Dude, stop being a tease and post the review already :arf:

kexodusc
05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Dude, stop being a tease and post the review already :arf:
Yeah, I'm dying to learn how this amp performs!!! :mad2:

Rich-n-Texas
05-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh come on Kex, you know better than I do! :yesnod:

I'm very happy that I made this investment. I don't have everything set up properly yet, but it has made a world of difference in my living room. I sat down for a few minutes between sliding this loveseat this way and that recliner that way for some Pink Floyd "Animals" tracks and it just blew my mind what I was hearing. No lie, I got goose bumps while Gilmore was wailing away. I could actually hear (and I may not be describing this right) a passage or lick come to an end instead of what I've previously perceived as it fading away into the song. The punch from the bass (mains bass) was there, and everything just seemed much tighter, with more detail. While I was watching the "Pulse" concert, I heard the backing gals' oooohhing and aaaahhing at times that I'd previously not heard them at all. I don't have my surrounds connected yet because after moving the audio rack to the opposite end of the TV stand, my cables to the wall jacks came up a bit short. The amp is sitting on an old printer stand in front of the receiver for now because I won't have the IC's that I ordered from Blue Jeans until next week.

The first CD I played was a Tears for Fears disk that I always liked because it IMO was well produced and has quite a few instruments outside of the normal Rock-n-Roll pieces. These tracks were played at "concert level" but I have to say at times the songs sounded a bit harsh. I was playing the song "Shout" and the cymbals and guitar kind of made me cringe a little, but then I checked the level with the SPL meter and well, the volume in the room was tapping the 100 dB mark ( :ihih: ) I think that'll tame down when I finish with room treatments. I want to finish up with room treatments now so PLEASE STOP TALKING ME INTO BUYING STUFF... OKAY?!
That means you L.J. :mad5:

I have to recalibrate the receiver because as I mentioned, I've moved furniture around and the speaker placement has changed so I'll chat more about this after everything's in place and has been tweaked some more.

Thanks again for your input Kex. Good advice, well received. And oh yeah...

...this amplifier can play LOUD
Oh YEAH! ("Thank you God") :D

kexodusc
05-17-2008, 04:08 PM
The first CD I played was a Tears for Fears disk that I always liked because it IMO was well produced and has quite a few instruments outside of the normal Rock-n-Roll pieces. These tracks were played at "concert level" but I have to say at times the songs sounded a bit harsh. I was playing the song "Shout" and the cymbals and guitar kind of made me cringe a little, but then I checked the level with the SPL meter and well, the volume in the room was tapping the 100 dB mark ( :ihih: ) I think that'll tame down when I finish with room treatments. I want to finish up with room treatments

Scary isn't it. Too much of that will damage your hearing :)
I really can't get over how much easier on the ears this amp plays music at 90 db + levels compared to my other amps. Judging by your comments above, you experienced the same thing I did - total loss of loudness awareness. It just plays clean and mean.

I have to recalibrate the receiver because as I mentioned, I've moved furniture around and the speaker placement has changed so I'll chat more about this after everything's in place and has been tweaked some more.

Thanks again for your input Kex. Good advice, well received.
Wait till you get your receiver settings calibrated...

so PLEASE STOP TALKING ME INTO BUYING STUFF... OKAY?!
That means you L.J.
I'm guessing you have a pretty good opportunity to here to apply some reciprocal pressure to return the favor...:lol:

Rich-n-Texas
05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
The volume level on the receiver was set at -5dB when I read the SPL meter. Later, when I was listening at what I thought was a reasonable volume, the meter was peaking at 80 dB. I was certainly surprised when I saw that.

kexodusc
05-17-2008, 04:27 PM
The volume level on the receiver was set at -5dB when I read the SPL meter. Later, when I was listening at what I thought was a reasonable volume, the meter was peaking at 80 dB. I was certainly surprised when I saw that.
Don't read too much into that (the -5dB setting) - the gain structure of the LPA-1 and your Yammie's internal amps are probably different. Also, the signal doesn't travel the same path obviously so its probable there's different signal strength reaching each amps what with one having to go through pre-outs and so forth. I've noticed 8 dB difference between the loudest and quietest amps I own. Quite a bit.

Distortion really affects our sense of loudness - absence of distortion (THD, clipping, etc) doesn't sound as loud as the same music played with even just a little bit of audible distortion. I get a kick out of some of the car audio guys in my neighborhood who tell me their stereos already hurt their ears so they don't need more power. when more power would keep their ears from hurting.

diggity
05-18-2008, 02:18 AM
man that amp is a big mutha!! where did ya put it?

Rich-n-Texas
05-18-2008, 05:49 AM
In my house!

diggity
05-18-2008, 06:46 AM
i thought texans lived where the buffalo roam :skep:

Rich-n-Texas
05-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Nope. "Nothing here but steers-n-*****s!" :biggrin5:

pixelthis
05-18-2008, 10:34 PM
i thought texans lived where the buffalo roam :skep:

He's not a "texan", hes from jersey.
If he lives in Texas his entire life he gets to be a yankee who lived in TEXAS HIS ENTIRE LIFE.
You dont get to be French by moving to France, same with the south, or Texas.
Same applies with being a yankee, you dont get to be a yankee by moving north.
THANK GOD:1:

audio amateur
05-19-2008, 02:19 AM
He's not a "texan", hes from jersey.
If he lives in Texas his entire life he gets to be a yankee who lived in TEXAS HIS ENTIRE LIFE.
You dont get to be French by moving to France, same with the south, or Texas.
Same applies with being a yankee, you dont get to be a yankee by moving north.
THANK GOD:1:
I've lived in France my whole life. Does that make me French?

L.J.
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
PLEASE STOP TALKING ME INTO BUYING STUFF... OKAY?!
That means you L.J. :mad5:

HUh?

Dude, what's up with that review. Surely you got your cables by now. I get my BJC cable the next day.

Rich-n-Texas
05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
HUh?

Dude, what's up with that review. Surely you got your cables by now. I get my BJC cable the next day.
Brought them in about 30 minutes ago. I appreciate BJC sending them USPS Priority, but could they not have at least packed a little bubble wrap around them? :idea:

Anyway, you didn't like my review? In my case I don't have anything to compare this amp to, obviously since it's my first component purchase of this type in the signal path. And I wasn't able to audition other speakers, so again, nothing to compare to. I can only speak to what I heard with the old HTR 5740, then the 3800, and now this thing. Each step of the way I heard improvements; I'm astonished with what the speakers sound like now but I can't say that they're at their full potential. Kex OTOH has had all sorts of contraptions to mix and match so his review is definately going to be one laced with more experience and thoroughness (hopefully that all made sense).

In any event, since I have the A/V furniture in a more accessible position, I'm going to do some mods to the audio rack (like pull that crappy cardboard backer panel off), and I might buy another HDMI cable to replace the one that came with the FIOS box. Right now I have the Monster HDMI cable running directly from the STB to the TV, and I'd swear the picture looks much better than with that long black cable. I'm going to swap that one back in then compare. I'm also thinking I may not have something in the receiver set properly, so I want to do a side-by-side with that scenario as well. I have to make longer speaker cables too. :o

I'll have everything in place sometime this week, and then I'll get more panels made up.

Update your gallery yet L.J.? :ciappa:

L.J.
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Brought them in about 30 minutes ago. I appreciate BJC sending them USPS Priority, but could they not have at least packed a little bubble wrap around them? :idea:

Anyway, you didn't like my review? In my case I don't have anything to compare this amp to, obviously since it's my first component purchase of this type in the signal path. And I wasn't able to audition other speakers, so again, nothing to compare to. I can only speak to what I heard with the old HTR 5740, then the 3800, and now this thing. Each step of the way I heard improvements; I'm astonished with what the speakers sound like now but I can't say that they're at their full potential. Kex OTOH has had all sorts of contraptions to mix and match so his review is definately going to be one laced with more experience and thoroughness (hopefully that all made sense).

In any event, since I have the A/V furniture in a more accessible position, I'm going to do some mods to the audio rack (like pull that crappy cardboard backer panel off), and I might buy another HDMI cable to replace the one that came with the FIOS box. Right now I have the Monster HDMI cable running directly from the STB to the TV, and I'd swear the picture looks much better than with that long black cable. I'm going to swap that one back in then compare. I'm also thinking I may not have something in the receiver set properly, so I want to do a side-by-side with that scenario as well. I have to make longer speaker cables too. :o

I'll have everything in place sometime this week, and then I'll get more panels made up.

Update your gallery yet L.J.? :ciappa:

Oh, I'll have to go back and read this thread. No, no updated photos yet. I'll try to get around to it next week. How the heck do you post those small pics that get bigger when you click on them?

kexodusc
05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
o I want to do a side-by-side with that scenario as well. I have to make longer speaker cables too. :o

If you go ahead doing side-by-side swaps with the amp and receiver, and you're swapping cables, be careful. Turn them off. Unplug them even. You could get zapped which would suck, but even worse, you could short your receiver or amp if you accidentally cross wires while its on.
I bumped the bananas while trying to maneuver mine in my rack and it tripped the protect mode once. Good thing too - I managed to yank a wire out of a banana and sure enough it had landed flat on another terminal.

