I'll have the Cabernet Sauvignon please. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'll have the Cabernet Sauvignon please.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2008, 05:34 AM
LONDON (AFP) - Music can influence the taste of wine, according to a new study Wednesday which suggests which songs go well with which types of wine.

Heavy rock music like Jimi Hendrix or The Rolling Stones is a good accompaniment to a Cabernet Sauvignon, while opera buffs might prefer a 2006 Syrah, said the study by psychologists at a British university.

The research, in collaboration with a Chilean wine producer, indicates that different types of music stimulate different parts of the brain, and prime us to taste wines in a corresponding way.

For example when a powerful piece of music such as Carmina Burana is heard, a Cabernet Sauvignon is perceived as being 60 per cent more powerful, rich and robust than when no music is heard.

"This is the first time it has been scientifically proven that music can affect perception in other senses and change the way wine tastes," said Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh.

The idea for the study was triggered by Chilean winemaker Aurelio Montes, who plays Gregorian chants to his maturing wines, arguing that the gentle vibrations improve the quality of the wine.

"I was intrigued by Montes' approach... and was keen to explore whether music could actually influence the taste of their wines," said North, head of Applied Psychology at Heriot Watt.

David Williams, editor of Wine and Spirit magazine, said: "I love the idea that music has such an enormous effect on the way we taste wine, and I love the idea that people in the wine trade might make use of this information.

"Maybe we'll start seeing buy-one-get-one-free offers replaced by free Mozart, and maybe one day there'll even be music lists in Michelin-starred restaurants," he said.

Researchers list a number of songs or pieces of music which should go well with various wine types:

- Cabernet Sauvignon: "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix; "Honky Tonk Woman" by The Rolling Stones; "Live and Let Die" by Paul Macartney; "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who.

- Chardonnay: "Atomic" by Blondie; "Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams; "What's Love Got to do With It" by Tina Turner; "Spinning Around" by Kylie Minogue.

- Syrah: Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" as sung by Luciano Pavarotti; "Orinoco Flow" by Enya; "Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis; "Canon" by Johann Pachelbel.

- Merlot: "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding; "Easy" by Lionel Ritchie; "Over The Rainbow" by Eva Cassidy; "Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez.

kexodusc
05-14-2008, 05:54 AM
"If we're drinking merlot, I'm leaving. I'm not drinking any @%$#ing merlot!"

Hyfi
05-14-2008, 06:25 AM
"If we're drinking merlot, I'm leaving. I'm not drinking any @%$#ing merlot!"

Isn't that from Sideways? What a cool movie.

kexodusc
05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Isn't that from Sideways? What a cool movie.
Yep...that was a rare find on the movie network one sunday evening that pleasantly surprised. I'll never forget that line.

This was an interesting read and a bit of a different take on my long held beliefs that mind and judgment impairing substances can only enhance the musical experience. Who knew there was an affect on taste too?

3-LockBox
05-14-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't dlink...vine.

Swish
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't dlink...vine.

It malks me dlunk.

Swilsh

Swish
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Yep...that was a rare find on the movie network one sunday evening that pleasantly surprised. I'll never forget that line.

This was an interesting read and a bit of a different take on my long held beliefs that mind and judgment impairing substances can only enhance the musical experience. Who knew there was an affect on taste too?

...but I enjoyed it. As for merlot, I don't drink it either. Give me a nice cab sav, pinot noir or maybe an old vine zin if I'm drinking red. As for the whites....so many to drink, so little time...

Swish - likes his wine...and pale ale....scotch...vodka...do I detect a pattern here?

dean_martin
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
FA - Can you recommend a Canadian ice wine?

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
FA - Can you recommend a Canadian ice wine?

Personally, I can't stand the stuff so I'm probably not the best person to ask. And I think that a good ice wine is truly going to depend on the year in which it was produced. Some years the grapes don't freeze.

