Hope springs a colonel. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hope springs a colonel.

Swish
05-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Yes, the Flyers finally played like they had something on the line and have forced a game 5 in Pittsburgh on Sunday. I'm not going to get all giddy and predict they'll come back to win this series since only 2 times have ever done so in the history of the cup playoffs. Not saying it's impossible, but improbable. In any event, I'll take the win and hope for the best on Sunday.

Swish - never say die

kexodusc
05-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Yes, the Flyers finally played like they had something on the line and have forced a game 5 in Pittsburgh on Sunday. I'm not going to get all giddy and predict they'll come back to win this series since only 2 times have ever done so in the history of the cup playoffs. Not saying it's impossible, but improbable. In any event, I'll take the win and hope for the best on Sunday.

Swish - never say die
Or at least take somebody's knee out so Kex can win his hockey pool. I think the Flyers are due to win a game they don't deserve, and Pittsburgh's due for some adversity, so I'm guessing we play game 6.

Biron hasn't been himself lately and seems a bit sluggish on his lateral movements. Wonder if he's hurt?

Rich-n-Texas
05-16-2008, 06:42 AM
So I guess you started this thread in an attempt to keep me from talking about the Stars huh Swish? :smilewinkgrin:

Really, it seems to me that both of our teams face very similar odds, with the Stars' chances being slightly worse. But wouldn't it be great to have the underdogs from BOTH conferences playing for the cup? It would go a long way in bringing me ( and I'm sure many others) back into the sport from a spectator standpoint.

Swish
05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Or at least take somebody's knee out so Kex can win his hockey pool. I think the Flyers are due to win a game they don't deserve, and Pittsburgh's due for some adversity, so I'm guessing we play game 6.

Biron hasn't been himself lately and seems a bit sluggish on his lateral movements. Wonder if he's hurt?

...and Jason Smith? I was in my HT watching (of course) and had the audio cranked up pretty well. There was a scrum behind the Pens goal and a stoppage of play. Crosby complained to the referee about a penalty and Jason Smith yelled 'you're a f*c#ing p*ssy! You cry penalty on every f*c#ing play!". I could here it plain as day and it made me laugh. Crosby is getting himself quite the reputation, and not a good one.

I really hope you're right about game 5. You know, the Pens didn't win in Philly all season until game 3 of the playoffs. I just wonder...nah.

Swish

kexodusc
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
...and Jason Smith? I was in my HT watching (of course) and had the audio cranked up pretty well. There was a scrum behind the Pens goal and a stoppage of play. Crosby complained to the referee about a penalty and Jason Smith yelled 'you're a f*c#ing p*ssy! You cry penalty on every f*c#ing play!". I could here it plain as day and it made me laugh. Crosby is getting himself quite the reputation, and not a good one.
I remember the play but I was watching it in a motel and didn't hear the dialogue. He is developing a bit of a reputation for that stuff, but to be fair he also draws more infractions against him because he's so shifty and such a strong skater, and he skates through more than he should ever have to. In some ways I feel sorry for him - he had to do that diving lunge thing of his in junior because he always carried the 3 defenders on his back. It's carried over to the NHL along with some other bad habbits. He's only 20 or whatever though and a lot of young players whine to the refs early on. He'll learn when to complain and when not to later in his career.

The refs tell him to skate through it and so he does. He gets mauled more than most any other player becuase he can do so much more with the puck and he's one of the few players that doesn't mind stickhandling around you instead of passing off. I don't think a ref in the world would feel good calling 9 penalties a game all for impeding 1 player, so it works against him quite a bit. But then he oversells bodychecks and falls to fast on the softest of hooks and grabs and it drives me nuts.

Before this year I would have said Briere, Dumont, and Afinegenov are the biggest divers in the NHL by a longshot - more than the next 20 put together. But Crosby would be a legit candidate for #4. I haven't seen Briere dive quite as much this year and can't think of any in the playoffs (though didn't watch many Philly games all year) so I wonder if that's a Lindy Ruff/coaching thing. Some teams do it more than others.

I really hope you're right about game 5. You know, the Pens didn't win in Philly all season until game 3 of the playoffs. I just wonder...nah.

Philly hasn't put 3 good periods together yet this series and I just have a feeling they're due for a bit of luck - they're better than the 3-1 series standing suggests. First goal is everything to the Flyers. Pittsburgh changes strategies with a lead. They'll open up the defence a bit if they're trailing.

If they can make it to game 6, they have momentum and confidence back on their side....
ya never know...it's gotta happen sooner or later.

kexodusc
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Looks like Timonen is returning for game 5, and Coburn an outside chance...if Timonen comes back that's a big boost.