A/B tests are fun, but they're a lot of work.

Personally Rich, I tend to put more weight on reviews from (credible) people with less experience. Sometimes you really have to "learn how to listen" to pick out differences in equipment upgrades. I go into a near shaolin ninja state of concentration whenever I compare DAC's because I find differences to be extremely small. Same with CD players.

If a total newb can walk in a room and immediately realize he's hearing things he didn't hear before, then I tend to believe the improvements are more substantial.
I bet people find your perspective every bit as valid, if not more so than mine. I never really expanded too much on how the receiver's internal amp compared since I had already done that with the other power amps I elected to use and I probably just skipped ahead.

I suspect most interested people who would read what you have to say would be receiver owners looking for a decent (perhaps their first) multi-channel power amp, and they'll want to know how it stacked up against a comparable receiver, not how it fared against other amps. That's probably the biggest target market for this particular amp, at least.

Rich-n-Texas
05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh, I'll have to go back and read this thread. No, no updated photos yet. I'll try to get around to it next week. How the heck do you post those small pics that get bigger when you click on them?
PhotoBucket has an option that will generate an HTML code for "Clickable Thumbnail Images".

f0rge
05-20-2008, 06:23 AM
maaaaaaaaaaaaaan...now i really want one...

Rich-n-Texas
05-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll have all five channels singing tonite after I make up another pair of speaker cables.THEN we'll see what the neighbors think. :ihih:

(Yes, I'll also remember to demo the Genesis DVD-A with questionable merits)

Rich-n-Texas
05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I'm running on all five (.1) now, and the results are the same. Heavy bass passages cause lowered mids, including vocals with DVD-A's. dB level seems to make no difference, so I'm going to blame the DVD-A standard and leave 'em on the store shelves. :nonod:

kexodusc
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm running on all five (.1) now, and the results are the same. Heavy bass passages cause lowered mids, including vocals with DVD-A's. dB level seems to make no difference, so I'm going to blame the DVD-A standard and leave 'em on the store shelves. :nonod:
Well, if it's happening on 2 different amps at all volumes I'm inclined to believe it's the recording - either intentionally made that way or just a unfortunate oversight of some sort.
You'll find as your system gets better you'll start to notice all sorts of terrible nasties in various recordings that you didn't here before.
It's like a superhero's curse.

pixelthis
05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
A lot think that "burn in" is a thing of the past, with speakers being the only thing that still require some running to get "broken in".
But values of the components will change, if only slightly.
Whether or not this will change the sound of the amp I dunno.
BUT leave it out where peeeps can see it, okay?
ITS PURTTY:1:

kexodusc
05-21-2008, 03:39 AM
A lot think that "burn in" is a thing of the past, with speakers being the only thing that still require some running to get "broken in".
Think you nailed it here. I've never owned a piece of electronics that exhibited "burn in" other than speakers, and even tweeters don't exhibit changes in T/S parameters or FR when I test them after a month or so. For woofers I'll notice changes in Fs with even 20 minutes of play time on them. I don't think the hundreds of hours period speaker companies suggest is necessary, but there could be some models out there that take forever to break in. Makes you wonder how they'd ever sound good in store though?

Rich-n-Texas
05-21-2008, 03:42 PM
:yikes: Whoops!

I'm jamming to Systematic Chaos right now; the SPL meter is set to 90dB, and when "Ministry of Lost Souls" transitioned to "In the Presence of Enemies - Part 2" the needle smacked the stop at the top end (I'm in deep doodoo if I bent the dam thing! :eek: ). I changed the meter setting to 100dB and it peaked at 105dB, all channels driven.

I'll tell ya what. This amp has no problem whatsoever handling mid to low frequencies, especially drums. VERY good reproduction.

I'm frickin' PUMPED!!! :3: :3: :3:

kexodusc
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
:yikes: Whoops!

I'm jamming to Systematic Chaos right now; the SPL meter is set to 90dB, and when "Ministry of Lost Souls" transitioned to "In the Presence of Enemies - Part 2" the needle smacked the stop at the top end (I'm in deep doodoo if I bent the dam thing! :eek: ). I changed the meter setting to 100dB and it peaked at 105dB, all channels driven.

I'll tell ya what. This amp has no problem whatsoever handling mid to low frequencies, especially drums. VERY good reproduction.

I'm frickin' PUMPED!!! :3: :3: :3:

That's like the quietest transition piece on that album...you're going to hurt your ears or your gear if you're playing it that loud. Time to ease back a bit maybe, hey Rich...RICH...RICH!!!!
Not to turn this into an ill advised pissing match, but I hit 110 dB in my room from my seating position in the depth charge scenes of U-571. Man, my subs rule. I've never had them that loud before...it was too uncomfortable to sustain for more than a few seconds, and I'm pretty sure I'm approaching dangerous levels. this was with 7 channels going (normal DTS ES mode) and my speakers set to small. Peaks above 110 are far beyond any theater I've ever been too.

Some people listen at those levels frequently. That's a sure bet way to go deaf prematurely.

Rich-n-Texas
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
That's like the quietest transition piece on that album...you're going to hurt your ears or your gear if you're playing it that loud. Time to ease back a bit maybe, hey Rich...RICH...RICH!!!!
Okay. I just loaded up some Stevie Ray Vaughn. Only hitting 90 now. :thumbsup:

Not to turn this into an ill advised pissing match, but I hit 110 dB in my room from my seating position in the depth charge scenes of U-571. Man, my subs rule. I've never had them that loud before...it was too uncomfortable to sustain for more than a few seconds, and I'm pretty sure I'm approaching dangerous levels. this was with 7 channels going (normal DTS ES mode) and my speakers set to small. Peaks above 110 are far beyond any theater I've ever been too.
Cool man! I'm going to re-rent that movie as soon as I get the tweaks taken care of in here. IIRC, someone said that's a good movie to check LFE reproduction.

Some people listen at those levels frequently. That's a sure bet way to go deaf prematurely.
I think maybe that's why my ears are kinda ringing right now. :confused:

musicman1999
05-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Man 105db will leave you asking people to repeat themselves a lot with a lot of exposure.A helicopter taking off runs about 105 db.

bill

pixelthis
05-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Think you nailed it here. I've never owned a piece of electronics that exhibited "burn in" other than speakers, and even tweeters don't exhibit changes in T/S parameters or FR when I test them after a month or so. For woofers I'll notice changes in Fs with even 20 minutes of play time on them. I don't think the hundreds of hours period speaker companies suggest is necessary, but there could be some models out there that take forever to break in. Makes you wonder how they'd ever sound good in store though?

A lot of peeps think that "burn" in is a case of the owner geting used to the gear.
Whatever , I have noticed the effect.
I was listening to PBS jazz (I think) might have been music choice, while shaving,
and the most beautiful sound was coming out of my speakers. Was late to work that day.
This was the first day That I didnt regret buyiung my B&W's:1:

pixelthis
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I understand the natural response of a firebird owner to just CRANK IT when buying a new amp, but listen closely(if you have any hearing left).
Sit down, relax, sip on a bewski, as you jersey types say, play some laid back music,
AND LISTEN.
Play something detailed, play it at moderate listening levels.
Its easy to impress with sheer noise, see how your amp works with real music,
see how well it can discern detail.
Listen to the sound of nothing but someone singing, just a human voice.
Diana krall singing acapella(or however you spell it) is amazing, she does that in
love scenes, sounds like shes in the friggin room.
The human ear is universal in one thing, EVERYBODY can tell an unnatural
human voice.
THE ONE TRUE TEST FOR SPEAKERS IS VOICE REPRODUCTION,
same for amps, same for a combo of both:1:

GMichael
05-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Hey Rich,

Rich?

RICH!

Glad to read that you are enjoying your new amp. I SAID THAT I'M GLAD THAT YOU ARE ENJOYING YOUR AMP.
Hello? Is this thing on? TAP TAP.

TRY TO LISTEN RESPONSIBLY. WE WANT YOU ENJOYING YOUR MUSIC FOR A LIFETIME.

Rich-n-Texas
05-22-2008, 06:49 AM
I understand the natural response of a firebird owner to just CRANK IT when buying a new amp, but listen closely(if you have any hearing left).
Wait'll ya see what comes next. :ihih:

Sit down, relax, sip on a bewski, as you jersey types say, play some laid back music,
AND LISTEN.
Trust me... I'm putting plenty of variety through my speakers. Honestly, SRV's Soul To Soul during some tracks sounded so much different that the songs were almost unrecognizable. I listened carefully to Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, and again, LF reproduction was clear and powerful, his guitar, while loud wasn't at all fatiguing and the violins were (I guess you guys call it) warm and clearly audible. Again though, take it FWIW because I've never before had equipment of this caliber to compare with. I'm logging plenty of hours with plenty of variety and plenty of varying levels of dB's. :yesnod:

Play something detailed, play it at moderate listening levels.
Its easy to impress with sheer noise, see how your amp works with real music,
see how well it can discern detail.
Listen to the sound of nothing but someone singing, just a human voice.
Diana krall singing acapella(or however you spell it) is amazing, she does that in
love scenes, sounds like shes in the friggin room.
I'll just repeat what Kex already said here, at lower levels, the soundfield is full and well detailed. This is a good thing as well.