Probably anything from the Niagara region in Ontario or the Okanagan region in BC would be okay. Those regions produce the best Canadian wines in general IMO, so I would think that their ice wines would also be good. The liquor stores seem to be well stocked with Inniskillin if that's worth anything. It could just mean that winery is able to produce high volumes.

One of my favourite Canadian wineries that is easily available is Jackson Triggs, so you might try their ice wine.

But I'm just guessing really.

kexodusc
05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
...but I enjoyed it. As for merlot, I don't drink it either. Give me a nice cab sav, pinot noir or maybe an old vine zin if I'm drinking red. As for the whites....so many to drink, so little time...

Swish - likes his wine...and pale ale....scotch...vodka...do I detect a patter here?

I like several merlots, and don't exclude them from my rotation. Kind of like columbian coffee beans, its become so common its developed a bad rap sheet, cabernet souvignon, I'm told went through the anti-connoisseur phase a few decades ago but has since become "ok" to drink again.

I prefer reds myself, my wife likes whites so we're constantly mixing it up. Pinot noir is probably my fav if I had to pick. Best find of last year was this cheap, cheesy Vampire brand cabernet souvignon from Transylvannia. The marketing is clever but its got some substance too.

dean_martin
05-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Personally, I can't stand the stuff so I'm probably not the best person to ask. And I think that a good ice wine is truly going to depend on the year in which it was produced. Some years the grapes don't freeze.

Probably anything from the Niagara region in Ontario or the Okanagan region in BC would be okay. Those regions produce the best Canadian wines in general IMO, so I would think that their ice wines would also be good. The liquor stores seem to be well stocked with Inniskillin if that's worth anything. It could just mean that winery is able to produce high volumes.

One of my favourite Canadian wineries that is easily available is Jackson Triggs, so you might try their ice wine.

But I'm just guessing really.

Thanks, FA. That will help me get started. We found what was described as an ice wine on our recent anniversary trip to Georgia - I doubt it's a real ice wine, but my wife liked it very much nonetheless. We've since learned that Canada is supposed to be a good source for ice wines. I like the reds myself, but we picked up more whites on our trip so I'm giving them a try.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks, FA. That will help me get started. We found what was described as an ice wine on our recent anniversary trip to Georgia - I doubt it's a real ice wine, but my wife liked it very much nonetheless. We've since learned that Canada is supposed to be a good source for ice wines. I like the reds myself, but we picked up more whites on our trip so I'm giving them a try.

A good ice wine will run you about $70 for a 375ml bottle. If you're paying less than $50, it's probably not real ice wine.

Here's a Wikipedia article I just found that confirms my earlier post. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

Maybe you want to pay us a visit next winter and taste them for yourself. :wink5: http://www.niagaraicewinefestival.com/ Let me know if you do. I'm less than a 90 minute drive from Niagara.

emaidel
05-15-2008, 04:48 AM
What an amazing, and fascinating thread! My wife and I adore wine, and one of our favorite pastimes is to curl up on a nasty, cold rainy/snowy afternoon, open up a bottle of good red wine (preferably a cab, or a Syrah), put a classical disc on the stereo system, play it loudly and enjoy the combination. I never once thought to "pair" music with wine - what a truly fascinating study!

Mr MidFi
05-15-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm lovin' the high-value wines these days. A good Argentine malbec pairs nicely with My Morning Jacket, I've found.

bobsticks
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Interesting thread. I've never thought about the wine/music connection, just the wine/food connection. I like a couple of the Australian Shiraz' that became so popular a few years ago but it should be noted that I eat alot of spicy, asian and sourthwestern fusion dishes that these wines go well with. If you can pick up a D'Arenberg Footbolt or a Barnadown Run 1999 they're nice and vanilla/peppery if that's your bag.

