Time for a new DVD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new DVD player

Jack in Wilmington
05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Well my Toshiba DVD player is starting to show its age. I'm looking for a new one that will play DVD-A and SACD also and if it upconverted to 1080P that would be OK too. Is there any other features I should be concerned with? Budget is $500, because I still want to get a BluRay next year when I upgrade my TV. Thanks

f0rge
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
for $500 why not just get a bluray player.

what about a PS3? it can do all those things (well maybe not DVD-A, i cant remember)

Jack in Wilmington
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
for $500 why not just get a bluray player.

what about a PS3? it can do all those things (well maybe not DVD-A, i cant remember)

I have a nice size collection of DVD-A that I need to be able to enjoy.

Rich-n-Texas
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/

Jack in Wilmington
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/

Thanks Rich. That was one I was thinking about, along with Marantz DV6001 and Cambridge Audio DVD99.

f0rge
05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah looks like only the 60 and 80gig ps3's can play SACD too, so forget that.

Rich-n-Texas
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Someone here purchased the 980, but since you've got a hefty budget, that's the player for you! :thumbsup:

blackraven
05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I would opt for the new oppo 983 for $399. And you get a good SACDP to boot!

Jack in Wilmington
05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I would opt for the new oppo 983 for $399. And you get a good SACDP to boot!

Would you say it's as good as the Marantz and the Cambridge or better? Anything from NAD or Rotel fit the bill? I saw a nice Parasound in Audio Advisor. Looks like they have the one line from Parasound on sale.

RoadRunner6
05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Ditto on OPPO

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cd-dvd-player-product-reviews/dvd-players/oppo-digital-dv-983h-dvd-player---a-secrets-dvd-benchmark-review.html

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv983h/

RR6

RoyY51
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I bought the 980 about a month ago, and it is a good player...especially with audio. The only sticking point is in the video reproduction on my 51" RPTV. It's just not quite as good as I'd hoped. I thought that the upconversion to 720p or 1080i (tried both) would be better than my usual 480p through component cables, but I am not finding this to be the case. There is a difference, but I wouldn't call it an improvement.
And, Oppo themselves state that the 980 is not recommended for large-screen TV's. I was just hoping that it would be better than my cheapo Panasonic. That's what I get for pinching pennies.

I've read that the 983 is far superior in video reproduction, so you might want to give it a shot.

blackraven
05-14-2008, 07:27 PM
The oppo 980 is better for audio and the 981 is better for video, the 983 is great for both audio and video. I emailed oppo last year and asked them which unit is better for audio and they stated the 980 uses better audio components than the 981 but the 981 uses better video components.

The 983 looks like a real bargain as all of oppo's products have been. The reviews on it have been nothing short of excellent.

If your considering the marantz, look at the DV7001 which uses the same HDAM tech as the SA8001 SACDP if your interested in similar SACD sound.

pixelthis
05-15-2008, 10:47 PM
The oppo 980 is better for audio and the 981 is better for video, the 983 is great for both audio and video. I emailed oppo last year and asked them which unit is better for audio and they stated the 980 uses better audio components than the 981 but the 981 uses better video components.

The 983 looks like a real bargain as all of oppo's products have been. The reviews on it have been nothing short of excellent.

If your considering the marantz, look at the DV7001 which uses the same HDAM tech as the SA8001 SACDP if your interested in similar SACD sound.

the 983 looks great, but 400 bucks for a DVD player in the dawn of Blu?
Oppos own website said it, a 1080p set is capable of showing four times the info on a DVD
I don't want the "best" of the past.:1:

blackraven
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Why is every one pushing BR on Jack! He clearly stated he wanted the DVD player to be able to play DVDA and SACD and the oppo fits the bill at a very good price. He may also have a large DVD collection. Besides, I would wait another year on BR players if you can. The BR player that I have and some of the others that I have seen take too damn long to turn on and load up.

Jack in Wilmington
05-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Why is every one pushing BR on Jack! He clearly stated he wanted the DVD player to be able to play DVDA and SACD and the oppo fits the bill at a very good price. He may also have a large DVD collection. Besides, I would wait another year on BR players if you can. The BR player that I have and some of the others that I have seen take too damn long to turn on and load up.