The human ear is universal in one thing, EVERYBODY can tell an unnatural
human voice.
THE ONE TRUE TEST FOR SPEAKERS IS VOICE REPRODUCTION,
same for amps, same for a combo of both:1:
I'm seriously considering getting a referral from my physician so I can visit an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to see if he has a recomendation for any way I can reduce or even eliminate the HF loss in my left ear. Somebody here previously posted a link to a hearing test (or something like that) that one can take. Heck, if it only costs me an insurance co-pay and maybe a medication prescription, why not?

Rich-n-Texas
05-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Hey Rich,

Rich?

RICH!

Glad to read that you are enjoying your new amp. I SAID THAT I'M GLAD THAT YOU ARE ENJOYING YOUR AMP.

TRY TO LISTEN RESPONSIBLY. WE WANT YOU ENJOYING YOUR MUSIC FOR A LIFETIME.
:lol: This makes me think of that cartoon character who would put a horn up to his/her ear to hear what was being said. Was it Mr. Magoo? eh?

Rich-n-Texas
05-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Man 105db will leave you asking people to repeat themselves a lot with a lot of exposure.A helicopter taking off runs about 105 db.

bill
Hi Bill! Thanks for stopping in. Don't see much of you 'round these parts these days.

I guess I arrived at the same conclusion as you and Mr. P did regarding separates for my B&W's huh? I probably exceeded my original $2K budget by a little but it wasn't because of the receiver and amp. Equipment relocation and cable and wire probably contributed 25% to the overall cost. Not bad if I say so myself. :thumbsup:

Luvin Da Blues
05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Heck, if it only costs me an insurance co-pay and maybe a medication prescription, why not?

You, if anyone here, can afford that Armadillo. :ciappa:

BTW "Blow by Blow" on vinyl is outstanding...Good choice.:3:

musicman1999
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Bill! Thanks for stopping in. Don't see much of you 'round these parts these days.

I guess I arrived at the same conclusion as you and Mr. P did regarding separates for my B&W's huh? I probably exceeded my original $2K budget by a little but it wasn't because of the receiver and amp. Equipment relocation and cable and wire probably contributed 25% to the overall cost. Not bad if I say so myself. :thumbsup:

Hi Rich

Been real busy these days changing jobs and spare time has been at a premium but things are settling down a bit so i should have some more spare time. Glad you like your new amp, i will be looking for a new playmate for my Anthem pre-pro this summer, i would like to have a Sim Audio but that will require some creative financial work. Whats next for you, a pre-pro? Does Emotive sell one as well?

bill

Rich-n-Texas
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I hope all is well on the job front Bill. Things are beginning to get scary down here in the states. Gas prices are starting to have an effect on the economy and I'm seeing more companies starting to *adjust* accordingly.

Emotiva does produce pre-pros, but I'm very happy with my Yamaha and I don't plan on changing anything for hopefully a long time. The next component is either a PS3 or more likely a Berringer Feedback Destroyer. But room treatments are the very next order of business.

Rich-n-Texas
05-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Well well well. The other day while I was looking at my mail, I saw that I'd received a code violation notice from my city that stated my fence needed to be repaired. I called the code enforcement office and was told that a neighbor had complained about the fact that over half of it was missing. I didn't bother to ask which neighbor had complained (irrelevant really) but I did ask if I even had to have a fence to begin with, and she said no. :ihih:

SO, the first order of business will be to personally remove the remaining fence while I'm waiting for the contractor to put a new one up, which will be very easy to do since the posts are pretty much rotted all the way through anyway, and next will be to connect my backyard up to my receiver's... Z-O-N-E 2!!! :9: :7: :6: :16::23: :10: :20: :yikes:

Hello neighbor... :dita:

GMichael
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
And so it begins.

musicman1999
05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
I hope all is well on the job front Bill. Things are beginning to get scary down here in the states. Gas prices are starting to have an effect on the economy and I'm seeing more companies starting to *adjust* accordingly.

Emotiva does produce pre-pros, but I'm very happy with my Yamaha and I don't plan on changing anything for hopefully a long time. The next component is either a PS3 or more likely a Berringer Feedback Destroyer. But room treatments are the very next order of business.

Thanks Rich, all is well, i recently changed from Toyota to Honda so i have a lot to learn. Gas prices are crazy, the Canadian gallon is larger than yours but converting our prices to the us gallon and we are over 5 bucks per US gallon, had a customer just return from Germany and he said gas was near 9 bucks per gallon..
I would not close the door on a pre-pro, a good one can give you sound that a receiver is just not capable of. Oh and good luck with zone 2.

bill

bobsticks
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I called the code enforcement office and was told that a neighbor had complained about the fact that over half of it was missing. I didn't bother to ask which neighbor had complained (irrelevant really) but I did ask if I even had to have a fence to begin with, and she said no. :ihih:

Do you have a neighborhood association? Seriously, I had to do some thug-type shiyat just get the PTA moms to leave me alone. Mebbe something to look into...

Rich-n-Texas
05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Nope. No Home Owners Association in my neighborhood sticks. And I count my blessings every single day. Only the city's codes.

audio amateur
05-25-2008, 03:12 AM
If you think you guys are being shafted by gas prices, we'll you're dead wrong. We've been shafted for a heck of a lot longer, and at 3 times the pain. My parents pay almost 100 bucks on average to fill their nissan's tank (we're talking 15 gallons here). That's also partly because the dollar is so weak now. It's not as detrimental as it would be for someone who was paid in US dollars, but it's still pretty bad for the locals. And this is in Geneva. In the UK it's even a little worse.

basite
05-25-2008, 05:50 AM
If you think you guys are being shafted by gas prices, we'll you're dead wrong. We've been shafted for a heck of a lot longer, and at 3 times the pain. My parents pay almost 100 bucks on average to fill their nissan's tank (we're talking 15 gallons here). That's also partly because the dollar is so weak now. It's not as detrimental as it would be for someone who was paid in US dollars, but it's still pretty bad for the locals. And this is in Geneva. In the UK it's even a little worse.

Here in Belgium, it ain't too good neither :D

atm, we're paying like €1.35 per litre, that's €5.11 per gallon, or $ 8.05 per gallon.

for diesel! other gas is even more expensive...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-25-2008, 06:52 AM
This site is not all inclusive, but can be of some help in finding better gas prices. Just pop in your zip code and it will give you the prices at many of the stations in your areas.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

Rich-n-Texas
05-25-2008, 07:42 AM
GM posting on Sunday??? WTF???

bobsticks
05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
If you think you guys are being shafted by gas prices, we'll you're dead wrong...

Stephen, we're all getting shafted. In Iran gas is 29 cents a gallon, which I suppose would be fine if they were attempting any kind of industrial or infastructure overhaul. It's all about control with same billionare families that own the means of production funding the imams and the madrasahs that teach young, disenfranchised Arabic youth to hate all things Western.

pixelthis
05-25-2008, 11:10 PM
While we are off topic their is this guy named linsey , a missonary to oil pipeline
workers in the seventies, in Alaska.
Claims that they found enough oil on a place called Gunar island to last the US for 200 years. THEY CAPPED IT.
And that they use 48 jet engines to pump natural gas BACK into the ground at the main
drillin site there.
Guy has several videos on youtube.
Meanwhile gas will be 200 a barrel at the end of the year:1:

Luvin Da Blues
05-26-2008, 03:37 AM
Claims that they found enough oil on a place called Gunar island to last the US for 200 years. THEY CAPPED IT.

Is this the same guy that invented a internal combustion engine that runs on water? Sounds like urban legend to me.

Rich-n-Texas
05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I can't find Kex's discussion about the advantages of the BFD in this thread or his LPA-1 thread, but in any event, are you guys talking about this one:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/BehringerFeedbackDestroyer1124P.jpg

This is selling at Parts Express right now for $99.00. That's cheap!

bobsticks
05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Rich,

Rich?

RICH!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iLsDvGlIDh0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iLsDvGlIDh0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That scene still kills me.

kexodusc
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't find Kex's discussion about the advantages of the BFD in this thread or his LPA-1 thread, but in any event, are you guys talking about this one:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/BehringerFeedbackDestroyer1124P.jpg

This is selling at Parts Express right now for $99.00. That's cheap!
Any BFD will do but it's always been in around the $100 range or better if you shop. That looks like it.
It's quite ugly, and does wonders...

pixelthis
05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Is this the same guy that invented a internal combustion engine that runs on water? Sounds like urban legend to me.

