Magnepan Recommended Amps - at least my picks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan Recommended Amps - at least my picks

jammin2night
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Lots of interesting threads here..... I've only had a few maggies.... MMG's, then on lend 2.8's for 6+ months and now I live with 1.6QR's... which I've had since thier introduction.

I've found that you need a strong amplifier capable of handling wider impeadance loads these speakers can present. I've tried too many to mention (freinds wanting to see what their amplifer sounded like ;-) ).

I would not suggest any 8 OHM only amplifier. My best success has been with the Rotel RB-990BX (single or bi-amped - this is a brute affordable amp), MacIntosh MC-2255, and the old but mellow MC-2500 (500 Watt/Channel RMS) which I currently drive the 1.6QR's with (Mac's tapped at 4 Ohms).

I have never blown a fuse with any amp, and the MC-2500 has seen the limit light lite on occasion.

My over the top cobination is having two (because I fell into a deal - and they barely get drivin) JBL-B460 subs, now being driving by a single RB-990BX, via a Heathkit AD-1702 crossover. This is my Maggie combo - it's just not right but my better half lends me the room for all the "music stuff" ;-)

Keeping the drive low to the subs is most pleasing. They will make various things fall down if driven hard - JPL rate them at 600W/8ohms.... a piece. and yes I bought a picture frame or three.

I have an AV setup... HK AVR8000 - B&W CDM-CNT, and 2x B&W CDMZ + ASW 1000 with an Optima H79 projector - NO SURROUND ( Yep I need to work on it ) but it looks and sounds great for video.

While I love the B&W's for video they don't touch the Maggies for stage....

Enjoy.

Feanor
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Lots of interesting threads here..... I've only had a few maggies.... MMG's, then on lend 2.8's for 6+ months and now I live with 1.6QR's... which I've had since thier introduction.

I've found that you need a strong amplifier capable of handling wider impeadance loads these speakers can present. I've tried too many to mention (freinds wanting to see what their amplifer sounded like ;-) ).

Enjoy.

Here's what I'd like for my own Magneplanar 1.6QR's: a Pass Labs XA100.5 (http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/product%20manuals/xa100.5_om.pdf) Pure Class A, 200 wpc @4 ohms.

Edit: Opps! the picture is actually an XA30.5; the XA100.5 is the same only a llttle taller.

audio amateur
05-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Enjoy.
Do you play the maggies full range? or do you high-pass them?

audio amateur
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Here's what I'd like for my own Magneplanar 1.6QR's: a Pass Labs XA100.5 (http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/product%20manuals/xa100.5_om.pdf) Pure Class A, 200 wpc @4 ohms.

Edit: Opps! the picture is actually an XA30.5; the XA100.5 is the same only a llttle taller.
I had nothing to do so I read the manual. Interesting:thumbsup:

Feanor
05-21-2008, 12:20 PM

What I'm actually powering my 1.6's with is a pair of these Monarchy SM-70 Pro's. Pretty darn good and small fraction of the cost of an xa100.5

blackraven
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm using an Adcom GFR-700 AVR rated at 268wpc at 4ohms. It does a great job and plays real loud and clean. I am intrigued by the Emotiva 2ch amp coming out soon rated at 500wpc at 4ohms. Maggies love power and will take as much as you can give them.

I would also like to have the Parasound Halo A21 with 400wpc at 8ohms with 1.5dB headroom.

Feanor
05-27-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm using an Adcom GFR-700 AVR rated at 268wpc at 4ohms. It does a great job and plays real loud and clean. I am intrigued by the Emotiva 2ch amp coming out soon rated at 500wpc at 4ohms. Maggies love power and will take as much as you can give them.

I would also like to have the Parasound Halo A21 with 400wpc at 8ohms with 1.5dB headroom.

BR, I'm looking forward to your review of the Emotiva with the Maggies.

