Who guaranteed that I'd like the Augie March disk? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who guaranteed that I'd like the Augie March disk?

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Was it Swish? Davey? I can't remember. I think that Davey was the first to recommend it and Swishy made the guarantee.

Whoever it was is right. I'm into my first spin and already know that this will be in regular rotation for a while.

Thanks for the rec boys!

Davey
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Was it Swish? Davey? I can't remember. I think that Davey was the first to recommend it and Swishy made the guarantee.

Yea, probably Swish Daddy since he <s>often</s> usually posts drunk and says all kinds of crazy things, especially about music and hockey. You just lucked out, don't take it as a sign of good taste, or anything crazy like that.

Swish
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Yea, probably Swish Daddy since he <s>often</s> usually posts drunk and says all kinds of crazy things, especially about music and hockey. You just lucked out, don't take it as a sign of good taste, or anything crazy like that.

I'm sorta drunk right now after a couple Dos Equis Ambers and a few Troegs Hop Back Ales, so be careful or I'll unleash the hounds on your sorry arse.

Yeah, twas me who guaranteed that, along with the Flyers over the Pens to play in the Stanley Cup finals. Batting .500 which is pretty good.

Swish - has a nice beer-buzz at the moment

Davey
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm into my first spin and already know that this will be in regular rotation for a while.

Yea, in all seriousness it is a very good record. I probably still like the one before it (Strange Bird, that is assuming we are talking about Moo, You Bloody Choir) more, but it has a more urgent sound, maybe a little more stripped down and poetic than the newer one. In any case, both very good. I should probably go back to before that one of these days, but they have a ton of live stuff and extras that are supposed to be first rate too.

I mentioned another great one in the 3-LockBox thread he deleted (not that there's anything wrong with that), but been listening a bunch to John Vanderslice "Pixel Revolt" from a couple or so years ago, and it has a lot of the same sound, Kinks and Bowie and Finn Bros. (and more recently, the Shins). Much better sound quality than the overly loud and compressed Moo, recorded at his all analog Tiny Telephone studio in San Fran, very good record. Even issued as a 45 pressing at one point, bet that sounds fine. No guarantees, though I wouldn't mind one of Swishy's Hop Back Ales.

ForeverAutumn
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I am talking about Moo. In fact I'm listening to it right now. It sure beats that RPWL CD that I got suckered into buying.

I'll have to check out the John Vanderslice of which you speak. I like that description of Kinks et al.

Although I really should try to curb myself. My mortgage is about to triple! Ah, crap, it's only another $12. A few less Starbucks coffees this week and it's as good as paid for. :)