Hes wrote a few books and has a five part speech on youtube, names Linsey.
Was a Baptist minister in the 70's tending to oil pipeline workers, got to know some of the execs.
SAYS THAT SINCE OIL IS A PART OF EVERYTHING, that it was decided in the sixties that it would be the medium used to control the world.
READ and watch his stuff and judge for yourself.
There is a guy selling hydrogen kits BTW, electrolosizes water, and uses the hydrogen to
extend the cars gas mileage, such cars get up to 80 mpg.
The science behind this is solid, and hes selling a lot of kits:1:

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Wish I could trade my current 804's for these new 804's: Ain't that purdy. :yesnod:

audio amateur
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
The 803's are even purdier;)

GMichael
05-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Wish I could trade my current 804's for these new 804's: Ain't that purdy. :yesnod:

What's wrong with how yours look? You got the latest pics?

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
They're BLACK! Black as the... wait a minute. I better not say that. Worf's been hangin' 'round these parts recently. :yikes: I'm already in deep doodoo with him and his Romulian friends.

I do think though that at some point I'm going to replace the surrounds with these because the current P6 floorstanders are becoming troublesome from a placement standpoint. I'd buy these CM-1's w/o the stands and put them on shelves.

GMichael
05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Nothing wrong with black, as long as it goes with the rest of your decor. Let's see them in their natural habitat.

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, right now the entire room is apart. I'm in the process of getting the hole in my ceiling repaired so I can go to closing on my mortgage re-fi. The fix will be finished tomorrow and I should have all components in place shortly thereafter.

I predict that some day I'll be finished fussin' with this room and I'll finally be able to just sit down with a hot babe and enjoy the fruits of my labor. :thumbsup:

GMichael
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, right now the entire room is apart. I'm in the process of getting the hole in my ceiling repaired so I can go to closing on my mortgage re-fi. The fix will be finished tomorrow and I should have all components in place shortly thereafter.

I predict that some day I'll be finished fussin' with this room and I'll finally be able to just sit down with a hot babe and enjoy the fruits of my labor. :thumbsup:

Hot babe? You found a hot babe? You been holding out on your AR friends? Does she like audio? Does she like all that extra head room that your new beefy amp gives you?
Come on. Spill the beans Rich guy from Texas.

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Key word being... with "a" hot babe. I did get some good vibes from a cutie in the grocery store last week. :yesnod:

GMichael
05-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Key word being... with "a" hot babe. I did get some good vibes from a cutie in the grocery store last week. :yesnod:
Did you get her name? Her number? An idea of when you'll see her again?
And DOES SHE LIKE MUSIC?!:thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Well no... errr, umm... not exactly, maybe I'll see her again someday.

I'll ask her (hope she doesn't say "I like Country!").

She's got great legs and a tight little kester I'll tell ya!

audio amateur
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
She's got great legs and a tight little kester I'll tell ya!
Looks like you're doing your job:thumbsup: rock on!

pixelthis
05-27-2008, 11:00 PM

YEAH , those holes in the roof really cut down on the loan value.
But theres a downside to everything, you're "babe" wont be so hot when the air conditioning stops escaping from the roof .
AND you have these great speakers and you're STILL not satisfied?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 05:38 AM
The "hole" was in the ceiling dingus. The only heat that was escaping from the hole was from the babe. :rolleyes:

f0rge
05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
i would do very bad things for a set of these:

http://shop.sorimall.co.kr/images/a65303_802D_GRILLEON.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 06:53 AM
I'd have to take out another mortgage on my house but yeah, them's is sweeeeeet!

f0rge
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
I'd have to take out another mortgage on my house but yeah, them's is sweeeeeet!

i've seen them used for like $5000...still a bit more than twice what i paid for my mains...but not completely out of the question!

audio amateur
05-28-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't find them to be very attractive myself. The Nautilus' however....

basite
05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
i would do very bad things for a set of these:

http://shop.sorimall.co.kr/images/a65303_802D_GRILLEON.jpg

I hope you have a big room...

I know some people, who own a pair, and they use them in a small (5m x 4m) room, and it didn't sound that good...

at the dealer they sounded waaaay better though...

yet, my personal taste would lean to a pair of thiels, or a pair of Avalons...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd rather have a pair of these.

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
They look like RGA's Avatar.

basite
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd rather have a pair of these.

is Darth Vader your big idol? :D

nah, seriously, exellent speakers and all eh, but the only chance that they would be in my house would be if I was blind...

Verity audio's are very good speakers too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
That's been mentioned before, Dr Who.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 09:27 AM
is Darth Vader your big idol? :D

nah, seriously, exellent speakers and all eh, but the only chance that they would be in my house would be if I was blind...

Verity audio's are very good speakers too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I love the modern look. Imagine these in a room with clear furniture.

basite
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM

yeah, they'd look better there, but I just don't like them that much (esthetically...)...

just like I don't like wilsons because of that...

these, however I do like, and they also have a reputation of being 'different' :D

http://www.high-end.ch/p_lautsprecher/avalon/av_eidolon_d_gesamt.jpg

and if money were no object at all, kharma would be on my list too...

http://www.avfline.com/an/2006/06/an6611-4.jpg

just not in black :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
They look like RGA's Avatar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9rd8TjLew4

Rich-n-Texas
05-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Ah yes. Now I remember when RGA previously returned for a short stint here there was a discussion about it. I only liked the old Dr. Who though. The one with the crazy hairdo IIRC.

audio amateur
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I'd have to say I definitely like GM's choice. Those ones with the Pass amps are pretty ugly. I don't think we have the same tastes Bert:) I do however like slanted look of the one below.

basite
05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Those ones with the Pass amps are pretty ugly. I don't think we have the same tastes Bert:) I do however like slanted look of the one below.

they are not THE best looking speaker, especially not in that colour, but their sound makes up big time :D

the Kharma's are much better looking indeed, cost is the only reason why we see so very few...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
05-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Why settle for just clear furniture?

http://www.sonicflare.com/_images_FHspeaker2.jpg

http://www.tech-temple.com/wp-content/uploads/get_imagephp.png

kexodusc
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
DUDE! Those look like they should fold down over my gramma's head to dry her hair!!!!

pixelthis
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
i've seen them used for like $5000...still a bit more than twice what i paid for my mains...but not completely out of the question!
How much does a new pair run for?:1:

GMichael
05-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Why settle for just clear furniture?

http://www.sonicflare.com/_images_FHspeaker2.jpg

http://www.tech-temple.com/wp-content/uploads/get_imagephp.png

My ears don't like horns.

basite
05-29-2008, 06:20 AM
How much does a new pair run for?:1:

$12 grand or so...

I find $5k pretty low, maybe the Nautilus 802, but prices I'm seeing are more like 6k or so...

the 802D (the new, version..., looks identical to the Nautilus 802) runs for 8500 (or more) used, and sounds better to my ears...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Unless I'm reading the product descriptions for the B&W lines wrong, the word "Nautilus" now refers to the technology buzz word used in the tweeter build process. "Nautilus 804" used to be a step up model from the "Matrix 804" line which no longer exists. I wonder what's behind all this?

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
BTW, those pictures were posted somewhere else before. They did nothing for me then, and they do nothing for me now. :nonod:

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
This has something to do with Bacardi rum and Sambuca, I'm sure of it! :yesnod:

basite
05-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Unless I'm reading the product descriptions for the B&W lines wrong, the word "Nautilus" now refers to the technology buzz word used in the tweeter build process. "Nautilus 804" used to be a step up model from the "Matrix 804" line which no longer exists. I wonder what's behind all this?

the Nautilus 804 isn't in production anymore too... (N804, N803, N802, ...). Now the S and D series are in the run, 802, 801 and 800 only exist in D (which stands for Diamond, referring to the tweeter, S stands for Standard, also referring to the tweeter (which in the S line is aluminium...))

the Nautilus series and the current series do look the same, but the current series sound much better...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
05-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Oh look! A B&W fanboy! :biggrin5:

basite
05-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Oh look! A B&W fanboy! :biggrin5:

me?

nah :D

I like thiel much better than B&W...

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
This has something to do with Bacardi rum and Sambuca, I'm sure of it! :yesnod:

Nope. Not even close. Oh, by the way...

http://wordie.org/words/mater%20tua%20criceta%20fuit,%20et%20pater%20tuo%2 0redoluit%20bacarum%20sambucus

pixelthis
05-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Time for some B&w 101.
"Nautilus" refers to a NAUTILUS SHELL, which is a spiral.
At the outside larger end you put the speaker.
They make (made?) a speaker that is basically nothing but a large NAUTILUS SHELL.
You need an appointment to listen to one.
You're tweeter sitting on top, with a tapered tube, is a version of this tech, as are the tweeters in my 602s2's and my center.
They get rid of standing waves and improve soundstage dramaticaly
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1729

CHECK IT OUT:1:

pixelthis
05-31-2008, 08:42 PM

SPEAKING of Dr Who, these look like something you'd bury a Dalek in
you will obey
:1:

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 05:32 AM
I keep my amp on 24/7. When I power on my receiver and the relay clicks, I get a pop through the speakers. Don't know which one's to blame here but if I power on the amp last, no pop. Fortunately I have the receiver's inital volume set to -35 so I'm not concerned about it.

kexodusc
06-24-2008, 05:52 AM
I keep my amp on 24/7. When I power on my receiver and the relay clicks, I get a pop through the speakers. Don't know which one's to blame here but if I power on the amp last, no pop. Fortunately I have the receiver's inital volume set to -35 so I'm not concerned about it.
Ha ha...Just the voltage surge through the receiver. Most of my amps do that. Some are quite loud. My Rotel makes a loud pop. Not all preamps will send the voltage surge though, I've owned different Yamaha receivers even that behaved differently.

