DeVore Gibbon 8's or Salk Songtowers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DeVore Gibbon 8's or Salk Songtowers?

dogorman
05-18-2008, 05:19 AM
I have enough money in the budget to try one more pair of speakers before calling the whole thing done for another twenty years. Emphasis is on quick, snappy, detail-oriented sound with excellent image, but still silky enough through the mid and treble so as not to overwhelm my slap-happy room. Power is McCormack DNA-HT5, pre is McCormack MAP-1, interconnects by Blue Jeans, power and speaker cables by Element.

If the two finalists are the DeVore Gibbon-8 and the Salk Songtowers (with the previously stated objectives in mind), which pair is the better choice? It's impractical for me to audition either pair before buying and trying.

humblehifi
10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I have the Gibbons and they are simply amazing. Actually they haunted me fore three years since I first heard them. I had shuffled through a few different speakers, Snell, B&W, ect but ended up just loving the Devores. They are great with tubes and really sing with most anything i throw at them. The detail and soundstage is breathtaking with very true to life vocals and instruments. I think Willie Nelson is n my room right now... I would say that if you can swing the Devore Gibbons, do that. you will not be sorry.

I am running them off a VTL IT-85 if that helps you...

blackraven
10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I've heard the Salk HT3's and they sounded great. They were over at Frank Van Alstines and they had a wonderful sound with excellent bass. They had a beautiful finish on them, wood with a thick layer of Polyeurythane. The ribbon tweeter was great. The problem in listening to these speakers was that it was hooked up to his DAC, Preamp and Power amp all or which were hybrid models and they gave this nice rich wonderful sound and it was hard to tell how much was his equipment or the speakers.
http://www.salksound.com/ht3.shtml

Worf101
10-08-2008, 04:27 AM
I've heard the Salk HT3's and they sounded great. They were over at Frank Van Alstines and they had a wonderful sound with excellent bass. They had a beautiful finish on them, wood with a thick layer of Polyeurythane. The ribbon tweeter was great. The problem in listening to these speakers was that it was hooked up to his DAC, Preamp and Power amp all or which were hybrid models and they gave this nice rich wonderful sound and it was hard to tell how much was his equipment or the speakers.
http://www.salksound.com/ht3.shtml
Good God man that's one beautiful speaker. Low WAF but it makes me moist.

Da Worfster