Thanks BR,
Playing DVD's is actually secondary to DVD-A and SACD playback. I'll worry more about BluRay when I get my new TV. I'm with Blackraven as far as waiting to see what comes out next. I've heard good things about new players from Panasonic.

pixelthis
05-17-2008, 08:42 PM

NOBODIES "pushing" Blu on him, just trying to talk some sense into him.
I also have a rather large DVD collection, hardly watch em anymore.
Don't beleive me if you don't want to, but DVD, while quite good, is still
standard def.
400 bucks for a player that is yesterdays tech is just not sane, really.
You want SACD ? Great, there are a lot of inexpensive (samsung) and really expensive (marantz) that will fill your SACD needs.
DVDA ? Its modibund I'm afraid.
If DVDA and SACD are your main interest tho, then thats good, because thats the only way you'll get much use outta your player.
Its not just a question of BLU, after watching any HD source for awhile, DVD just looks
downright plain
Just tryin to help the man out here.:1:

blackraven
05-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I have a bluray player and a 1080p TV and I still watch DVD's and old non HD TV movies and programming. I like to get more out of a movie than being dazzled by BR. The movies I like to watch have a plot and story line besides special effects. In fact, I sometimes get annoyed by the fact that BR pictures are so detailed that some special effects and costumes look fake. And besides, there is a very limited amount of BR material to rent at present. So why not wait until better BR players become available and prices come down.

$400 is not alot to pay for a universal player like the 983 that does everything well, video, SACD, HDCD, DVDA and STD CD!

Pix, I see your point but it doesnt change the fact that Jack is looking for a universal player more for audio than visual, but also with a need to play DVD's.

RoadRunner6
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, and besides that, they don't have any adult movies out in BR yet! (that I know of...and I'm also into plots like Blackraven...some great plots in those XXX movies!).

RR6 :devil:

pixelthis
05-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a bluray player and a 1080p TV and I still watch DVD's and old non HD TV movies and programming. I like to get more out of a movie than being dazzled by BR. The movies I like to watch have a plot and story line besides special effects. In fact, I sometimes get annoyed by the fact that BR pictures are so detailed that some special effects and costumes look fake. And besides, there is a very limited amount of BR material to rent at present. So why not wait until better BR players become available and prices come down.

$400 is not alot to pay for a universal player like the 983 that does everything well, video, SACD, HDCD, DVDA and STD CD!

Pix, I see your point but it doesnt change the fact that Jack is looking for a universal player more for audio than visual, but also with a need to play DVD's.

PLOT AND STORY are important to me also, but my DVD player cost 130 bucks and has sacd and dvda and sounds quite good.
It all boils down to what I have been saying, after a lot of HD watching, DVD looks plain,
no matter how good the player.
I just want to see my movies in the best way possible, that is what this hobby is about.
AND you dont have to beleive me, but when that 400 dollar DVD player is collecting dust because it cant keep up, you will beleive me.
I have "collected" my last DVD, there is just no reason to anymore:1:

johnny p
05-20-2008, 06:18 AM
I'm done with DVDs for the most part, and have been buying Blu-Rays like crack.....

pixelthis
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm done with DVDs for the most part, and have been buying Blu-Rays like crack.....

...HO'S

I will be too, with Bladerunner my first, so I will have a nice libary when I do
upgrade. THATS what I did with DVD, worked out great:1:

filecat13
05-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I got the Oppo 980H from the company's refurb listings on ebay specifically for its audio capabilities. It was way, way under one hundred fifty bucks, looked NIB, and came with full warranty.

Since I have multiple systems, it seemed to be ideal for what I wanted: a dedicated CD/SACD/DVDA player in an audio-only 5.1 multichannel system. It works very, very well in that installation, and I can do all the set up from the modest LCD panel on the front of my pre/pro, so no TV required.

As a dedicated audio player, it will serve me well for years, and may be one of the last really good players of its kind. Sure, there are fewer and fewer DVDAs coming out and not that many desirable SACDs either, but the ones I already have are going to be playing for me for a long time, so I want a player that will do them justice. The 980H is just such a player.

I don't intend to abandon the collection I struggled to put together just because there is a new format on the market. That's why I still play LPs, LDs, and even some tapes (VHS and cassette). It's the music first and the medium second around here.

pixelthis
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I got the Oppo 980H from the company's refurb listings on ebay specifically for its audio capabilities. It was way, way under one hundred fifty bucks, looked NIB, and came with full warranty.

