Disparity in prices for replacement belts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Disparity in prices for replacement belts

emaidel
05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I looked online for replacement drive belts for my Dual CS-5000 and found two: one for an unbelievably low $7.75, and another from The Needle Doctor for a whopping $50!

I sent The Needle Doctor folks an email asking why the price was so high, and if their explanation makes sense, I'll probably order one from them. Otherwise, a price for what is essentially a flat rubber band that's almost 7 times that of another is a bit much. I say "essentially," since I realize that a turntable's drive belt is a good deal more than just that, but in terms of materials used, it's still a rubber band - just a good rubber band!

I'll post their response here for all to see.

JohnMichael
05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
They are selling the original equipment belt. I made the mistake of buying an aftermarket belt for the Rega. Yes it was cheaper. It worked fine until I decided to record some of my 45 rpm 12 inch records. I stretched it out to the 45 rpm pulley and when I was finished the cheaper belt did not have enough elasticity to return to it's proper size. It was only $12.00 but that was 12.00 wasted. Of course now I have the white limited edition Rega belt which was only $75 and matches my white achroplat platter. I wonder if I will have to put the white belt and platter away after Labor Day to remain fashionable?

emaidel
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I wonder if I will have to put the white belt and platter away after Labor Day to remain fashionable?

Now, there's a question not often seen here! I guess one could ask, "Since when are audiophiles fashionable?"

Woochifer
05-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I think JM's right -- this is probably an OEM belt. About 10 years ago, I bought an OEM belt for my CS5000 and it cost me $45. Then that dealer quit carrying them, and only gave me the option of special ordering the generic replacements. Since then, I'd been ordering belts directly from PRB, the manufacturer (though they charge me more than $7.75).

And I just checked the Needle Doctor site -- their price for a PRB replacement belt (size FRX 25.0) is $13, which is about what PRB charges.

The primary difference I've noticed between the Dual OEM belts and the generic ones is that the generic belts fit somewhat tighter and put a little more tension on the motor. Otherwise, they work fine. With the CS5000, a worn belt just won't cut it because of that quartz lock release on the tonearm. (I have a love-hate view of that feature -- love it because it automatically picks up the tonearm at the end of the side, hate it because you cannot bypass the quartz lock -- pain the butt when setting the counterweights etc. on the tone arm and when the belt wear out)

With the Dual OEM belts, I kept them in working condition for a long time by periodically rubbing them with alcohol and then dusting them with baking soda. The PRB belts seem to wear down faster, and aren't as accepting of that kind of maintenance.

emaidel
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I did receive a response from The Needle Doctor, and it stated that the $50 is for an original Dual belt, which they purchase from Dual in Germany, and whose price has gone up with the devaluation of the dollar. They actually recommended the PRB belt instead, and said that when customers order the OEM belt, they suggest the PRB belt as a less expensive, but equally good, alternative.

Insofar as maintaining the belt, I can remember what AR suggested doing with theirs, all the way back to 1964: clean it with alcohol, and then dust it, not with baking soda, but with talcum powder. In all the years I owned an AR turntable, I never had to replace the belt.

Woochifer
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I did receive a response from The Needle Doctor, and it stated that the $50 is for an original Dual belt, which they purchase from Dual in Germany, and whose price has gone up with the devaluation of the dollar. They actually recommended the PRB belt instead, and said that when customers order the OEM belt, they suggest the PRB belt as a less expensive, but equally good, alternative.

The Needle Doctor has been pretty good in my dealings with them. When I ordered my Ortofon OM30 from them, they had a special running in a Stereophile ad. The sale had already ended on their website, and they were out of inventory on the OM30. But, they agreed to sell me the OM cartridge body plus a 30 replacement stylus for the sale price. I would also guess that their margin on that OEM Dual belt and the PRB belt might be similar.

Insofar as maintaining the belt, I can remember what AR suggested doing with theirs, all the way back to 1964: clean it with alcohol, and then dust it, not with baking soda, but with talcum powder. In all the years I owned an AR turntable, I never had to replace the belt.

Ah! Thanks for the correction! Because of that quartz lock control (and the heavy platter), the CS5000 unfortunately requires much more frequent belt replacement than an AR turntable.