When you get a BFD, turn it off, then turn it back on while your sub is still on - pictures will fall of the wall!!! More of a depth charge, than a pop...

Rich - spend $3 and buy a small 3.5mm cable - the receiver sends a trigger signal to the amp and powers it on when the receiver fires up. Saves power, eliminates pop.

L.J.
06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
When you get a BFD, turn it off, then turn it back on while your sub is still on - pictures will fall of the wall!!! More of a depth charge, than a pop...

Yeah, I did that even after you warned me. Scared the @#&$ out of me.

Rich - spend $3 and buy a small 3.5mm cable - the receiver sends a trigger signal to the amp and powers it on when the receiver fires up. Saves power, eliminates pop.

Yep. Rich I had the cable just laying around the house. Do some diggin', you may have one too.

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I did that even after you warned me. Scared the @#&$ out of me.
Hmmm... Imagine how it would work on my cats! :ihih:

Yep. Rich I had the cable just laying around the house. Do some diggin', you may have one too.
I probably do, and yes, I'll connect it up.

BTW, I joined Home Theater Shack and have started educating myself on the BFD and accompanying REW s/w. Some of you guys own the recommended DVE test disk IIRC but I may just use the one I got from S&V magazine. I haven't poked around too much over there yet but I wonder what a "Waterfall" diagram looks like? :confused5:

kexodusc
06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Hmmm... Imagine how it would work on my cats! :ihih:

I probably do, and yes, I'll connect it up.

BTW, I joined Home Theater Shack and have started educating myself on the BFD and accompanying REW s/w. Some of you guys own the recommended DVE test disk IIRC but I may just use the one I got from S&V magazine. I haven't poked around too much over there yet but I wonder what a "Waterfall" diagram looks like? :confused5:
I have had mixed results with the REW method. I honestly prefer the ol' test tone and SPL meter method myself. Takes longer and is a more iterative process, but that's just me.
You'll accomplish 90% of the benefit with just a few filters anyway so either way is fine.

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 08:57 AM
And to be sure a BFD would be of benefit to me let me take a minute to refresh eveyone on my LFE situation. If you'll recall, my issue was that in three or four locations where I'd placed my sub, I was hearing very little low frequency sound output during, to a smaller extent movies with surround sound audio but to a larger extent CD's & concert DVD's with DD and/or DTS tracks. It was pointed out that the cause was probably "room modes" and "standing waves" which could be treated with acoustic panels. I think the idea there was to cut down on reflections of the higher frequencies which were masking the LFE. Does that sound about right?

When people mention "peaks and nulls" they're talking about dB level spikes and dips in the low frequency's response curve, correct?

So, where should my focus be... A. Treating the modes and waves, B. The peaks and nulls or C. Both, and will the BFD be the right tool in the event the answer is #C?

(Not shown: D. It's not that simple, and E. I'm waaaaay over-complicating things)

kexodusc
06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
And to be sure a BFD would be of benefit to me let me take a minute to refresh eveyone on my LFE situation. If you'll recall, my issue was that in three or four locations where I'd placed my sub, I was hearing very little low frequency sound output during, to a smaller extent movies with surround sound audio but to a larger extent CD's & concert DVD's with DD and/or DTS tracks.
Stop...do you get satisfactory bass with some sources, but not others? If you do, then that suggests a setting problem.

It was pointed out that the cause was probably "room modes" and "standing waves" which could be treated with acoustic panels. I think the idea there was to cut down on reflections of the higher frequencies which were masking the LFE. Does that sound about right?
Errr...no. Room modes/standing waves etc affect bass, but treating the higher frequencies alone will not help the bass very much, not to the extent I believe you are looking for at least.
Two separate treatments.

When people mention "peaks and nulls" they're talking about dB level spikes and dips in the low frequency's response curve, correct? Yep, peak = loud spike, dip = null (well, actually the dip is probably caused by a null, but not necessarily...let's keep it simple though)

So, where should my focus be... A. Treating the modes and waves, B. The peaks and nulls or C. Both, and will the BFD be the right tool in the event the answer is #C
Room treatments will attack the modes and standing waves - but that will be costly and complex. The BFD just equalizes the frequencies as measured from your listening position so its flat where you sit - this isn't great for higher frequencies, but because of the ear's insensitivity to distortion at low bass frequencies we can easily get away with it using the BFD. It won't solve the peaks and nulls caused by your room's acoustics, but it will flatten them at the listening position. A short cut basically.

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Stop...do you get satisfactory bass with some sources, but not others? If you do, then that suggests a setting problem.
Right now, my primary source component (STB notwithstanding) is my DVD changer which is probably also my weakest link. Like GM, I'm listening to all source material with the receiver set to Straight. Now that I have the amp, I get good bass response at my listening position with DVD's containing DTS (which so far have almost all been 48Khz/768Kbps or higher), through my mains. LFE level at the listening position... not so good but if I walk outside of the speaker perimiter (for lack of a better term) LFE is much more audible. When watching standard DVD movies, the LFE at the listening position is marginally better than when listening to a music CD, with LFE (Straight mode 2 channel PCM) being negligable. GM pointed out that the sub is in the picture in this mode.

Errr...no. Room modes/standing waves etc affect bass, but treating the higher frequencies alone will not help the bass very much, not to the extent I believe you are looking for at least.
Two separate treatments.
Commited to memory! (I hope)

Yep, peak = loud spike, dip = null (well, actually the dip is probably caused by a null, but not necessarily...let's keep it simple though)
With that being the case, when I was looking at the sub's response curve during an auto-eq session, it looked pretty nasty. Maybe I should be adjusting the PEQ at the receiver for the sub first, before going any further???

Room treatments will attack the modes and standing waves - but that will be costly and complex. The BFD just equalizes the frequencies as measured from your listening position so its flat where you sit - this isn't great for higher frequencies, but because of the ear's insensitivity to distortion at low bass frequencies we can easily get away with it using the BFD. It won't solve the peaks and nulls caused by your room's acoustics, but it will flatten them at the listening position. A short cut basically.
Well, the panels are already paid for (and here's where I sound like a broken record) so I really should finish and mount them. Try to describe to me in terms I might understand what exactly it is that I'm hearing at my listening position when I have many and extreme dB level peaks & nulls?

kexodusc
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Right now, my primary source component (STB notwithstanding) is my DVD changer which is probably also my weakest link. Like GM, I'm listening to all source material with the receiver set to Straight. Now that I have the amp, I get good bass response at my listening position with DVD's containing DTS (which so far have almost all been 48Khz/768Kbps or higher), through my mains. LFE level at the listening position... not so good but if I walk outside of the speaker perimiter (for lack of a better term) LFE is much more audible. When watching standard DVD movies, the LFE at the listening position is marginally better than when listening to a music CD, with LFE (Straight mode 2 channel PCM) being negligable. GM pointed out that the sub is in the picture in this mode.
Sounds like a setting/placement problem. What happens if you turn the sub's volume up? Have dabbled with the phase knob?

With that being the case, when I was looking at the sub's response curve during an auto-eq session, it looked pretty nasty. Maybe I should be adjusting the PEQ at the receiver for the sub first, before going any further??? I wouldn't do it. Most auto-eq thingy's don't do a good job at low frequencies.

Well, the panels are already paid for (and here's where I sound like a broken record) so I really should finish and mount them. Try to describe to me in terms I might understand what exactly it is that I'm hearing at my listening position when I have many and extreme dB level peaks & nulls?
Could be a number of things. In my setup, there were a few frequencies of bass that were loud or louder than the average volume, so an explosion would cause some cool boom, but then was a lot of other frequencies that were much lower in volume - earthquakes wouldn't rumble as much, higher bass frequencies were sucked out. More noticeable on music/soundtracks.
If you set the bass you hear to match speaker level, you are probably matching a peak to the eq'd speakers. So the loudest bass is only just as loud as it is supposed to be. Everything below the top of the peak is getting shortchanged.

Rich-n-Texas
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a setting/placement problem. What happens if you turn the sub's volume up? Have dabbled with the phase knob?
I have increased the volume but I can't tell you under which of the conditions I mentioned that I made level changes, and yes, I've toggled the phase switch on the sub's amp with no change.

I wouldn't do it. Most auto-eq thingy's don't do a good job at low frequencies.
Okay. 'Nuff said.