Since I have multiple systems, it seemed to be ideal for what I wanted: a dedicated CD/SACD/DVDA player in an audio-only 5.1 multichannel system. It works very, very well in that installation, and I can do all the set up from the modest LCD panel on the front of my pre/pro, so no TV required.

As a dedicated audio player, it will serve me well for years, and may be one of the last really good players of its kind. Sure, there are fewer and fewer DVDAs coming out and not that many desirable SACDs either, but the ones I already have are going to be playing for me for a long time, so I want a player that will do them justice. The 980H is just such a player.

I don't intend to abandon the collection I struggled to put together just because there is a new format on the market. That's why I still play LPs, LDs, and even some tapes (VHS and cassette). It's the music first and the medium second around here.

I have been looking for a new "toy" to buy, and have just about decided on the Yamaha 961 dvd changer.
It has Farouja tech, HDMI, SACD, DVDA, and is five disc, which I used to have and is nice,
and several other proprietary video proc techs.
Its 459, but seems cheap for what it has, even tho I WILL PROBABLY USE IT FOR sacd MOSTLY, BUT I will have to check out Pannys new Blu player first, see how much of an improvement it is.

So Jack, you want a reccomendation, there it is(if its not too late) the Yamaha 961 :1:

westcott
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Oppo is good on the video side but I would have to give the Denon 3930ci the nod on the audio side.

You might be able to find a used one or a B stock for around $500.

ldgibson76
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello Jack!

I could swear I was on Oppo.com!:sosp: Seriously though, if you want to step it up and get serious bang for the buck, check this out:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PACD200

I'm not saying that the Oppo's DV-980H is not a decent product. For $169.00, it's an excellent player. But if you want state of the art DVD-A and SACD with DSD capability, which the Oppo does offer. IMHO, the D200 is a better overall value than the Oppo. That's just me. The D200 is normally a $1500.00 device. The difference between D200 and the Halo D2 Universal Player (it's big brother) is cosmetics and balanced outputs. Other than that...same machine. Same DAC's, same drive mechanism, same optics!
And, if $599.00 is too steep, they have a few out-of-box demos available for $499.00.
For all of you Oppo-phites out there, I'm not dissing the DV-980H. It's a nice product for $169.00! It's no D200.

Regards.

valmeow
06-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Just make sure you go with Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD...!!

Rich-n-Texas
06-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Oppo is good on the video side but I would have to give the Denon 3930ci the nod on the audio side.

Well hello there Mr. Westcott. Long time no hear/read. :wink5:

pixelthis
06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Hello Jack!

I could swear I was on Oppo.com!:sosp: Seriously though, if you want to step it up and get serious bang for the buck, check this out:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PACD200

I'm not saying that the Oppo's DV-980H is not a decent product. For $169.00, it's an excellent player. But if you want state of the art DVD-A and SACD with DSD capability, which the Oppo does offer. IMHO, the D200 is a better overall value than the Oppo. That's just me. The D200 is normally a $1500.00 device. The difference between D200 and the Halo D2 Universal Player (it's big brother) is cosmetics and balanced outputs. Other than that...same machine. Same DAC's, same drive mechanism, same optics!
And, if $599.00 is too steep, they have a few out-of-box demos available for $499.00.
For all of you Oppo-phites out there, I'm not dissing the DV-980H. It's a nice product for $169.00! It's no D200.

Regards.

Thats a great price, maybe a little too great

Heres a Marantz changer that is 200 bucks cheaper(399) with the same specs.
I wouldnt be surprized if the parasound, the yammy 961, the marantz, all have the same guts.
they have the same specs for sure:1:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MAVC6001

Worf101
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Is the OPPO DV-983HD for sale yet? I can't seem to find one anywhere?

Da Worfster

GMichael
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
A BR player will play DVD's.
A DVD player will not play BR discs.
But to each their own I guess.

blackraven
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
You can buy the oppo 983 direct from oppo. www.oppodigital.com

Rich-n-Texas
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Is the OPPO DV-983HD for sale yet? I can't seem to find one anywhere?

Da Worfster

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv983h/

No! I'm not suckin' up to Worf! :nono:

pixelthis
06-05-2008, 02:32 PM
A BR player will play DVD's.
A DVD player will not play BR discs.
But to each their own I guess.