Magneplanars benefit from finesse as well power. This was my point mentioning the Pass Labs XA100.5. I shouldn't think my Monarchys are in the Pass Labs league, but they do have the edge over many more powerfull amps.

blackraven
05-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I would like to know if the Emotiva really excels in detail, clarity, resolution and imaging before I purchase one. The specs look great and the power is spectacular but I find it a little hard to believe that an $800 500wpc power amp can compare to a $2K amp, but the mark up on audio equipment is tremendous, so who knows! The reviews on their multi ch
amps have been excellent! Emotiva claims that their up and coming 2ch amp the XPA-2 is very dynamic but doesnt have as much finesse as the 7ch amp.

If I decide not to go with the Emotiva, the Parasound A23 will be my choice. Its reviews have been excellent.

That Monarchy amp looks great!

hifitommy
06-07-2008, 04:19 PM
along with a hsu sub and i am quite happy. i run out of neither volume or power. this is with MMGs. soon, i plan to try my dyna st70.

unlike electrostatic speakers i have heard, i dont find it necessary to be locked into the 'sweet spot'.

my other speakers are spendor s3/5s, and infinity primus 150s. they are ALL fun to listen to for different reasons.

for now i am wallowing in the maggie sound and loving it.

blackraven
06-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Tommy, jump up to the QR1.6's if you can. They are in a whole differnt league compared to the MMG's. Even the MG12's are a big improvement in sound.

hifitommy
06-08-2008, 06:06 AM
and yes, they ARE better but size constraints are in place. i have a 52" tv and any more width would obviate my access to the back part of my audio rack.

the 12s are amazingly good and the 1.6s are more of the same.

slbenz
06-27-2008, 06:46 AM
and yes, they ARE better but size constraints are in place. i have a 52" tv and any more width would obviate my access to the back part of my audio rack.

the 12s are amazingly good and the 1.6s are more of the same.

Wait until you listen to a set of 3 series Magnepans with the true ribbon tweeter. It gets better going up their line.

Slbenz

Mike Anderson
06-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I've been using ICEpower Class D amps on my 3.6Rs for quite a while now, and I love them:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/icepower/icepower.html

I'm actively bi-amping them: 1000 watts on the bass panels, and 500 watts on the mids/ribbons. The bass is outrageously tight and full. Highs are velvety sweet, not the least bit harsh or fatiguing.

Amps with these modules can be found relatively cheaply. They are small, cool, and extremely efficient. Perfect in every way.

Feanor
06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I've been using ICEpower Class D amps on my 3.6Rs for quite a while now, and I love them:

I'm actively bi-amping them: 1000 watts on the bass panels, and 500 watts on the mids/ribbons. The bass is outrageously tight and full. Highs are velvety sweet, not the least bit harsh or fatiguing.

Amps with these modules can be found relatively cheaply. They are small, cool, and extremely efficient. Perfect in every way.

Hi, Mike, nice to hear from you.

I guess your profile needs some updating: still says your using an MF amp. What are you using for a crossover for the bi-amping? Still Behringer, or have you stepped up to DEQX, TacT, or Lyngdorf?

Mike Anderson
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
DEQX, I love it.

jammin
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I drive the Maggies full range ;-) and run the sub + amp through the crossover. I chose 70 HZ @ 18db/Octive. (A simple resister substitution in the AD-1702)

The AD-1702 does have the capability to apply active curve's to the upper end sp eakers... the last time a played with that (with a set of Infinity RS-6's and the 2.8's ) it wasn't that usefull. I found a better blend between sub-woofer and speaker without the additional higher octive crossover. Yes this is all very subjective - YMMV.

There are many great amplifiers out - I can't overstate how McIntosh and Rotel have overall been over and over excellent matches for challanging loads.

--jammin

huskgarland
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Im having trouble finding somewhere to listen to the Magneplanar MG12's in England. Im very keen but nervous to buy a pair! I have a small room 5.5m x 2.6m and people talk about them needing larger rooms - is this to do with bass boom , imaging, or something else? Wife allowing - I could put them in my 5m square lounge. I am very keen to get back what I had with my old Quad ESL63's- transparency / ability to pick up very low level detail/ clean bass, etc - I had an underpowered Naim Nait 3 at the time so stupidly sold them - anybody able to advise on comparison of the 2 speakers? I hope my new Cambridge 840A verstion 1 amp is up to the Maggies - any experiences?

hifitommy
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
noticeably smaller and your room size is tiny. bass boom wont be a prob, and a small tubed amp would likely be a great combo.

