ever hear these speakers? alnico fostex? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ever hear these speakers? alnico fostex?

budgetaudio76
05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
i saw a pair of
ZENITH ALLEGRO 3000 speakers

i didnt read into them until today. and i read that they have alnico drivers as well as a horn tweeter. woofers have treated cloth surrounds. and that they sound better with a bigger enclosure than what they came out with from the factory. i think they were like 25 dollars for the pair. but will be lower priced on saturday. they are from the mid 70s, have tone controls in the back. i was wondering about whether or not they are worth it just for the drivers. do you have familiarity with the alnico drive unit(magnetic structure or is it the woofer and all. i read that they are quite efficient. and good for acoustic music{just my avenue}.
they are like a large bookshelf speaker. much like other bookshelf speaks of that era.

more info can be gotten by googling the speakers

N. Abstentia
05-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Alnico is just what the magnet is made of. Most are ceramic, but alnico speakers are popular for low power guitar amps. The old legendary JBL D130/120 speakers were alnico.

Is this what the speakers look like?

http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/Media/Equip/Zenith-15'-Alnico-Speakers.jpg

bfalls
05-15-2008, 04:57 AM
The only Zenith Allegro speakers I remember from the 70s were parts of cheap "rack" systems. They were thin and made of some type of pressed board. I don't think Zenith has ever been known for their speaker systems. For $25/pr, if your ears like them you can't go wrong.

budgetaudio76
05-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Alnico is just what the magnet is made of. Most are ceramic, but alnico speakers are popular for low power guitar amps. The old legendary JBL D130/120 speakers were alnico.

Is this what the speakers look like?

http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/Media/Equip/Zenith-15'-Alnico-Speakers.jpg

am not certain of how they look in side the cab.
i read some though that said that they have good quality woofers. along with no foam rot.
and yes they have poor cabinets. more like fire wood, i read. i cant really audition them, but i can hook them up to see if both the woofer and tweets work.
the woofers have 2 inch voice coils...according to the posts i read in the other audio bulletins. some use the drivers for diy speaks.
the cabs seem to be pretty thick on the ones i saw. they were abit heavy. i read zenith wasnt consistant with what they used. so it would be a crap shoot chance if i bought them.
they also have the accordian surrounds.
the problem im facing now is i have too many speakers. so ill have to think long and hard for this one.