Swish
05-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Looks like Timonen is returning for game 5, and Coburn an outside chance...if Timonen comes back that's a big boost.

Just read something about it and it was only wishful thinking. His eye socket is still swollen and they can take the chance of reopening that huge wound.

Timonen? Count on it.

Swish - hope springs a colonel (surprised that nobody has tried to 'correct' my on that fractured adage)

kexodusc
05-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Just read something about it and it was only wishful thinking. His eye socket is still swollen and they can take the chance of reopening that huge wound.

Timonen? Count on it.

Swish - hope springs a colonel (surprised that nobody has tried to 'correct' my on that fractured adage)
Wasn't sure about the "hope springs..." bit - I'd be all over you about it...except I'm afraid I've not heard that adage or its derivative so I wasn't about to make a fool of myself and reveal my ignorance....oh, wait a minute --

Dallas is clawing back, fighting the fight I thought they'd fight in this series. Perhaps a bit too late, but game 6 in Dallas is NOT going to be pleasant for Detroit.

Philly can use the Stars for inspiration, every bit helps. I think the extra day off should benefit Philly more than Pittsburgh too. We'll see....

Swish
05-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Wasn't sure about the "hope springs..." bit - I'd be all over you about it...except I'm afraid I've not heard that adage or its derivative so I wasn't about to make a fool of myself and reveal my ignorance....oh, wait a minute --

Dallas is clawing back, fighting the fight I thought they'd fight in this series. Perhaps a bit too late, but game 6 in Dallas is NOT going to be pleasant for Detroit.

Philly can use the Stars for inspiration, every bit helps. I think the extra day off should benefit Philly more than Pittsburgh too. We'll see....

I thought that was pretty much known to all, but anyway, I was watching an episode of Boston Legal and, at the end when the William Shatner character, Denny Crane, and the James Spader character, Alan Shore, were having their typical cigar and scotch at the end of the show, Shatner at one point says 'hope springs a colonel', which had me laughing uncontrollably since it was kind of late and I was a bit punchy. Alan Shore offered that he was pretty sure it was 'hope springs eternal' but Denny disagreed.

Whether or not you find that funny, I did, and use it all the time in conversation and it usually draws a laugh, or at least a dumbfounded stare, either which is fine with me.

Glad to see the Stars force game 6 and I hope the Flyers can do the same, but I'm not betting the ranch on it...but hope springs a colonel.

Swish - a grandpa for one year

Rich-n-Texas
05-18-2008, 08:37 AM
...Dallas is clawing back, fighting the fight I thought they'd fight in this series. Perhaps a bit too late, but game 6 in Dallas is NOT going to be pleasant for Detroit.....
F***in' A man!!! :18: I missed yesterday's game 'cause I was pleasantly distracted with my new toy (a/v component for you perv's), but man I'm sure going to tune in tomorrow(?). It's been 10 years since I was last this excited about Stars hockey. :thumbsup:

Swish
05-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I will be in mourning for the next week or so, and will now be routing for my 'back up team', the Detroit Red Wings. :cryin:

Swish - wait 'til next year!

kexodusc
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I will be in mourning for the next week or so, and will now be routing for my 'back up team', the Detroit Red Wings. :cryin:

Swish - wait 'til next year!
Well, they got beat by a far superior team, so there's nothing to be ashamed of really. Pittsburgh stacked up with Hossa this year and they've made their run for it.

One thing that really bugged me though - up 3-0 against a team that's struggled to score against a tight defensive system, shame on Pittsburgh for continuing to "go for it" and running up the score. That'll come back to bite them in the ass...that's 2 teams now. Ottawa and Philly they've done that too....grrrrr....

The Flyers played with a lot of heart this year and I'm glad to see a strong hockey market rewarded for their efforts. They'll be a contender for years to come...

Swish
05-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, they got beat by a far superior team, so there's nothing to be ashamed of really. Pittsburgh stacked up with Hossa this year and they've made their run for it.

One thing that really bugged me though - up 3-0 against a team that's struggled to score against a tight defensive system, shame on Pittsburgh for continuing to "go for it" and running up the score. That'll come back to bite them in the ass...that's 2 teams now. Ottawa and Philly they've done that too....grrrrr....

The Flyers played with a lot of heart this year and I'm glad to see a strong hockey market rewarded for their efforts. They'll be a contender for years to come...

...and expect to see them semi-active in the off-season. They need some speed on defense, along with a little size, and with Gagne back in action, they should be out of the gate quickly next season. It still hurts to be one series away from the finals.

Swish

bobsticks
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
4:26 left in the second and it's already pretty safe to say that the Wings will facing the Pens for Lord Stanley's chalice.