E-Stat
11-11-2008, 07:54 AM
...but they do have the edge over many more powerfull amps.
Or the lack thereof. :)

I heard a wonderful sounding pair of 20.1s driven by Joule Electra Rite-of-Passage tube monoblocks.

rw

nightflier
11-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I know I'm late to the party with this post, but I had a bad experience with my MMG's and gave up on them - sent them to a friend in exchange for a pair of Quad M22s. Well he didn't like them either and sent them back so now I have them again (although I have not sent the Quads back yet as I do like those as well).

Here's my dilemma, and I realize I'm talking about the least expensive speakers in their line. But they sound rather lifeless, the opposite of what everyone is describing and frankly it makes me wary of moving up the Maggie model number roller-coaster. So far I've tried them with a B&K Reference 4420 (350W into 4ohm), PS Audio Classic 250 monoblocks (400W into 4ohm), and now they are connected to a PS Audio GCC-250 (500W into 4ohm). Now none of these amps are short on power or finesse, and I'm increasing the watts each time, but I still don't hear what the Maggie magic is all about.

Now the rest of the gear isn't top notch, but its OK and since it sounds OK with different speakers, I'm going to guess it's not the gear. Some of the possibilities that are running through my head:

- Synergy with these amps?
- I haven't tried any tweaks - suggestions?
- Speaker cables? Currently using Kimber 4tc, but I can try others.
- Speaker placement, room issues?
- Need more powerful amps???
- Power issues? Currently using Monster HTS-5100.
- Mine are the older variety with the thick sides. Maybe the newer ones are better?

Of course, I could also be dealing with the ones that "fell off the back of the truck" although I certainly don't notice anything unusual. Now the sound is not unbearable, but I get a lot more life, clarity, and depth out of several different box speakers, even the Quads, which I consider to be in the same price category and supposedly voiced according to their higher-up Quad electrostatics.

Speaking of size, the MMGs aren't as small as one would think. I can't imagine what the larger speakers are like. And they aren't exactly light either. For those of us living in small homes (hifitommy, I hear you loud & clear), they are already a good size speaker. Yes, I know that box speakers can also tip the scales, but the thought that these are svelte because they are flat, is a bit misleading.

In short, I've got these big black panels sitting in my room and I'm wondering why I bothered.

audio amateur
11-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I know I'm late to the party with this post, but I had a bad experience with my MMG's and gave up on them - sent them to a friend in exchange for a pair of Quad M22s. Well he didn't like them either and sent them back so now I have them again (although I have not sent the Quads back yet as I do like those as well).

Here's my dilemma, and I realize I'm talking about the least expensive speakers in their

In short, I've got these big black panels sitting in my room and I'm wondering why I bothered.
That's an interesting read Nightflier. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of getting a pair of those over the Quads for my parents. I hope others will give a little input on their experience with the MMG's, as I know several members own a pair.

blackraven
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Nightflier, I started with MMG's and moved up to the QR1.6's. All I can tell you is that there is a world of difference between the 2. Even the MG12's are much better. You get better imaging, resolution, detail, bass, larger sound stage and bigger sweet spot with moving up in size. They need to be between 1.5 to 3 feet from the back wall and about 6 to 7' feet apart. They also need a slight toe in.
They actually sound better if you can tilt them foward a little. I have mine standing straight up. Also, they sound better with 10-12g speaker wire.

The MMG's need a good sub with tight, "fast bass" to match the speed of the speakers. Placing the MMG's closer to the corners of the room will help with bass. They also need about 50hrs of burn in.

The Magnepans are not for rock music and sound best with Acoustic, Classical, Vocal, Jazz and Blue's. Most rock is recorded poorly. They really will sound like crap with poor recordings because they dont color the music. They are an unforgiving speaker, especially the MMG's. They also sound better at moderate to louder volumes.

