NEWBIE needing some advice - thanks! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE needing some advice - thanks!

MartyW
05-10-2008, 06:42 PM
So I'm building an entry-level stereo system . Here is what I am thinking so far

1) Outlaw RR 2150 Stereo Receiver
2) Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers
3) Marantz CD 5001 cd player

What do y'all think of this? I have not checked out interconects and speaker cables, but I would really like to keep the system total to around $2500.

I live in the DC area - some stores around here but not a ton. I'm pretty sold on the Outlaw, less so on the speakers, and completely unattached to the cd player. I've read good things about NAD and Cambridge Audio as well. Figure I do not want to spend more then $300 on speakers, $200 - 1300 on speakers, and the rest on receiver and cables.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

Marty
\

JohnMichael
05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Marty looks good. I have the Marantz CD5001 and it is a great player. Do you listen to a lot of radio. If not a good integrated amp might be a better idea. The Onkyo A-9555 is very good for the money.

Welcome to AudioReview and let us know what you decide and how it all sounds. I am sure others will be along with their suggestions.

blackraven
05-10-2008, 07:16 PM
If you like treble consider the B&W 683 and 684's. I have the Monitor Audio Silver S1's and the tweeter leaves much to be desired. The RS series is a new design however and I'm not sure if the tweeters are new as well. I also like the NHT Classic 4's and the Magnepan MG12's which would work well with the Outlaw 2150.

The marantz is a nice CDP for a budget player. Consider bluejean cables for IC's and Cables.

MartyW
05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks JohnMichael. What do you like about the Onkyo? I just read the Stereophile review and it looks great. I do not listen to a lot of radio, just a few NPR shows downloaded to itunes.

Thanks - Marty

JohnMichael
05-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks JohnMichael. What do you like about the Onkyo? I just read the Stereophile review and it looks great. I do not listen to a lot of radio, just a few NPR shows downloaded to itunes.

Thanks - Marty

First is is an incredible bargain since it is available for $500. Comparing the Onkyo to a Cambridge Audio 640 A the Onkyo is more transparent. Imaging is better as is pace and timing. I recently had the CA 640 out to compare with the Onkyo and I find that it's sound can slightly color the music. Using the Onkyo each disc sounds unique without any golden haze that gives a slight sameness to all recordings. The CD 5001 sounds great through the Onkyo.

MartyW
05-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks!! The other question I had was whether it makes sense to get amp/cd from the same company. I have seen some nice reviews of the NAD c325BEE and NADC525BEE combo. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I am feeling a little lost in the hinterlands of all this!!!

Cheers - Marty

Ajani
05-11-2008, 06:40 AM
So I'm building an entry-level stereo system . Here is what I am thinking so far

1) Outlaw RR 2150 Stereo Receiver
2) Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers
3) Marantz CD 5001 cd player

What do y'all think of this? I have not checked out interconects and speaker cables, but I would really like to keep the system total to around $2500.

I live in the DC area - some stores around here but not a ton. I'm pretty sold on the Outlaw, less so on the speakers, and completely unattached to the cd player. I've read good things about NAD and Cambridge Audio as well. Figure I do not want to spend more then $300 on speakers, $200 - 1300 on speakers, and the rest on receiver and cables.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks

Marty
\

For $2500 you have a lot of great options... I suggest listening to several setups in stores to get an idea of what you really will like (assuming you haven't done so already)...

Having said that, I like most of your selections. For your budget I'd probably go for

Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amp $600
Marantz CD5001 CD Player $300
Monitor Audio RS6 $1,000
and maybe $100 on cables and interconnects
Total = $2,000

or depending on the size of my room, get the RS8 ($1,500) - Total Budget $2,500

bobsticks
05-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey Marty,

Welcome to the forums. You've clearly done some research to come up with your introductory list. I would caution against getting caught up in second guessing things too much. These components got almost universal great reviews because they are great budget units. I think you'll be quite happy with both the form and functionality of both Outlaw and Marantz.

That said, speakers are a very personalized thing. What sounds fantastic to me, for you maybe not so much. Your choice will also be contingent on the size of your room. If, after hearing the Monitors, they are your cuppa tea then go for it. You have however heard the opinion of an owner ( a person with a truly informed opinion). Frankly, speakers make the largest contribution to the sound of a system and should really be auditioned.

There are some very good speakers available at that pricepoint including the aformentioned B&W, and KEF and Dynaudio and Paradigm but each are going to bring something very different to the table. If it were my system at that pricepoint I'd be looking at some of the Omega single driver-based designs which would leave enough money for a sub to be used via the Outlaw's built-in crossover and sub output. That's fullrange on a budget right there my friend. On the other hand that might be overbearing for your room.

Sorry to add to the confusion but I really believe that by taking an active role in testdriving your speakers you can get the right thing for you the first time around...and that will ultimately lead to greater enjoyment of your music. It's worth the effort.

Have fun and, again, welcome

MartyW
05-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Making some progress - went a listened to the B & W 683s today - really liked them. I have read that they are bright, but I guess my ears are not that well tuned. I felt the bass came through really nice. Plus the soundstage was incredible. Sadly, the store that has Monitor doesn't carry b&w and vice versa. How do y'all make decisions without dragging 3 different sets of speakers home?

audio amateur
05-11-2008, 12:10 PM

It's funny to see what different people call 'entry level':)

PDN
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
JohnMichael:

Did you say you have the Marantz CD5001 or SA8001 cd player? Your system list doesn't show the CD5001. Did you mean to say the SA8001? How do you like that? I'm considering that in the future. Right now I use the Rotel RCD-1072 and am highly pleased with it but you know how the upgrade bug bites.

