post your results?.... whats a grill sock anyway?

thekid
05-19-2008, 02:15 AM
it should be a nice project for you to work on. and im sure it would be much easier than you have anticipated so far. i finished up refoaming a pair of infinity rsa speaks on saturday. MUCH easier than i thought it would be. works correct...no coil rub, which is a good thing. surround looks to be on straight. none of it distorted like some of the other surround fixes ive seen. i enjoyed my time fixing them with alot of anticipation. with great results. now aspeak needing refoam will not scare me off. and youll think the same for your project. hope you have fun with yours. post your results?.... whats a grill sock anyway?

Thanks for responding.

Hard to explain the term "grill sock" unless you are familiar with the design of the Time Frame series. They were not traditional box speakers. Time Frames have a wood caps at the top and bottom and grill/foam material fit over the entire speaker frame. These particular speakers are about 3' tall and 6-7" at their base slowly tapering to about 2-3' at the top. The original design had a thin foam material covering the surface with holes cut out for the drivers. The grill was then a one piece "sock" that was pulled over the speaker frame, attached at either the top or the bottom and covered by one of the wooden caps. The grill "sock" is no longer available so you have to order grill material from say Parts Express and make your own "sock". I was hoping someone here had done it so I knew what kind of foam and how much grill material I would need.

aakicee
04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
bought two Boston Acoustics T1000 tower speakers back in the mid 80s. All four woffers rotted out, and one tweeter died. So I removed everything else, except the stuff to fill in / line the cabinet. I installed a Dayton 8" Reference Series woofer and covered up all of the other holes; this side has become the back. On what used to be the back, I installed a Goldwood 8" full-range driver. The back drivers are driven with one receiver, and the front speakers are driven with another receiver. Via each receiver's bass, treble, and volumes controls, I have much control over the sound. By running the back speakers flat and by adding a little bass and a bit more treble to the front speakers, I have achieved very good sound.