I have a few friends that are really wine snobs and, frankly, it doesn't work for me.I'm generally fine with a decent table wine as an accoutrement to a meal. I live only by the ethos that wine shouldn't be pink.

kexodusc
05-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a few friends that are really wine snobs and, frankly, it doesn't work for me.I'm generally fine with a decent table wine as an accoutrement to a meal. I live only by the ethos that wine shouldn't be pink.
From a guy that used to drink $4 bottles of wine in High School because he got better mileage out of it than a case of beer, I'm probably not much of an authority on the finesse of certain vintages. My old schoolmates still call me "Bull's Blood".

But, I do know of a few pink wines that are ok. Actually they're white wines, but some of the skin and aging process lead to a pink pigment forming. Faint, but pink all the same. So no reason to exclude pink from the rotation. Don't be hatin'.

So....I'm sensing the possibility of a weekly wine & music combo recommendation thread a la Tunesday Tuesdays....anyone interested?

emaidel
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I I live only by the ethos that wine shouldn't be pink.

Along that note, "Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel."

If you should ever mention the words "white zinfandel" to a knowledgable wine afficionado, or sommelier, or even reasonably intelligent wine retailer, you're likely to get killed in the process. White zinfandel was actually a mistake, made by accidentally leaving the skins in too long in the "lees" (the fermenting mixture), and I believe the winery that made this mistake was Beringer who ordinarily makes very fine wines. There is no such thing as a white zinfandel grape either.

I cringe every time I see the stuff.:prrr:

bobsticks
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
.So....I'm sensing the possibility of a weekly wine & music combo recommendation thread a la Tunesday Tuesdays....anyone interested?

Here's a good a place as any, great title...thread started by the multi-platinum selling Forever Autumn...this'll work.

But it's a bit early in the day to uncork a bottle.

JohnMichael
05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Interesting thread. I've never thought about the wine/music connection, just the wine/food connection. I like a couple of the Australian Shiraz' that became so popular a few years ago but it should be noted that I eat alot of spicy, asian and sourthwestern fusion dishes that these wines go well with. If you can pick up a D'Arenberg Footbolt or a Barnadown Run 1999 they're nice and vanilla/peppery if that's your bag.

I enjoy the Rosemount Estates Shiraz from Australia. A nice wine and reasonably priced. I have a bottle of Toasted Head Shiraz from California that I need to be enjoying soon. I have not tried it before. Funny thing is I can drink cheap white wines but I need more quality in the reds. Favorite quality white wine is the Pine Ridge Dijon Clone Chardonnay. I agree no pinks.

kexodusc
05-16-2008, 04:41 AM
I enjoy the Rosemount Estates Shiraz from Australia. A nice wine and reasonably priced. I have a bottle of Toasted Head Shiraz from California that I need to be enjoying soon. I have not tried it before. Funny thing is I can drink cheap white wines but I need more quality in the reds. Favorite quality white wine is the Pine Ridge Dijon Clone Chardonnay. I agree no pinks.
Mmmm...Rosemount...a fav of my wife's ever since we visited the Estate in NSW. 3 day extensive wine tours are a good forumula for a big headache.

emaidel
05-16-2008, 04:56 AM
I enjoy the Rosemount Estates Shiraz from Australia. .

If you like Shiraz, you owe it to yourself to snatch up a bottle, or 10, of the Schild Estates Shiraz from the Barossa Valley. This Shiraz blew me away when I went to an exclusively Australian wine tasting a few years back, and it has also consistently received ratings of 95 or 96 in The Wine Spectator. Like you, I like the Rosemount wines, and consider them excellent values, but this Shiraz will knock you over!

Swish
05-16-2008, 05:38 AM
If you like Shiraz, you owe it to yourself to snatch up a bottle, or 10, of the Schild Estates Shiraz from the Barossa Valley. This Shiraz blew me away when I went to an exclusively Australian wine tasting a few years back, and it has also consistently received ratings of 95 or 96 in The Wine Spectator. Like you, I like the Rosemount wines, and consider them excellent values, but this Shiraz will knock you over!