Could be a number of things. In my setup, there were a few frequencies of bass that were loud or louder than the average volume, so an explosion would cause some cool boom, but then was a lot of other frequencies that were much lower in volume - earthquakes wouldn't rumble as much, higher bass frequencies were sucked out. More noticeable on music/soundtracks.
Maybe I should outright buy U-571. That way I'll have a least one constant to work with and as well, be entertained.

If you set the bass you hear to match speaker level, you are probably matching a peak to the eq'd speakers. So the loudest bass is only just as loud as it is supposed to be. Everything below the top of the peak is getting shortchanged.
You just made a key point here I think. I set the sub using a Simpson 899 Sound Level meter and because the needle can deflect as much as, I'd say 3 dB in either direction with the 70 dB mark as a reference (C weighting, slow impulse), it's almost impossible to know if I've set the level correctly.

f0rge
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
i hate rooms.

i get drastically different bass depending on where i stand in my room. luckily i get about 90% in my listening area.

unfortunately for me, having powered towers makes mucking around with placement next to impossible.

kexodusc
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I have increased the volume but I can't tell you under which of the conditions I mentioned that I made level changes, and yes, I've toggled the phase switch on the sub's amp with no change.

Okay. 'Nuff said.

Maybe I should outright buy U-571. That way I'll have a least one constant to work with and as well, be entertained.

You just made a key point here I think. I set the sub using a Simpson 899 Sound Level meter and because the needle can deflect as much as, I'd say 3 dB in either direction with the 70 dB mark as a reference (C weighting, slow impulse), it's almost impossible to know if I've set the level correctly.
Rich, your SPL meter could be giving you bad readings too - depending on the low frequency used, the SPL meter may cease to provide accurate readings. The ever popular radio shack SPL meters are great because there are correction value tables that people have been maintaining for years that compensate the for the low frequency inaccuracies.

So 70 dB could really be 62 dB, or it could be 74 dB? At least with the Radio Shack meters you can apply the corrections to get a closer number. With other SPL meters, it's best to know the accuracy and frequency limits.

As far as bouncing needles - don't worry about that...if you can eyeball the same general area, you're pretty darn close.

pixelthis
06-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Heres an idea, rich...unplug the sub.
B&W speakers are famous for their bass.
I still havent gotten a plate amp for my sub, and dont miss it, really.
DECENT stereo bass is really quite nice.
SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING.
I dont miss trying to configure a cantankerous sub to give good sound, instead of booming
and distortion:1:

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Turn the sub into an end table? Or plant stand? Naaaa. :nonod:

Now that I've got something that can drive them, I agree.

Yeah but I'm using my speakers in a surround sound environment a good 40% of the time. The flick U-571 should be in the mailbox when I get home tonite and I'm going to do some listening tests with it.

I dont miss trying to configure a cantankerous sub to give good sound, instead of booming
When I get my LFE response tweaked to where I can knock the assclown who comes by my house in his pickup truck with the sub so loud it rattles my coffee mugs, off the road then I'll be happy.

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Rich, your SPL meter could be giving you bad readings too - depending on the low frequency used, the SPL meter may cease to provide accurate readings.
WHAT?!?!? :cryin:
I've only used the tone generated by the receiver up to this point. I haven't really played around with the test disk I have but I guess that should be the next order of business. I also have the option of taking home a calibrated frequency generator. An engineer and I figured out the correct line voltage (1.2 volts IIRC) to inject into the line-in at the sub.

The ever popular radio shack SPL meters are great because there are correction value tables that people have been maintaining for years that compensate the for the low frequency inaccuracies.
Well, the impression I got over at The Shack was that even with the availability of the cal files, the complaint was that no two RS SPL meters have the same inaccuracies.

So 70 dB could really be 62 dB, or it could be 74 dB? At least with the Radio Shack meters you can apply the corrections to get a closer number. With other SPL meters, it's best to know the accuracy and frequency limits.
No, the overall range was 6 dB, about 3dB on either side of the 70 dB mark. That's just from memory though and again, with using the receiver's tone generator.

As far as bouncing needles - don't worry about that...if you can eyeball the same general area, you're pretty darn close.
Don't know what you mean here. General area = the 70 dB mark?

kexodusc
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
WHAT?!?!? :cryin:
I've only used the tone generated by the receiver up to this point. I haven't really played around with the test disk I have but I guess that should be the next order of business. I also have the option of taking home a calibrated frequency generator. An engineer and I figured out the correct line voltage (1.2 volts IIRC) to inject into the line-in at the sub. Test disc and SPL meter is fine, but a frequency generator might be fun to play with.

Well, the impression I got over at The Shack was that even with the availability of the cal files, the complaint was that no two RS SPL meters have the same inaccuracies. No two SPL meters anywhere will measure perfectly the same, but the Rat Shack meters are consistently inconsistent in each production batch. They'll have the same over reporting/under reporting frequencies in other words, give or take a bit. Close enough. I have a Galaxy Audio SPL meter that costs a few hundred bucks - it's super accurate, and my Rat Shack meter + correction values are very close with the exception of between 110-120 Hz. 1-2 dB tops. Your SPL meter could be fine, we just don't know.

No, the overall range was 6 dB, about 3dB on either side of the 70 dB mark. That's just from memory though and again, with using the receiver's tone generator. I meant that the RS meter might read 70 dB when really it's only 64 dB. Not the range of the needle.

Don't know what you mean here. General area = the 70 dB mark?
Disregard that comment, think I misunderstood what you were saying earlier...I don't want to add to the confusion.

basite
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

maybe you could learn how to set the sub up correctly, right?

even though B&W is 'famous for their bass' (I prefer other bass, personally...), they CAN NOT & WILL NOT be able to give the full experience of a big, heavy exlosion (see transformers or so) in H/T. that's why you need a sub.

saying a sub brings boominess & disortion & too much bass is pure nonsense. This would apply to inexperienced people, who don't know how to properly set up a sub.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Feeling a little chippy today Bert? :smilewinkgrin:

pixelthis
06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Turn the sub into an end table? Or plant stand? Naaaa. :nonod:

Now that I've got something that can drive them, I agree.

Yeah but I'm using my speakers in a surround sound environment a good 40% of the time. The flick U-571 should be in the mailbox when I get home tonite and I'm going to do some listening tests with it.

When I get my LFE response tweaked to where I can knock the assclown who comes by my house in his pickup truck with the sub so loud it rattles my coffee mugs, off the road then I'll be happy.

He's MAD I tell you...MAD :1:

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Imagine how many friends you'd make pix if, instead of saying anything you only posted pictures.:1:

pixelthis
06-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Imagine how many friends you'd make pix if, instead of saying anything you only posted pictures.:1:

You mean like you? :1:

f0rge
06-30-2008, 07:02 AM
very niiice, how much?

pixelthis
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
very niiice, how much?

For just one or the matched set ?
(the one in the middle is free):1:

GMichael
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
For just one or the matched set ?
(the one in the middle is free):1:

What are you doing out in the middle of the day? Don't you need your sleep?

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Yeah pix, "wake up and go to sleep!" :rolleyes:

GMichael
07-02-2008, 07:26 AM
My dad had a nurse who used to wake him up at 3 AM every night to give him a sleeping pill.

basite
07-02-2008, 08:31 AM
My dad had a nurse who used to wake him up at 3 AM every night to give him a sleeping pill.

http://slapfish.com/dedication/dedication0400.jpg

a good example of it :D

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
:lol:

So who gave pix the job of antagonist here on our forums? :sosp:

GMichael
07-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Self employed

Rich-n-Texas
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Just another FYI... the LPA-1 has been officially discontinued. The replacement 7.1 amp is the UPA-7 @ $649.00

pixelthis
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
What are you doing out in the middle of the day? Don't you need your sleep?

This global warming has me just worried to death:1:

pixelthis
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
:lol:

So who gave pix the job of antagonist here on our forums? :sosp:

Well, since they let you go...
really tho, does stating unpleasant truth, trying to get a debate going, informing people,
does that make you an antagonist?
I AM SUCH A NICE GUY, REALLY :1:

GMichael
07-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Love the yellow eyes. But that smile seems forced.

Rich-n-Texas
07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Whoever made your dentures should be shot!

pixelthis
07-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Whoever made your dentures should be shot!

DENTURES???
I am really not that old you know :1:

Rich-n-Texas
11-03-2008, 01:19 PM
To get this back on track, sorta, I've done some furniture re-arranging in the room and I'm in the process of hanging four panels, two of which are ATS designer "Coffee Series" panels that I purchased while ATS was offering free shipping. I have to say that, at least with concert DVD's, bass response is improving. I was watching Peter Gabriel's "Growing Up" concert DVD, and the center channel level seemed low. Why would that be, and I don't think it was because I had louder LFE output. When I switched LFE output from Both to Sub Only there was no noticeable difference in LFE or center channel levels. Also, the brightness I was hearing when playing CD's through the PS3 seems to have been tamed a bit. I will still be purchasing the BFD, and maybe sooner than Christmas.

pixelthis
11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
WELL, you know , Rich, almost all of that emotiva is "outsourced"
and according to Wooch that makes for a really crappy product.

