reccomendations for 1500$ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : reccomendations for 1500$

Bigmoney
05-12-2008, 04:07 AM
My budget will be freeing up a little bit farely soon. What loudspeakers can you reccommend for 1500 or less. I am not opposed to used, and I recently found a gallo reference 3.1 for 1400 on audiogon! Thats an incredibly deal, if you liek the looks and if it's in good condition. Any new or used speakers that strike you at this price point?

basite
05-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Thiels :)

look for 2.3's and maybe a 3.6 will come up in your price range too :)

other than that, Monitor Audio might be worth looking at, and some others...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bigmoney
05-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Basite, I value you opinion, that is why I must ask what it is you like about thiels so much? What sets them apart from other manufacturers for you?

basite
05-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Basite, I value you opinion, that is why I must ask what it is you like about thiels so much? What sets them apart from other manufacturers for you?

Their sound is extremely good (especially in their priceclass...). The holographic imaging, wide soundstage, the detail they give, the speed...

Thiels are fast, they have litteraly scared me because they sounded so real, they can go from dead quiet to an entire philarmonic orchestra attacking you in less time than a blink of your eye. It just sounds faster than most other speaker's I've heard...
it also sounds coherent, with some speakers, it feels like you're listening to 2 speakers. Here in my setup (and any thiel setup I've heard), I feel like I'm listening to whatever's playing on them, it's just there...

I have found myself listening to music longer than ever before with my current setup, they just don't fatigue me...

oh, and their looks, of course :)
beautifully made & finished.

They just keep impressing me, every time again. you can just hear & feel that this is a speaker with a soul, they were made with love & care...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bigmoney
05-12-2008, 07:31 AM
As I have been debating whether to replace my b and w dm 602's with better speakers or add a sub I concluded on better speakers, because it doesnt make sense to run a pair of 600 dollar speakers with a rotel 1080 and 1070 pre at 1,000 and 500 respectively. Plus whther to use a sub or not in a stereo has been highly debated. Tell me if I am wrong, but I feel that m y 602'd being of leser quality than my amplification are limiting what my amp has to offer. With a small room I dont know if thiels are for me since the manufacturer reccommends atleast 3 feet from the back wall and 5 to the side. If I was to do that my speakers would be 2 feet apart hahaha, that is if placed along the width. Any reccommendations with my amps kept in mind and for a small room????

basite
05-12-2008, 07:51 AM
what are your room's dimensions?

my CS2.3's are 50 cm from the back wall, and 50 cm from the side wall (left), and 1.5 m from the other wall, but I have a weird room :)

they're like 2 meters apart or so :)

Thiel's recommendations are more like an ideal placement guide, than a nessecary distance to the walls.

the 602's aren't bad, but as you've said, they 'limit' what the amp has to offer. a pair of better speakers will reveal what they're really capable of...

my thiels do pretty good in my small room, one step smaller is the 1.6, which is good for most music, but if you like really bass heavy music, you should add a sub to them...

the CS1.6 as well as the CS2.3 and the CS3.6 are more of a quality match to your Rotel, the 3.6 might even be limited by what your amp has to offer, not power wise, but quality wise...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

blackraven
05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I second the Thiels. I love their sound. They would be my choice of speaker if I decided to get rid of my Magnepans. Others to consider would be the B&W 683's, NHT Classic 4's, Paradigm Studio 60's or monitor 7's.

Bigmoney
05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
My room is 12 feet wide by 15 feet long and 8 feet high. It is my bedroom, and I will be leaving for college soon and will bring the speakers to my dorm. I am surprised that no body has commented on the anthony gallo references 3.1'3 I have found a few on the gone for around 1500. I have read great reviews and love the looks...plus who can argue with extension down to 22 hz.......

basite
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
My room is 12 feet wide by 15 feet long and 8 feet high. It is my bedroom, and I will be leaving for college soon and will bring the speakers to my dorm. I am surprised that no body has commented on the anthony gallo references 3.1'3 I have found a few on the gone for around 1500. I have read great reviews and love the looks...plus who can argue with extension down to 22 hz.......

you could go for the anthony gallo's, but I never had any experience with them, and side firing woofers aren't the best solution in a small room IMO...

I do have experience with Thiel, and others, but I find Thiels to work pretty well in smaller rooms (mine are in my bedroom too, i'm only 17, so I can't take over the living room yet :)), that's why I also recommended them...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Ajani
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
With a budget of $1.5K my top 3 would be:

Monitor Audio RS8
B&W 683
Revel Concerta F12

With your amp and Pre, I'd opt for the Revel F12.

Monkey Mouse
05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Listening to a lot of speakers, I think (if you can deal with their appearance) the Vandersteen 1Cs are one hell of a bargain for $1K new.

wy2be
05-12-2008, 06:51 PM
You gotta consider the Totem Rainmakers - they're abs superb! They have an excellent sound-stage, superb separation ...

audio amateur
05-13-2008, 03:51 AM
My budget will be freeing up a little bit farely soon. What loudspeakers can you reccommend for 1500 or less. I am not opposed to used, and I recently found a gallo reference 3.1 for 1400 on audiogon! Thats an incredibly deal, if you liek the looks and if it's in good condition. Any new or used speakers that strike you at this price point?
That does sound like a stinkin' deal. I'd try and listen to some if I you haven't.

RGA
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
The Gallo is a good price - I suppose it depends what you'll be listening to - The Gallo would be a far better choice for rock and slam related music than magnepan or Thiel. If you're going to be moving around then a room friendly speaker would be a wise choice. In a small room like a dorm it would not be such a bad idea to find corner loaded loudspeakers or near wall capable. part of why I like the Audio Note speakers but pretty much any sealed cabinet design - perhaps from NHT if you like that kind of sound or good older classic Klipsch speakers.

PS there is nothing wrong with running pricey systems with relatively inexpensive speakers. It depends on how GOOD the speaker is, not how much it costs. It is very possible that the speaker you have might be able to be greatly improved with better front end gear.

If you can try and listen to a Sugden A21a pure class A Single Ended (SE) integrated with your speakers and you may find new life there that you didn't realize could be had from 602s.

Brett A
05-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Your current bedroom is 1400 cubic feet, you could go with full rage floorstanders or a better pair of monitors. However, if your door room is much smaller than 1400 cu ft, I believe that monitors would be the way to go.

My B&W 683's are in my 1600 cubic ft living room and sound-wise, they fit just right (I listen to jazz/classical/neo-folk mostly). I have no problems with over-pressurization or bloating. They are fantastic speakers.I hardly ever think about them. They respond accurately to whatever is put to them.

If you're leaving for college, likely you'll move many times in the next 5+ years. Big floorstanders can be difficult to transport. When I bought my B&W, one filled the trunk and the other, the back seat. (and I have a big car) Also, they take two people to move when boxed.

AlanBstone
05-27-2008, 02:08 AM
I have an almost identical room and have tried various speakers.
The best I have heard and my current pair are Merlin TSM-MXe's. You can probably pick them up used (rare) for your budget.
They are clear and natural, non fatiguing and are extremely well balanced or as merlin say 'the sound is continuous'. Put these on a good quality stand and carefully choose the cabling and source and you have a world class sound.