...Nov. 97 issue, and you're basically correct with the rating as the 2003 Schild was given a 94 rating. However, at $85 a bottle, I doubt many of us would be buying much of these, and certainly not 10 bottles! Ha! I would rather go for something like Reilly's Shiraz Clare Valley for about $25, and it was given a 90 rating. If money is no object, the Henschke Hill of Grace Eden Valley 2005 was give a 98 rating, but at $550 per bottle, money HAS to be an issue.

I love California Cabernets, but as a reader pointed out the recent Letters section, "the average 90+ point Cabernet now costs $104. Wow." Yes, it's a product that is driven by supply and demand, and I'm quite sure that people will not be buying as much of these more expensive wines in the coming months, so the price should drop. I personally don't like spending more than $35 on a bottle, and often spend much less, although in PA we have among the highest wine, beer and booze prices in the country, thanks to our state run "Liquor Control Board'. I can't order wine on-line or even bring any into PA from another state, legally anyway, as you must go to a 'State Store' for your purchases. Nasty.

Swish

emaidel
05-16-2008, 05:48 AM
[QUOTE=Swish at $85 a bottle, I doubt many of us would be buying much of these, and certainly not 10 bottles!
Swish[/QUOTE]

Not so. I looked up the Schild Estate Shiraz online, and found the 2005 vintage for $23.99 a bottle (93 point rating from The Wine Spectator). That's about what I've always paid for this wine, and I purchased several cases of it too. Unfortunately, there's none left. Strange how that happens....

Hopefully, you should be able to get it locally for somewhere near that price, and not $85 due to those ridiculous laws.

Swish
05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Not so. I looked up the Schild Estate Shiraz online, and found the 2005 vintage for $23.99 a bottle (93 point rating from The Wine Spectator). That's about what I've always paid for this wine, and I purchased several cases of it too. Unfortunately, there's none left. Strange how that happens....

Hopefully, you should be able to get it locally for somewhere near that price, and not $85 due to those ridiculous laws.

...correct facts. :p Yes, the 2005 Shiraz Barossa is listed at $25, but the Barossa Ben Schild Reserve for 2005 is listed at $48, although it was rated at only 91. Too bad they sold out or I'd be buying a couple bottles.

Swish

bobsticks
05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Bare with me here on some of the descriptions because I suspect that this is more about situations and sensations than anything else. Accordingly there's some backstory.

For whatever reason I've been thinking about sushi for most of the day and that means a trip to the heart of the city. Downtown we have a restaurant that receives deliveries several times a day from the coasts. Additionaly there are several fine markets and a spirit shoppe located in the shadow of the City CountyBuilding so one can peacefully linger over potential accoutrements for the meal while watching the prisoners get bonded out.

I decided early on for Unagi or freshwater eel, as well as some maguro as mains. Conventional wisdom usually suggests a champagne, beer or rice wine with sushi but I opted for something different, Grosset's 2007 Polish Hill Riesling. I'd read an article praising the Kiedrich Grafenberg Trockenbeerenauslese but was unable to find it. It's worth noting that inkeeping with the general macabre level of neo-white trash fashion and bizarre couplings Naptown has an excellent underground spirit shoppe. I say underground for reasons twofold--from the front the store appears to be nothing more than the average cosmopolitan liquor store with squaters and barred windows but, housed in the remnants of a defunct bank, there is a fine wine cellar literally underground. Lots of interesting vintages from ecclectic wineries so I snapped up the Grosset and was on my way.

For brevity's sake I'll simply say that the rest of meal was to include roasted asparagus with nameko mushrooms and garlic butter, miso soup, cucumber salad, and fresh baked (though bakery bought)chocolate tarts with blueberries and raspberries.

