Magnepan MG1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan MG1

Meddle
05-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi all. In case any of you have or have had a pair of these... I have a guy selling a very nice pair for $100. It's an hour drive to pick them up.

My guess is that it's well worth the trip. I don't have a lot of super powerful equipment.

Would a Marantz 2275 do the job? I also have a Rotel RB 870 (100 watts RMS).

Apart from that it's smaller stuff and a Creek 4140s2.

I really don't have the scratch to buy an amp for these, but if I can drive them with one of these amps, I might have to go grab them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Feanor
05-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi all. In case any of you have or have had a pair of these... I have a guy selling a very nice pair for $100. It's an hour drive to pick them up.

My guess is that it's well worth the trip. I don't have a lot of super powerful equipment.

Would a Marantz 2275 do the job? I also have a Rotel RB 870 (100 watts RMS).

Apart from that it's smaller stuff and a Creek 4140s2.

I really don't have the scratch to buy an amp for these, but if I can drive them with one of these amps, I might have to go grab them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Assuming they're working, the MG1 are well worth $100 despite being an old, old model. Either the Marantz or Rotel should work at moderate volumes, though you might want to check that they are rated for 4 ohms. (I have driven my MG 1.6QR's with a Marantz 2252 at moderate volumes and all seemed well.)

Remember that all Magneplanar need to be located 2.5+ from the wall behind them; this is the nature of their dipolar design.

StevenSurprenant
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Be sure and listen before you buy.

Make sure that these have the sound that you want.

hifitommy
06-07-2008, 04:59 PM
should be enough to do the job. i almost bought a pair of ones but got rogers LS3/5As instead. now i have MMGs driven with 200wpc (big room).

its likely that you will stay with maggies for a long time. if you decide to upgrade, the mg1s will do nicely as rear surrounds. surrounded by maggies is a pretty good idea for the envelopment that would result.

the hsu subs mate nicely with the mags.