THEY HAVE TO DIG DIRT OUTTA THE GROUND, FORGE THE PARTS,
design it from the ground up and build everything themselves.
AND deliver it by their own shipping company.
CAN'T HAVE ANY OF THAT "outsourcing" going on you know.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 05:47 AM
"To each his own"

"It is what it is"

Just trying to make conversation.

kexodusc
11-04-2008, 05:59 AM
I was watching Peter Gabriel's "Growing Up" concert DVD, and the center channel level seemed low. Why would that be, and I don't think it was because I had louder LFE output. When I switched LFE output from Both to Sub Only there was no noticeable difference in LFE or center channel levels. Also, the brightness I was hearing when playing CD's through the PS3 seems to have been tamed a bit. I will still be purchasing the BFD, and maybe sooner than Christmas.

How did outsourcing get into this thread? Did Pix get lost and post in the wrong thread again? :lol: Pix, buddy - outsourcing ain't all bad if it's done right - but for the record, Emotiva does most of the production in house (though I'm sure like most companies, they dont' cast their own machine screws, nuts, bolts, wires, wind their own inductors, etc...that's best left to specialty companies anyway).

Anyway, back OT....Rich the above could be the mix job on the DVD (most likely). If you have an SPL meter or used the YPAO auto cal and the center channel is SPL matched to the rest of the speakers, are sure the center is calibrated, then that's all that's left really. Of course, if you put in a few new sound absorbers, you might have diminished some of the sound reflection from the center, and the volume at the listening spot could be a bit lower now, then when you originally calibrated it. I noticed in my old home that a few panels on the side really skewed the midrange SPL from my front right speaker - but not the left - the room was shaped differently on that side so less reflection anyway. This stuff can be fussy.

Another possibility - A lot of multi-channel mixes for music don't even use the center channel - a lot of studio engineers prefer keeping the front stereo pair solely repsonsible for the front soundstage. I have more than a few concert DVD's, DVD-A's, and SACD's like that. Walk up to it and listen to the center to see if it's even being used.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
No, I haven't done a recal of speaker levels since re-arranging furniture and placing two 2' x 4' panels at approximately the first reflection point of the right main. A fabric covered loveseat now sits at about the same location as the panels on the left side, and I put the valence for the drapes behind the loveseat back up. These all, in my head, seem to have made a difference in what I hear. Before I made these changes, the center channel level was higher when playing the same DVD. A Ratshack SPL meter is in my shopping cart. Might as well buy one now because who knows what state this country is going to be in tomorrow.

GMichael
11-04-2008, 07:12 AM

You are totally missing the point Wooch is trying to get through to you. Outsourcing means that you loose a level of control and consistency. One model may turn out great while the next is not so hot. Emotiva seems to make great amps but falls a little short with their processors so far.

Outsourcing does not equal crap. Just inconsistency.

L.J.
11-04-2008, 07:19 AM
No, I haven't done a recal of speaker levels since re-arranging furniture and placing two 2' x 4' panels at approximately the first reflection point of the right main. A fabric covered loveseat now sits at about the same location as the panels on the left side, and I put the valence for the drapes behind the loveseat back up. These all, in my head, seem to have made a difference in what I hear. Before I made these changes, the center channel level was higher when playing the same DVD. A Ratshack SPL meter is in my shopping cart. Might as well buy one now because who knows what state this country is going to be in tomorrow.

Didn't I tell you to buy one of those a long time ago. Rich, what are we gonna do with you :p

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 07:35 AM
GM, L.J.'s picking on me. :cryin:

I was using a Simpson meter I brought home from work previously, but Kex pointed out some potential issues when using it for low frequency measurements. I'm going to need an SPL meter when I start in with the BFD right, so now's the time. I also mentioned that I wanted to get the 8 ATS panels I bought hung, and I was counting on you L.J. to show me some updated pics of your HT room for reference. :ciappa:

GMichael
11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
GM, L.J.'s picking on me. :cryin:

:

Don't make me turn this website around.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 08:58 AM
BTW, what kind of cabling do I need in order to integrate the BFD into my system (probably already been mentioned but I can't find the answer here)? The BFD tech specs indicate XLR & TRS connectors so I assume I'm going to have to do some adapting, correct?

L.J.
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
BTW, what kind of cabling do I need in order to integrate the BFD into my system (probably already been mentioned but I can't find the answer here)? The BFD tech specs indicate XLR & TRS connectors so I assume I'm going to have to do some adapting, correct?

Yup. BTW, you probably should go on over to HT shack and read the BFD guide a couple of times to get familiar with it.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I have that page bookmarked at home. However, isn't that why you and Kex are here? :ihih:

Let's get those mailboxes cleaned up guys! :thumbsup:

kexodusc
11-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I have that page bookmarked at home. However, isn't that why you and Kex are here? :ihih:

Let's get those mailboxes cleaned up guys! :thumbsup:
Yeah, you'll probably need some 1/4" to RCA cables. I've used the adaptors and cables, and didn't notice any difference if you choose to just stick with an RCA to 1/4" adaptor instead of a whole cable. Up to you.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Actually I do have one adapter at home.

Ya know, I have yet to find one picture of the BFD's backpanel.

L.J.
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Parts Express got pics.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
So does HTshack, Beringer and Amazon. No backpanel pics. BTW, can those mounting ears be removed?

L.J.
11-04-2008, 01:25 PM
So does HTshack, Beringer and Amazon. No backpanel pics. BTW, can those mounting ears be removed?

Rich Rich Rich...What are we gonna do with you :out:

Look at this one. (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-657) It's pretty much the same.

No, I think the rack mounting ears need to stay on. It's freakin' ugly....I keep mine in a closed cabinet :thumbsup:

L.J.
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I was counting on you L.J. to show me some updated pics of your HT room for reference. :ciappa:

I'm getting around to it. Still adding some....ummm....stuff to my "HT room". Pics will be coming soon :16:

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Stuff? Hmmm...

Yeah, my BFD will be in the audio cabinet behind a closed door along with my ugly amp. :yesnod:

pixelthis
11-05-2008, 01:09 AM
You are totally missing the point Wooch is trying to get through to you. Outsourcing means that you loose a level of control and consistency. One model may turn out great while the next is not so hot. Emotiva seems to make great amps but falls a little short with their processors so far.

Outsourcing does not equal crap. Just inconsistency.

Well, he sayss it equals crap, and my sarcasm was just making a point.
AS for the ratshack meter, you shouldnt be allowed a HT without
one, IMHO.
The diff it made in MY system was nothing short of amazing, the best
30 bucks you can spend(unless its a gift like mine was):1:

GMichael
11-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Well, he sayss it equals crap, and my sarcasm was just making a point.
AS for the ratshack meter, you shouldnt be allowed a HT without
one, IMHO.
The diff it made in MY system was nothing short of amazing, the best
30 bucks you can spend(unless its a gift like mine was):1:

I don't mind your sarcasm Pixie. It brightens up the place. But my point is that Wooch didn't say that it equals crap. Only that it equals a lack of consistency. Some models may be great while other are not because the weren't designed and built by the same company.

I do have a Rat Shacker. It too lacks consistency, but it's better than not having one. The good ones cost WAY too much. My Rives CD is supposed to compensate for it, but it's not perfect either.

pixelthis
11-06-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't mind your sarcasm Pixie. It brightens up the place. But my point is that Wooch didn't say that it equals crap. Only that it equals a lack of consistency. Some models may be great while other are not because the weren't designed and built by the same company.

I do have a Rat Shacker. It too lacks consistency, but it's better than not having one. The good ones cost WAY too much. My Rives CD is supposed to compensate for it, but it's not perfect either.

A "ratshacker" what?
You do realise that ratshack is almost always rebadged higher end gear
dont you?
Saw a five disc player of theirs one day, it was a relabeled Yamahaha.:1:

GMichael
11-06-2008, 06:08 AM
A "ratshacker" what?
You do realise that ratshack is almost always rebadged higher end gear
dont you?
Saw a five disc player of theirs one day, it was a relabeled Yamahaha.:1:

A Ratshacker db meter. You know, what you were talking about?
Wasn't putting down ratshack, just using the same name you did so that it wouldn't throw you off. Didn't work though.
Maybe you mean that a Yamaha was relabeled as a ratshack. That would make more sense.