As far as power goes, you have plenty of it so dont worry about your amp. What CDP do you have? I found that they need a good source to really make them sing.

In short, the MMG's are what they are, a $550 pair of speakers that sound different than box speakers. (They were meant to draw you in to the Planar sound at a bargain price hoping that you would upgrade to the larger much better sounding models.) You will get more lively sound from a good pair of bookshelfs but with the right music the MMG's are hard to beat at that price.

nightflier
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Blackraven, my CD player is an Audio Refinement Complete CD. It's been an excellent performer. I have several DACs on hand, but frankly the player does quite well on it own merits. I've been eying that Benchmark DAC and possibly the Cambridge one - I need balanced outs - so there may be an upgrade in my future.

Regarding the Sub, I have two SVS cylinder subs, but I don't think they would qualify as super fast. That said, the SVS techs say that sub speed is very much over-rated and that there are other factors that are far more important. Of course, these subs are very configurable and frankly, I've liked them so much I have two of them. You just can't get 16Hz bass, the kind that can move the couch, in pairs at that price-point anywhere else.

But what I'm really struggling with is that the speakers have no life. They sound flat without much of a soundstage. They lack depth and they are rather clinical, for lack of a better term. So it's all right there in one spot and that's it. There is no warmth, no dimension, no flow. They play music just fine, but just about every box speaker I have easily out-classes them. It's almost as if the tweeters, if I can call them that, are anemic. I know it's hard to use words to describe the qualitative aspect of sound, but I'm just not as impressed like the reviewers and the forum-posters are about these.

Mike Anderson
11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Placement in the room is absolutely critical with Magnepans. Try moving them around, a lot. If they sound too clinical, it means they probably around interacting with the room optimally. It's the reflections off the wall that make them come to life.

But yeah, the MMGs are limited. Don't get me wrong -- I started with MMGs myself, and they compelled me to go up the line -- but I couldn't be satisfied with them now. They just don't have enough bass, and the sweet spot is very, very small.

Magnepans are awesome speakers, but you have to go for the 1.6's at least. Preferably the 3.6Rs, which I absolutely love.

And they need to be driven with gobs of power, preferably through an active crossover setup.

Then you're talkin' serious sound.

blackraven
11-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Nighflier, I hear what your saying about the MMG's. That's why I upgraded to the 1.6's.

As far as speed of the sub is concerned. Magnepans need proper sub matching otherwise they sound like crap. Martin Logan subs and the higher end REL subs are a good match for them. Some of the higher end non ported servo controlled velodynes match well.

nightflier
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, I've been fiddling and fiddling and have been able to improve the sound. But it's been a lot of work and little improvement overall:

Current system:
- PS Audio GCA-250
- Audio Refinement CD
- MMG speakers

Tweaks tried:
- Raised the speakers 5" off the ground using ceramic tiles
- Straightened the speaker angle with the included little thingies on the feet
- Changed out to Belden custom speaker cables (heartlandcables.com) with bananas
- Tried several different interconnects with no real improvement
- Moved speakers closer to back wall & moved sound absorption panels around the room
- Integrated SVS sub into the mix (that was no easy task)

Now they sound much better. But let's be serious, that's a whole lot of work for these speakers. I mean, I know these speakers are bargains, but how much more expensive would it have been to add a couple of extra screw holes to the stands to adjust the height? And how about a threaded hole in the back to adjust the angle instead of that stupid flipping thing that won't stay put? Would it have killed them to use standard binding posts (I'd settle for plastic-capped at this price point)? And if you have to buy a $3000 amp to drive them, then that kind of makes the bargain factor obsolete, no? I actually found that my Spectron amp (500W into 4 ohm) is the best fit, but then I would have to use a different pre, since the PS Audio doesn't gel well with that amp.

So now I'm left wondering if it's worth it to get the 1.6's or the next model up. Will I have to get a $6000 amp, too? I know they can be driven with 70W Monarchies (which I also have on hand), but I like my music loud and I don't think they'll do well in that capacity. The contributions above, by the way are very enlightening. I presume the stands on the bigger speakers are better as well, but they still have those asinine speaker connectors. And apparently many people need different external cross-overs, which will add to the cost and complexity, too.