I arrived home to find Jai on the doorstep grumbling about her work so it was clearly time for action. After uncorking the first of two bottles and a brisk foot massage I hit the system on the way to the kitchen. I had originally envisioned the Riesling as an accompaniment for Lang Lang's Dragon Songs disc about which I was raving to emaidel just a few days ago. It was not to be. Whether the sudden flurry of activity or, more likely, the herbal spice of the Grosset, the wine demands a beat. Skimming through the titles of my collection the one disc that jumped out was Willie Nile'sBeautiful Wreck of the World though I can see old Stones working out too. By Black Magic and White Lies the scent of fresh garlic simmering was almost palpable. By the title song the second glass had fully bloomed and a lemony aroma accompanied some Black Diamond sharp superbly.

A few glasses into the project the mood changed dramatically for the better, a certain carefree thing abetted by dinner itself and the second recommended album, Regatta de Blanc. I remember thinking I could feel Stewart Copland's highhat tingle inside the top of my head.

At the moment I'm sitting in the leather with two big stats cooly crooning Ray Lamontagne's Trouble with big blue lights shining...althewhile listening to the patter of little feet in the kitchen (there's a rule at Chez Sticks, I do the cooking and guests get the dishes) and enjoying some of Clan Donald's best.

Thanks for the idea Autumn. There maybe something to this wine and music deal afterall. Gotta go.

ForeverAutumn
05-23-2008, 05:47 AM
I could feel Stewart Copland's highhat tingle inside the top of my head.

That was the mushrooms kicking in. :cornut:

Thanks for the idea Autumn. There maybe something to this wine and music deal afterall. Gotta go.

I'm glad that you found something worthwhile in my silly little post.

When did you become F. Scott Fitzgerald?

kexodusc
05-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Bare with me here on some of the descriptions because I suspect that this is more about situations and sensations than anything else. Accordingly there's some backstory.

For whatever reason I've been thinking about sushi for most of the day and that means a trip to the heart of the city. Downtown we have a restaurant that receives deliveries several times a day from the coasts. Additionaly there are several fine markets and a spirit shoppe located in the shadow of the City CountyBuilding so one can peacefully linger over potential accoutrements for the meal while watching the prisoners get bonded out.

I decided early on for Unagi or freshwater eel, as well as some maguro as mains. Conventional wisdom usually suggests a champagne, beer or rice wine with sushi but I opted for something different, Grosset's 2007 Polish Hill Riesling. I'd read an article praising the Kiedrich Grafenberg Trockenbeerenauslese but was unable to find it. It's worth noting that inkeeping with the general macabre level of neo-white trash fashion and bizarre couplings Naptown has an excellent underground spirit shoppe. I say underground for reasons twofold--from the front the store appears to be nothing more than the average cosmopolitan liquor store with squaters and barred windows but, housed in the remnants of a defunct bank, there is a fine wine cellar literally underground. Lots of interesting vintages from ecclectic wineries so I snapped up the Grosset and was on my way.

For brevity's sake I'll simply say that the rest of meal was to include roasted asparagus with nameko mushrooms and garlic butter, miso soup, cucumber salad, and fresh baked (though bakery bought)chocolate tarts with blueberries and raspberries.

I arrived home to find Jai on the doorstep grumbling about her work so it was clearly time for action. After uncorking the first of two bottles and a brisk foot massage I hit the system on the way to the kitchen. I had originally envisioned the Riesling as an accompaniment for Lang Lang's Dragon Songs disc about which I was raving to emaidel just a few days ago. It was not to be. Whether the sudden flurry of activity or, more likely, the herbal spice of the Grosset, the wine demands a beat. Skimming through the titles of my collection the one disc that jumped out was Willie Nile'sBeautiful Wreck of the World though I can see old Stones working out too. By Black Magic and White Lies the scent of fresh garlic simmering was almost palpable. By the title song the second glass had fully bloomed and a lemony aroma accompanied some Black Diamond sharp superbly.