I guess the main reason to get a dedicated DVD player is the generally sucky nature
of DVD playback on Blu players.
All of thw players I listed are probably the same chassis(they have similar specs)
and they have Farouja chips, etc.
IF you spend a small fortune on your system whats a half a grand on decent DVD playback?
I am probably going BLU myself, the new Panny looks very good, that is if things work out with uncle sugar sending my rebate check:1:

pixelthis
06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Just make sure you go with Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD...!!

HEY! Whats a chick doing on here?
Anyway, welcome:1:

blackraven
06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll probably buy a 983 to compliment my BRP since we have a large DVD collection and I dont plan on replacing them any time soon. I also want the SACD playback.

Although, I wouldnt put it past Oppo to come out with a BR player that does excellent DVD playback at a reasonable price since they have a knack for making very good low cost players

Check out the $99 HDMI 1.3 switch from oppo!.

GMichael
06-06-2008, 05:14 AM
I guess the main reason to get a dedicated DVD player is the generally sucky nature
of DVD playback on Blu players.
All of thw players I listed are probably the same chassis(they have similar specs)
and they have Farouja chips, etc.
IF you spend a small fortune on your system whats a half a grand on decent DVD playback?
I am probably going BLU myself, the new Panny looks very good, that is if things work out with uncle sugar sending my rebate check:1:
Glad I picked up that HD-DVD player for $100 then. It does a great job upscaling DVD's. The 5 free movies were just a bonus.

Rich-n-Texas
06-06-2008, 05:40 AM
HD-DVD is dead!

GMichael
06-06-2008, 05:50 AM
HD-DVD is dead!
Mine isn't.

Rich-n-Texas
06-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes it is. Try playing it on your dead plasma. :rolleyes:

ldgibson76
06-07-2008, 05:31 AM

"Westcott"!

Long time no hear! You are right about the Denon DVD3930CI! That unit is a beast! I was really considering the Parasound to replace my Denon 2910, but after researching the 3930 and the Parasound D200, opting for the D200 would be like getting the 2910 with DSD capability. The 3930 is a whole different animal! That would be a true upgrade!
But the 3930CI still lacks DSD capability. That's a very nice feature for SACD 2 channel playback. A lot of times, I prefer 2 channel to multi-channel and having the ability to listen to 2 channel in hi-rez is very appealing.

Have you jumped into blu ray yet?!

BTW, how are things and have you seen the new Klipsch WF Series speakers (WF34/35)?!
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-35.aspx

Regards.

pixelthis
06-10-2008, 11:27 PM
"Westcott"!

Long time no hear! You are right about the Denon DVD3930CI! That unit is a beast! I was really considering the Parasound to replace my Denon 2910, but after researching the 3930 and the Parasound D200, opting for the D200 would be like getting the 2910 with DSD capability. The 3930 is a whole different animal! That would be a true upgrade!
But the 3930CI still lacks DSD capability. That's a very nice feature for SACD 2 channel playback. A lot of times, I prefer 2 channel to multi-channel and having the ability to listen to 2 channel in hi-rez is very appealing.

Have you jumped into blu ray yet?!

BTW, how are things and have you seen the new Klipsch WF Series speakers (WF34/35)?!
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-35.aspx

Regards.

IF I ever do get a Blu ray then the only option for SACD will be two channel, as my multichannel will have to be dedicated to blu :1:

frenchmon
06-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Thats a great price, maybe a little too great

Heres a Marantz changer that is 200 bucks cheaper(399) with the same specs.
I wouldnt be surprized if the parasound, the yammy 961, the marantz, all have the same guts.
they have the same specs for sure:1:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MAVC6001

I do have the Marantz VC6001 and just love it. But one of the grips about the Marantz is that you can't change 4 while one is playing...you must stop the player, and it takes about 10 seconds for it to start playing from the time you push play on the remote or the player.

But for picture, sound , SACD, DVD-A and eveything else it does, its outstanding. I bet its just as good if not better than the Parasound.

frenchmon

pixelthis
06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
I do have the Marantz VC6001 and just love it. But one of the grips about the Marantz is that you can't change 4 while one is playing...you must stop the player, and it takes about 10 seconds for it to start playing from the time you push play on the remote or the player.

But for picture, sound , SACD, DVD-A and eveything else it does, its outstanding. I bet its just as good if not better than the Parasound.

frenchmon
THANKS
Thats a big help.
I MIGHT GET ONE toy outta my rebate check(if uncle sugar ever lets go of it)
and its a quandry.
With a new DVD, I will get more use, but teh pic on a blu player is just so good
Decisions, decisions:1: