Opinions on a Linn Axis table? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Linn Axis table?

Swish
05-11-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't visit this forum often, but I'm a regular at Rave Recordings and my amigos there suggested I check with all you vinyl geeks for comments/opinions.

I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Pro-ject table but now have a chance to buy a Linn Axis with their Basik tonearm and K9 cart. I know that Linn has a very good reputation, but as a recent convert to vinyl, I need to find a decent table without spending too much. The old Technics that I got for free turned out to be a mess, so I need to get a replacement ASAP. If you like this table, what we be a reasonable price for a used one in excellent condition?

As for the Pro-ject, it's the Debut III and is basically new. It was sold but the buyer returned it after only a few days. I can get this one for about $200 plus shipping, so it's a good deal and is at the low end of what I expect to spend.

Thanks in advance,
Swish

bobsticks
05-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Who are you?

JohnMichael
05-11-2008, 07:05 AM
The Linn Axis was the little brother to the LP12. They have not been manufactured for many years. The tonearm was sourced from Japan if memory serves and the K9 is a refined AudioTechnica cartridge. It was a good table in it's day. The table could switch speed electronically instead of changing belt positions. My concerns would be bearing wear and age of electronics but if all checks out it should sound very good.

JohnMichael
05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
What I should have added is to have them use a speed check disc and a strobe to insure it is on speed. Another good check is to remove the belt and see how long the platter will spin freely. It should rotate for awhile before slowing down. Also check to see if there is any play in the main bearing. General condition can also indicate what kind of care it was given.

Swish
05-11-2008, 01:42 PM
The Linn Axis was the little brother to the LP12. They have not been manufactured for many years. The tonearm was sourced from Japan if memory serves and the K9 is a refined AudioTechnica cartridge. It was a good table in it's day. The table could switch speed electronically instead of changing belt positions. My concerns would be bearing wear and age of electronics but if all checks out it should sound very good.

I don't like the idea of buying something out of production that could lead to $ down the drain should it need repairs. The seller tells me all is fine, but you never know, do you. Buying one that is new will likely be my best bet.

Thanks for the info!

Swish