MartyW: I agree with your choice of receiver and CD player but consider the B&W 683's or 684's as mentioned by Blackraven. They are state of the art for the price and sound fabulous. Also the Focal Chorus 816V or 826V. I recently auditioned the 816V and I was very impressed. Excellent sounding 2-1/2 way floor standers. The Outlaw RR2150 is a great choice for the money at 100 watts/ch into 8 ohms for 2 channel stereo. Marantz and NAD are also great choices but at some point you'll need to make a decision. I'd stick with the Marantz CD5001 and Outlaw so far for sure. The NAD C542 is a fantastic player but you're in the $500.00 area. Keep us posted.

MartyW
05-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks PDN. I really liked the 683s - the bass was amazing. Did not get to listen to the 684s. Will try next time. Plus the room they are going in is kinda odd - its the front room of the house, not that big, but L shaped, and I'd like the sound to carry through the whole area well.

Looks like I will between the 683/684 & the Monitor Audio RS6/8. I've also read great things about the Aperions T5 and T6, but haven't listened to them, and there is obviously no place around here to demo.

JohnMichael
05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
JohnMichael:

Did you say you have the Marantz CD5001 or SA8001 cd player? Your system list doesn't show the CD5001. Did you mean to say the SA8001? How do you like that? I'm considering that in the future. Right now I use the Rotel RCD-1072 and am highly pleased with it but you know how the upgrade bug bites.

PDN what is listed in my signature is what I am currently using. I have extra components in the closet and under the bed. I have my Sony RCD W500C plugged in the kitchen since it is only used to burn discs. Oh and by the way the SA8001 is a very good cd/sacd player. I was surprised by the quality of the cd performance and I really enjoy sacd's. The player is neutral and I can listen to it for hours unlike other digital playback equipment. The sound is very natural and not crisp or dull in any way.

Ajani
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
It's funny to see what different people call 'entry level':)

LOL... It sure is....

blackraven
05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
The 683's and 684's are similar but the bass and overall tone of the 683's is fuller and much more pleasing and satisfying. If you can swing the extra cash for the Marantz 8001 SACDP do it. Its an excellent CDP and well worth the money. I had the chance to audition one in home for a few weeks and compare it to my 840c.

PDN
05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
JohnMichael:

Oops. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to be nosy but was just wondering if you're using the CD5001 presently or not. Thanks for the overview of your SA8001. That's good to know that you can listen to it for hours without fatigue. I realize this may be a dumb question but how would you compare the CD5001 and the SA8001 playing Redbook CD's? In detail, what would you say are the differences? As I said, I'm considering this as my next upgrade but there has to be a considerable difference between my Rotel and this one. I may also just buy the CD5001 to have as my 2nd CD player to switch around between the Rotel. I like having two CD players. Thanks much.

PDN
05-11-2008, 04:47 PM
MartyW:

If you go with the 683's, you may not even need a subwoofer and that's a savings. Yes, they may be a tad bright but keep in mind as we get older, our hearing sensitivity to higher frequencies begins to fade so a tad bright speaker design may just be what the doctor ordered so to speak. Just some speculation on my part. The L shaped room may lend itself better to the 683's as you say. Good thinking.

Let us know if you get the 683's or 684's and how you like them.

blackraven
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
PDN, I cant compare the 5001 to the 8001 but the 8001 has a very warm pleasing almost analog sound. I almost kept it over the 840c but the 840c had much better detail and transparency. I think the 8001 is the best bargain under $1K in the HiFi world. I'm going to buy one again for SACD use, I'm sorry I sold mine.

PDN
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Blackraven:

You mentioned you were able to audition an SA8001 at home. How did you swing that? Did your hi-fi store lend you one and if so, was it their showroom model or did they take one out of a brand new box? That's a great idea and I may ask my store to do that.

blackraven
05-11-2008, 04:58 PM
My wife bought me both the 740c and Marantz 8001 for christmas. I returned the 740c for the 840c and compared it to the 8001 which she purchased for $699 from audiophileliquidators. Unfortunately she forgot to check their return policy which was no returns unless broken. So I sold it on audiogon for $680 after 24hrs of posting. I got to audition it for about 4 weeks. There are several stores that have 30 day trial periods on equipment. Wild west electronics has a 30day return on their products (where we purchased the 840c)

By the way, she told me to keep both players and I'm sorry I didnt. She also told me to buy the Magnepan 3.6's instead of the 1.6's. I've got a great wife! I should have listened to her!

MartyW
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks all for the great advice. This is incredibly helpful.

Has anyone directly compared the Monitor Audio RS6s to the B&W 683/4s? Given the great reviews on the RS6 and the relatively small size of the space (17 x 4), I would like to go with the 6s if I can.

Also, thanks Blackraven for the heads up on Blue Jeans cables. When I bought my flat screen a few years ago, I got suckered into buying really overpriced Monster cables at best buy and have regretted ever since.

blackraven
05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
If you liked the B&W sound go with them. When people talk about speakers, B&W usually is mentioned because they have very good sound from their low end to high end speakers. Very crisp clean sound IMO. I think you will find the Monitor Audio's more foward and less transparent than the B&W's from what I have read and my expereince with the MA S1's which have excellent bass and midrange and poor high end.

MartyW
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Whoops, the measurements are 17 ft by 12 ft for the living room. The other piece of the "L" the dining room, is 8 ft by13.

audio amateur
05-12-2008, 06:14 AM
LOL... It sure is....
You still with that boom box of yours? When are Monitor Audio's arriving? (or have you changed your mind yet again)?

Auricauricle
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I perform a ****ngrin Factor Analysis (SFA) when making my decisions: If the gear makes you **** and grin you're doing all right.

Of course quantity is important. If you drop a good pile and you break a couple of molars or you just can't stop grinning, you've done extremely well....