Rich-n-Texas
11-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Wasn't putting down ratshack, just using the same name you did so that it wouldn't throw you off. Didn't work though.
Maybe you mean that a Yamaha was relabeled as a ratshack. That would make more sense.
Hey everybody. GM's trying to reason with pixie. :skep: Somebody throw a bucket of water on him!
(That was some funny chit GM :lol: )

pixelthis
11-07-2008, 12:50 AM

WHAT I said, it was a "relabeled" yamaha.
Little early to be hittin the sauce isnt it?:1:

pixelthis
11-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey everybody. GM's trying to reason with pixie. :skep: Somebody throw a bucket of water on him!
(That was some funny chit GM :lol: )

You are the only one I have trouble "reasoning" with.
NOT MY FAULT that I didnt take "arrogant yankee" in
high school, it was an elective, and all of the chics in the class were
butt fugly(see below):1:

Rich-n-Texas
11-07-2008, 05:58 AM
High schools in Ala? Are you SURE about that?:idea:

GMichael
11-07-2008, 06:04 AM
You are not the only one I have trouble "reasoning" with.:

Is there anyone who does not fit into this category for you?

Rich-n-Texas
11-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Ironical ain't it?

Rich-n-Texas
11-11-2008, 09:57 AM
My RS SPL meter arrived on Saturday (very fast shipment from Radio Shack), but alas, I could not produce a 9v battery.

Man, this meter is tiny. The Simpson meter I was using was man-size where this one would fit into a woman's pocketbook. It's petite. :rolleyes5:

Nevertheless I'll start doing some tweaking tonite.

BTW, I think I bought the wrong size adapters for the BFD. :mad2:

Rich-n-Texas
11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
This just in...

"Dear Customers and Friends,

Christmas comes early at Emotiva!

We are announcing our Holiday Sale a little early this year. Check out our site on November 15th for the updated sale prices.

We are featuring the following:

xpa-2 $699.00
xpa-5 $699.00

xpa-3 $599.00
upa-7 $599.00

erm-1 $199.00
erd-1 $249.00 pair

ALONG WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!!

These are the lowest prices EVER on all of our amplifiers and speakers. Hurry while supplies last.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Cathy Laufman
Emotiva Audio
106 Mission Court Suite 101
Franklin, TN 37067
615 771-1224
FAX 615 771-1128"

www.emotiva.com (http://www.emotiva.com/)

pixelthis
11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll Pass.:1:

pixelthis
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
High schools in Ala? Are you SURE about that?:idea:

yep!
See what you missed out on living in Jersey?
Of course there was plenty of this:1:

RoadRunner6
11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Christmas comes early at Emotiva! We are announcing our Holiday Sale a little early this year. Check out our site on November 15th for the updated sale prices.

xpa-5 $699.00
upa-7 $599.00

ALONG WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!!

Thanks much Rich. I have had my eyes on the UPA-7 and XPA-5 for several weeks now. I have spent a lot of time at the Emotiva site and their forum. This firms it up for me and I'll go with the XPA-5, that's $100 less and still the free shipping. I decided I won't ever go to 7.1 in my condo so the extra power will be a plus if I go to lower sensitivity speakers. My only hesitation was a few reliability problems on the XPA series that I read about in other forums. However, I hope by now they have any issues worked out. The extra $100 will help if I ever have to ship it back for repair.

I am also going to consider the UMC-1 or XMC-1 pre/pro when the final specs and prices come out.

RR6 :biggrin5: :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 04:39 AM
I'll Pass.:1:
WTF cares?

kexodusc
11-14-2008, 04:53 AM
Good prices on some solid gear. I'm tempted to upgrade again, but the LPA-1 is far more power than I need now so meh...

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks much Rich. I have had my eyes on the UPA-7 and XPA-5 for several weeks now. I have spent a lot of time at the Emotiva site and their forum. This firms it up for me and I'll go with the XPA-5, that's $100 less and still the free shipping. I decided I won't ever go to 7.1 in my condo so the extra power will be a plus if I go to lower sensitivity speakers. My only hesitation was a few reliability problems on the XPA series that I read about in other forums. However, I hope by now they have any issues worked out. The extra $100 will help if I ever have to ship it back for repair.

I am also going to consider the UMC-1 or XMC-1 pre/pro when the final specs and prices come out.

RR6 :biggrin5: :biggrin5:
You're making good choices RR6. I think you'll find a group of people at Emotiva who'll take good care of you before and after you become an owner of their products. Free shipping on a 40 - 50 lb item is nothing to sneeze at either. My LPA-1 has been sitting at the bottom of my audio cabinet for 5 - 6 months now without a peep. Every once-in-a-while when I'm pushing some serious dB's I check the heat level of the amp and it still doesn't show the slightest amount of strain, and that's at an impedance as low as 2 ohms at the mains. Outta sight, outta mind as far as I'm concerned. And I guess that's why I don't spend much time on their forums... nothing to question or complain about. I've already described the improvement in performance my system has achieved, and that credit goes to Kex for pointing me at Emotiva. Enjoy you new toy.

GMichael
11-14-2008, 06:01 AM
You're making good choices RR6. I think you'll find a group of people at Emotiva who'll take good care of you before and after you become an owner of their products. Free shipping on a 40 - 50 lb item is nothing to sneeze at either. My LPA-1 has been sitting at the bottom of my audio cabinet for 5 - 6 months now without a peep. Every once-in-a-while when I'm pushing some serious dB's I check the heat level of the amp and it still doesn't show the slightest amount of strain, and that's at an impedance as low as 2 ohms at the mains. Outta sight, outta mind as far as I'm concerned. And I guess that's why I don't spend much time on their forums... nothing to question or complain about. I've already described the improvement in performance my system has achieved, and that credit goes to Kex for pointing me at Emotiva. Enjoy you new toy.

Glad to see that you are enjoying that amp. You sure are racking up the new toys lately. New receiver, new amp, room acoustics, a PS/3, DB meter & a BFD? Am I leaving anything out? Tell me, did you ever fix that fence?

L.J.
11-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Glad to see that you are enjoying that amp. You sure are racking up the new toys lately. New receiver, new amp, room acoustics, a PS/3, DB meter & a BFD? Am I leaving anything out? Tell me, did you ever fix that fence?

Hahahaha :lol:

OK, glad I sat my coffee down :frown2:

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 06:54 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence006.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence006.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence005.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence005.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence002.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence002.jpg)

Okay smartypants? :prrr: And I don't own a BFD............................................... yet!!!

GMichael
11-14-2008, 06:57 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence006.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence006.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence005.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence005.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/th_CedarFence002.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/House%20Pictures/?action=view&current=CedarFence002.jpg)

Okay smartypants? :prrr: And I don't own a BFD............................................... yet!!!

Nice job. What color are you going with?

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Hahahaha :lol:

OK, glad I sat my coffee down :frown2:
Yeah. Okay. Blame L.J. for the receiver, the PS3, and the acoustic panels.:incazzato:

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Nice job. What color are you going with?
Those pictures were taken when the fence was first put up. It was painted (and this is the ONLY time you'll see me use this word as a positive thing) liberally with a dark brown (forget the color's name) protective oil based stain. Big monkey offa my back when this was completed. :yesnod:

L.J.
11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah. Okay. Blame L.J. for the receiver, the PS3, and the acoustic panels.:incazzato:

All major system improvements if you ask me :out:

BTW, some of those net stations sound pretty good. I love that I have so many channels to choose from. Cable only gives me 1 channels of smooth jazz. Net gives me like 240 :yikes:

Did you know you could bookmark your favorite stations for easy access later on. Hold down "title" until bookmark pops up at the bottom of the screen.

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, I've found a few internet radio stations I like and have bookmarked them. Some stations I've browsed aren't commercial free so they get skipped. And I agree, some stations do sound quite good all things considered.

I am still keeping the possibility of subbing to XM in the back of my mind, though I don't think the two merged companies have come up with new subscription packages yet.

Oh and BTW, I've pretty much gotten the hang of using the Receiver Manager s/w to navigate through the internet radio stations, so the TV stays off while listening.

L.J.
11-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Yes, I've found a few internet radio stations I like and have bookmarked them. Some stations I've browsed aren't commercial free so they get skipped. And I agree, some stations do sound quite good all things considered.

I am still keeping the possibility of subbing to XM in the back of my mind, though I don't think the two merged companies have come up with new subscription packages yet.

Oh and BTW, I've pretty much gotten the hang of using the Receiver Manager s/w to navigate through the internet radio stations, so the TV stays off while listening.

Your PC has to be connected directly to your AVR right? How do you have it hooked up? Geez, I should remember this, I think I'm the one that told you about it. I gotta lay off the booze :frown2:

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, the laptop is connected directly to the receiver via the RS-232 ports. You do still have the software right? I don't think it's available for download anymore, but I could be wrong.

I gotta lay off the booze...
I'm very disappointed to see that. :thumbsdown:

L.J.
11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes, the laptop is connected directly to the receiver via the RS-232 ports. You do still have the software right? I don't think it's available for download anymore, but I could be wrong.

I'm very disappointed to see that. :thumbsdown:

Come on man I was just joking. Although I did over do it a little last weekend. I was at a party though, fully stock bar and the drinks were feakin' strong. The pressure.....I gave in to the pressure...:biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
11-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll be making an appereance in the New Beer Thread shortly. Cartman still thinks I'm going to send him a case of Texas brewed Shiner Back. That boyyyy is simply clueless. :nonod:

(snicker snicker)