Did we talk about CC being in Chapter 11? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did we talk about CC being in Chapter 11?

Mr Peabody
05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I thought I remembered talking about a possible buy out of Circuit City by Blockbuster but I did not know they were in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. One of the major share holders, Carl Icahn, also says he will buy the chain if Blockbuster does not.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2008/05/05/daily54.html

I don't know about any where else but the CC stores in my area are located off busy streets and shopping areas which would seem for me to take convenience out of renting from a BB store. BB has 7,800 stores worldwide and I wonder why they'd want CC. Unless maybe some diversifying move.

I believe I mentioned some where that the Hollywood video in my area closed down. I also saw they are in bankruptcy and closing a lot of their locations. Seems the online mail order rentals having dealt them a knock out punch. I didn't realize this was such a popular medium. I guess it is though, I saw Netflix was caught in a 22, their business was such a large volume they took a major hit on postal delivery costs.

Woochifer
05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Think you misread the article. The only mention of bankruptcy referred to Movie Gallery (which acquired Hollywood Video and assumed a ****load of debt in the process). CC's not in a favorable market position, but they've not filed for bankruptcy.