Anyhow, that's my story so far. Thanks for the help & links. Very useful.

blackraven
11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I drove my MMG's with a high current 120wpc JVC AVR and they sounded very good. But they are what they are, a $550 pair of speakers that needs a sub. Magnepan believes in using bare wire and even my QR1.6's use the same bindings as the MMG's. I've been to the factory and spoke with a couple of the engineers about the binding posts. Magnepan does sell a nickle plated adapter for Banana's and spades for about $25.

I drilled a hole in the back of the speaker stands and screwed into wood shims to get the MMG's to stand more upright.

Feanor
11-25-2008, 05:32 PM

So now I'm left wondering if it's worth it to get the 1.6's or the next model up. Will I have to get a $6000 amp, too? I know they can be driven with 70W Monarchies (which I also have on hand), but I like my music loud and I don't think they'll do well in that capacity. The contributions above, by the way are very enlightening. I presume the stands on the bigger speakers are better as well, but they still have those asinine speaker connectors. And apparently many people need different external cross-overs, which will add to the cost and complexity, too.

Anyhow, that's my story so far. Thanks for the help & links. Very useful.

The Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's are absolutely worth it over the MMG's. They are better in every way but especially in the ability to play a lot louder without compression.

I drive my MG 1.6s with a pair of Monarchy SM-70 Pros, as you might recall. Aren't these what you've got? Bear in mind that they are 120 wpc into 4 ohms and have great dynamics given 60,000 uF capacitance per channel. Some people make a big deal about crossover upgrades but they are by no means essential to enjoying these truly great speakers.

blackraven
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Well said Feanor. The 1.6QR's are a truly remarkable speaker at their price point and they are worlds apart from the MMG's. I ran the 1.6's with that 120wpc JVC and they sounded just fine. They do like more power if you like to play them loud though.
Any of the Emotiva amps will do them justice as would the Parasound Halo A23, B&K reference 100.2 and 200.2, and NAD amps.

I like to play them loud at times and my wife likes to rattle the neighbors house so the 1.6's liked the 260wpc of my Adcom AVR and they really came alive with the Parasound A21 at 400wpc at 4ohms which peak at 750wpc.

The 1.6's benefit from high current amps and 200wpc. 10g speaker wire helps as well.

nightflier
12-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I've been filling in the bass with the sub, and that does do wonders for these speakers. One thing nobody mentions is how quickly the sound drops off below their spec'ed range, never heard anything like that, very mechanical/analytical. I wonder how the 1.6's fare in that department? also, getting the subs to gel with them is an exercise in frustration, but if I sit just so, and I hold the speakers at just that angle, and I lean my head 3 degrees to the right, and I.... Oh fer cryin' out loud, what am I expecting for $500?

Feanor, I get the best sound out of the Threshold pre and Spectron amp. The monarchys sound good, but not quite as good. I guess synergy plays a role here, because logically that shouldn't be so definite.

Anyhow, the tweaking goes on....

blackraven
12-06-2008, 06:14 AM
The 1.6's have much deeper bass compared to the MMG's. In addition, the sweet spot is much larger. With the MMG's you have to find the right spot to really enjoy them.

I have a sub that I used with the MMG's, but I don't use a sub with my 1.6's. They sound just fine with out one.

I found with the MMG's, they sounded best when I set the sub Xover at 50 or 55Hz, what ever the cut off was for the MMG's. But I also had my MMG's pushed out to the corners of the room slightly which helped with bass.

Magnepans are definitely finicky about subs and they definitely sound better with musical non-ported subs or servo controlled subs.

RoadRunner6
12-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Stop by the Emotiva Forum and talk to Accurus and other guys who run their Maggies with one of these beasts.

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

RR6

audio amateur
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Stop by the Emotiva Forum and talk to Accurus and other guys who run their Maggies with one of these beasts.

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

RR6
Those things look like a steal.

RoadRunner6
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm really pleased with my new XPA-5. Reading through their forum there are a number of folks who use the XPA series amps (mainly XPA-2 and XPA-3) with their Maggies and seem to be extremely please about the results. The prices in my opinion are simple amazing.

audio amateur
12-07-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm really pleased with my new XPA-5. Reading through their forum there are a number of folks who use the XPA series amps (mainly XPA-2 and XPA-3) with their Maggies and seem to be extremely please about the results. The prices in my opinion are simple amazing.
Not sure I congratulated you on that one. How are you liking it??

RoadRunner6
12-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks AA. I posted a review over in the amp/preamp section. It is a very impressive beauty. See my photos there.

I have a friend who was in his family audio shop for years then worked at Pacific Stereo in California for 20 years. He is into building his own speakers and also knows the guts of amps very intimately. When he came over and I pulled the cover, he thought it looked like a very high quality amp. His remark having heard my speakers before was that the Emotiva sounded very nice for a solid state amp. He could not get over the price.

RR6 :D

squeegy200
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Of late, I've been using a Carver TFM-45 with my SMGs. Seems to work just fine.
No need for a subwoofer in my 14'x18' listening room. The Carver seems to fill the bottom end quite nicely with the SMGs using stock crossovers.

eberniewon
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I am running an Odyssey Extreme Stereo amp with my Maggies. While the amp is superb with plent of current, the addition of Nordost Blue Heaven cables puts the sound on another level.

Feanor
01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I am running an Odyssey Extreme Stereo amp with my Maggies. While the amp is superb with plent of current, the addition of Nordost Blue Heaven cables puts the sound on another level.

Hi, eberniewon, and welcome to AR Forums.

Which Maggie model are you using?

Geoffcin
01-03-2009, 05:51 AM
I've been filling in the bass with the sub, and that does do wonders for these speakers. One thing nobody mentions is how quickly the sound drops off below their spec'ed range, never heard anything like that, very mechanical/analytical. I wonder how the 1.6's fare in that department? also, getting the subs to gel with them is an exercise in frustration, but if I sit just so, and I hold the speakers at just that angle, and I lean my head 3 degrees to the right, and I.... Oh fer cryin' out loud, what am I expecting for $500?

Feanor, I get the best sound out of the Threshold pre and Spectron amp. The monarchys sound good, but not quite as good. I guess synergy plays a role here, because logically that shouldn't be so definite.

Anyhow, the tweaking goes on....

If your running mega-buck amps then you owe it to yourself to at least consider the 3.6r. I've driven them with everything from a Classe 401, to a battery power T-amp! Get the Mye stands for them.

nightflier
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Geof, I may do that someday. But for now, the Maggies had to go. My friend (who I borrowed them from) needed some fast cash for x-mas so he put them up for sale. I helped him pack the speakers, too. He gave me back my Meadowlarks, so I didn't mind at all - much easier to drive & place in the room.

So for now my foray into the world of Magnepan has ended. I may be getting a pair of Vienna speakers to play with soon, and I've been told they are a handful to drive as well, so we'll see. Thanks for the help with the Maggies. I'll certainly be back if I can get my hands on one of the bigger Maggies.

vincedog3
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I use the Emotiva XPA-2 with my Maggies MMGs with terrific effect. Has great control, tight bass, good midrange, just woke up the Maggies. Best amplfier for Maggies in the bargain price and more range I think. I noticed that someone mentioned the A23 Parasound, I would actually use the A21 instead, pricey sure but the extra power is worth it.

JoeE SP9
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
nightflier:
Are the MMG's you're talking about the same ones you said in a different thread were not working right? If so that could explain the lifeless sound you were experiencing.

nightflier
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, those were the ones, so I'm still open to planars, but the size thing is a whole other problem for me.

