Best value for Speaker system <$450 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best value for Speaker system <$450

chandl0r
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I am going to get a speaker system primarily to play music out of. The music that I will play is usually going to be low to medium quality MP3 files that are downloaded. I am looking for a speaker system that will give me really good sound with good bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would be less than $450? I have been looking around and trying to find some deals on Craigs list and ebay, but I see some speakers that are somewhat expensive, but I read that they need a very powerful (and expensive) reciever to pwoer them.

So if anyone has a combination that would work well, I would really appreicate it. Thanks.

Feanor
05-15-2008, 02:28 AM
I am going to get a speaker system primarily to play music out of. The music that I will play is usually going to be low to medium quality MP3 files that are downloaded. I am looking for a speaker system that will give me really good sound with good bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would be less than $450? I have been looking around and trying to find some deals on Craigs list and ebay, but I see some speakers that are somewhat expensive, but I read that they need a very powerful (and expensive) reciever to pwoer them.

So if anyone has a combination that would work well, I would really appreicate it. Thanks.

Hi, chandl0r,

Something we'll need to know to make suggestions, is how you intend to power the speakers you want. Do you now have a receiver or some sort of amplifier? What is your source for your MP3 files: a computer? Do you want to power the speakers directly from the computer?

Depending on your answers, it could be the self-powered, so-called "active", speakers would be a solution -- some thing like these Behringer studio monitors ...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=248-640
They would be a considerable improvement over typical, small computer speakers. (You would need a mini-stereo phono plug to mono 1/4" phone plug "Y" connector to connect for you sound card to speakers, but that's no big deal.)

Groundbeef
05-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Can't tell if this a spam request or a real request.

Either way, look at the BOSE wave. Amazing sound for an low price, payable over several months.

chandl0r
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Is there any downside to going with an "active" speaker such as the berringers mentioned above? They seem like a really good option for me. But I wasn't sure if there is some big downside to having those type, because I haven't seen many of those while I look for speakers on the internet. Thanks.

Gab
05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Teac CR-H227i CD player/Receiver/

Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 Speakers

its a bit over your price but you will thank me ;)

For digital look for the logitec squeezebox + project amp box but now your in 1000 $

try find it used also

Feanor
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Is there any downside to going with an "active" speaker such as the berringers mentioned above? They seem like a really good option for me. But I wasn't sure if there is some big downside to having those type, because I haven't seen many of those while I look for speakers on the internet. Thanks.

Behringer is a very well known brand, but more so to music professionals than home users. There is no downside to this type of speaker for use with a computer as source. On the contrary: they have the advantage of good high & low frequency and room compensation controls which "normal" bookshelf speakers lack. And, of course, the active versions don't a require receiver or amplifier. Check out the Behringer website (http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG) for more info on these.

chandl0r
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Behringer is a very well known brand, but more so to music professionals than home users. There is no downside to this type of speaker for use with a computer as source. On the contrary: they have the advantage of good high & low frequency and room compensation controls which "normal" bookshelf speakers lack. And, of course, the active versions don't a require receiver or amplifier. Check out the Behringer website (http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG) for more info on these.

And do these have good bass? I read some reviews and they said that the bass was weak without a seperate subwoofer, but i know that audio reviews especially are very relative to what you have listened to prior.

chandl0r
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I was reading more on their website, and on other websites, and it seems like they are a primarily a speaker for musicians who are recording music, would these be ok if I planned on using them for just playing already recorded mp3's?

audio amateur
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I was reading more on their website, and on other websites, and it seems like they are a primarily a speaker for musicians who are recording music, would these be ok if I planned on using them for just playing already recorded mp3's?
Yeah they should be fine for your needs

blackraven
05-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I would look for some infinity beta 50's floor standers or the infinity primus 360s or 362's.
These are good budget floor standers and will have bass in the 35Hz range.

Feanor
05-16-2008, 02:51 AM
And do these have good bass? I read some reviews and they said that the bass was weak without a seperate subwoofer, but i know that audio reviews especially are very relative to what you have listened to prior.

Now for $450 you want a subwoofer too?? The Behringers will give you flat response to 50Hz and will play loud -- you'll note they have 8.75" woofers. There are no cheap subwoofers that will give you reasonable bass much lower than 45Hz. You will be better off buying half-decent main speakers than crappy mains + a crappy sub.

Yes, the Behringers are marketed to musicians and music pros: that doesn't mean they won't work for hi-fi use. Their built-in controls permit high and low frequency tuning and also -- this is important -- tuning for proximity to walls or corners: this is a feature that could and should be built-in to many "audiophile" speakers, but isn't.

tzenmo
05-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes! Nice information that you have shared with us.

Thank you very much!