A few glasses into the project the mood changed dramatically for the better, a certain carefree thing abetted by dinner itself and the second recommended album, Regatta de Blanc. I remember thinking I could feel Stewart Copland's highhat tingle inside the top of my head.

At the moment I'm sitting in the leather with two big stats cooly crooning Ray Lamontagne's Trouble with big blue lights shining...althewhile listening to the patter of little feet in the kitchen (there's a rule at Chez Sticks, I do the cooking and guests get the dishes) and enjoying some of Clan Donald's best.

Sounds lovely.

2 nights ago I owned a bottle of de Bortoli petit verdot, 2004 while reacquainting myself to a little Gov't Mule, and a lot of Symphony X.

I found this particular vintage to be equally suited to either. Can't say I noticed much difference in taste one way or another, but I was able to ignore a lot of activity outdoors. Is the wine enhancing the music, or the music enhancing the wine? hmmmm....

bobsticks
05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
That was the mushrooms kicking in. :cornut:

Well, it's been a few years since my reformation from the Clan of Bad Boy but you never know. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop huffin' paint.

When did you become F. Scott Fitzgerald?

It's the product of my misspent youth...a child of Baudelaire and Austen, Dickens and Twain...a student and practitioner of austere hedonism finding it's embodiment ultimately in sonic undertones...

<div><object width="420" height="336"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x25v9u&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x25v9u&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="336" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25v9u_sisters-of-mercy-dominion_music">Sisters of Mercy - Dominion</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Tunashaker">Tunashaker</a></i></div>

...with weekly doses of...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmOCXQKFBKw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmOCXQKFBKw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sad really. More like a young William Buckley on amyl nitrate...or Zelda.

JohnMichael
05-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Well, it's been a few years since my reformation from the Clan of Bad Boy but you never know. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop huffin' paint.

It's the product of my misspent youth...a child of Baudelaire and Austen, Dickens and Twain...a student and practitioner of austere hedonism finding it's embodiment ultimately in sonic undertones...

Sad really. More like a young William Buckley on amyl nitrate...or Zelda.

It has been many years since my reformation. During college we thought many things would be legalized. I am very excited to visit Amsterdam after my time in England next year. A quick visit to a more wild past.

Oh and I was never a fan of amyl nitrate.

bobsticks
05-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, we'll have to talk about that.

bobsticks
06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
As it turns out, a 2001 Concha y Toro Cab from Don Melchor served with Blue Cheese crusted Filets with red wine sauce and Ratatouille goes pretty damn well with peter Gabriel's eponymous album and Roxy Music's "Avalon". The key is having fresh Romas for the Rat, adding Panko breadcrumbs (also used in Tempura) to the cheese and having "Avalon" in the multi-channel SACD format.

Auricauricle
07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
About 8 years ago, give or take, I became facinated and enamored with Spanish wines. The Riojas were not--and in many respects are still not--represented with the same prominance as their French cousins. As a pleasant consequence, the prices of Spanish wines is quite reasonable, and oenoaudiophiles who haven't the money or the wherewithal to spend a hefty sum can enjoy a nice bottle or two. For my taste, the tempranillo grape is a noble one that rivals any cab, sirrah, pinot or merlot. Unfortunately, this grape is being marketed with some vigor, and I am pessimistic about its future.

Another varietal that attracted my attention was the Argentine Malbec. This grape is a wonderful little guy, whose piquancy and tannic qualities are a wonderful foray from the noble zins, which are beginning to be seen in abundant quantities at the market. I would hate to see the zins head toward the abyss like the merlot, which has been mass marketed and tamed so much that the product today--unless you are willing to shell out a few extra clams--bears little resemblance to its former self.

Now, I am turning towards the African Cape and Oregon. Oregon is just beginning to sort out its terroir, and have released some very nice wines as a result. South Africa is going through a similar stage in the development of their wine. I suspect that in less than 10 years, the stuff coming from that territory will be very exciting....