JoeE SP9
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Just curious, how can you be disappointed in the sound when you knew they were broken?

audio amateur
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
He didn't :)

nightflier
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I didn't.

jt1stcav
07-02-2009, 11:05 AM
When I owned a pair of now-discontinued MGLR1 planars, I drove them with a Carver TFM-35x (350Wpc @ 4 ohms), and a classic McIntosh MC7200 (300Wpc @ 4 ohms) with excellent results! Although I'm into low powered tube amps and efficient horns at the moment, I still love that planar transparancy and detail that Maggies provide. I have no experience with the entry-level MMGs, but I assume the MGLR1s were only a slight improvement at $900 a pair, and they sounded fabulous IMO with classic rock and pipe organ recordings in my 12' x 13.5' room. I'd love to check out Magnepan's MG12s and MG1.6s when finances allow.

jt1stcav
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using Class-D amplification modules to drive your Maggies? Or are you using amps from other manufacturers that use the ICEpower power modules installed?

After briefly viewing ICEpower's website, I get the impression they provide other amp manufacturers with their modules. Or do you purchase the modules direct yourself and build a chassis to house them? Where can I find info on amp manufacturers that use these ICEpower modules?:confused5:

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

nightflier
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Looks like someone revived this thread, so I'll join in. I now have MG12s in my 2-channel system and MC1s, MGWs, and an MGCW in my HT setup. I drive the MG12s with the Spectron amp and the HT with a Rotel RMB-1077 slimline little guy.

Frankly, the Rotel leaves a lot to be desired but it's small, sleek, and runs reasonably cool (although nothing like the Spectron). My biggest gripe is that it exhibits all the expected behavior of class-d amps: so-so midrange and not much up top. I previously had a PS Audio multi-channel monster in its place, and that was a whole different story, but now I'm slumming it with the Rotel.

The MG12s with the Spectron are an order of magnitude better than the HT setup. That said, I have an itch to go a step further on the 2-channel system and try bi-amping with a pair of tube monos for the treble and keeping the Spectron on the bass. It's just a thought at this time, but it sounds intriguing. I'm not saying the Spectron is lacking in the treble (at least certainly not like the Rotel), but I just want to see what I may be missing there.

hifitommy
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
dont exhibit the maladies you ascribe to class d amps. and as you know the spectron is d class as well (from the inventor). my friend had the cia d200s driving the mg12s to great effect plus von schweickert himself demoed his $50k speaker system with them which mightily impressed ME.

using the spectron on only the bass tells me that you have too much expendable cash. i'll swap you my adcom 555II for it. heheheheheh!

nightflier
03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
using the spectron on only the bass tells me that you have too much expendable cash. i'll swap you my adcom 555II for it. heheheheheh!

Well it's not like I have a dozen fancy-schmancy HT rooms to choose from every day, like some people here. Fact is, I typically have to sell stuff to be able to afford something new, and this x-mas season I did pretty well. So I do have some extra cash to spend, but then again, I still have to get through tax season...argh!

Regarding Channel Islands, I've actually visited the manufacturer and took a considerable interest in the mono amps a few years ago, but my experience with them was not that stellar (certainly not what Stereophile's reviewers heard). The mids and treble, while certainly respectable were still a bit subdued and they lacked a bit of air and separation. So far, only the higher end stuff from PS Audio and the Spectron amps have impressed me. Still haven't had a chance putting a good pair of Bel Cantos through their paces, and on the class-d front, that's probably where I'd look next. Channel Islands amps are very good, don't get me wrong, but I have to defer to what John Ulrick never tires of saying: class-d amps are not all the same and they are incredibly hard to do right.

Another point Ulrick makes is that class-d amps require much more power to compete with regular solid state amps, and while I don't exactly understand why, I have to agree that power does make a difference to my ears. The 100W or less class-d amps just seem to lack more than their big power siblings. For some reason it affects the whole sound, even on more sensitive speakers than planars. Maybe someone can chime in and explain this? Getting back to Channel Islands, I only tried their little 100/200w amps, so that may be a factor as to why I didn't like them so much - it was also some time ago, so maybe things have changed a bit since?

Dawnrazor
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
FWIW, I am using 2 Halo A21s in a passive bi-amp config (soon to go active). THose amps are excellent with the mags...as was my Pass X-150.

And I can tell you that the Velodyne Optimum 10 is a fantastic match at least if you have a pair of them. Frickin tight fast bass that blends with the mags.