Choosing Headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Headphones

Froad
05-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm looking for either over ear or can headphones in the under $50 dollar range. What do you think are good for the money. I've looked into sennheiser hd 201 hd 202 px100 and px200. What are other good ones.vvAlso of these which would you choose?

Thanks

Woochifer
05-10-2008, 04:08 PM
If you can bump your budget by another $20, you should also look into the Grado SR60. Easily the best pair of cans in that price range that I've ever tried. They're ugly and not the most comfortable headphones out there, but the sound quality that they deliver for the price is well worth those trade-offs. Grado also recently introduced the iGrado wraparound headphones specifically for the iPod, and those sell for $50. Haven't heard them before, but they do share the same driver as the SR60 (and that diaphragm is also used on their higher end SR80, 125, and 225 models).

Senns are well regarded, but see if you can try before you buy. I once had a pair of the Sennheiser HD500s, and those sounded horrible. I was told to let them break in, but the sound was never satisfying. Didn't surprise me when that line got discontinued.

Rich-n-Texas
05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I have a set of Sennheiser HD212Pro headphones that they call "DJ" HP's. Couldn't figure out what they meant by that 'til I plugged 'em in. VERY heavy on the bass. Don't recall off the top of my head what I paid for them though.

notphilmitchell
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I wear headphones very frequently and have about a dozen pair. I've tried a bunch of different earbuds but here's what I can say about over ears:

Grado iGrado: My favorite general use pair. The sound very good, are fairly light, have a behind-the-head fit. I have them in black. The only thing I don't like is the chrome finish on the sides. I'd definitely buy them again (I got mine from AudioAdvisor for about $50). I hope Grado comes out with an earbud.

Grado S-80s: I love the sound of these (the best of what I have experienced). Put them on and you look like you just stepped out of the soundbooth from recording some tracks by some young kids calling themselves "the Beatles". They are bulky, they have a lengthy, thick, and somewhat inflexible cord. I wear them whenever I want to really enjoy listening to something but after about an hour I have to take them off because my ears are sweaty.

Bose QC2: A gift from my father-in-law for flying. They don't sound as good as good as the Grados 80s. I'm not entirely sold on the "noise-reducing" aspect. Not all that comfortable to me and larger than I like to try to carry along. I usually end up using my Shure e2cs instead (with the silicone tips) because once they are in, the ear seal seems to work better than the Bose circuitry.

Woochifer
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a set of Sennheiser HD212Pro headphones that they call "DJ" HP's. Couldn't figure out what they meant by that 'til I plugged 'em in. VERY heavy on the bass. Don't recall off the top of my head what I paid for them though.

That sounds like the reason why I hated the Senn HD500, which cost me $80. Those cans were nicknamed the "Fusion" and Senn said that they were ideal for rock, hip hop, and electric jazz. Turns out they just had a heavy quantity of bass that sounded bloated and would actually distort with bass heavy music. Wound up giving those headphones away and buying the Grados.

Rich-n-Texas
05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
They pretty much collect dust these days Wooch. I should've taken what they said more seriously and done more research, but I don't really have need for headphones afterall. An impulse buy I guess.

I wonder if the OP got the answer he was looking for. :rolleyes:

RGA
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
The AKG 26p is killer good and fits your budget. I would take them over the Sennheisers which actually cost a fair bit more. The AKG is built better sounds better has deeper bass and plays louder. That equals a no brainer. In a lot of ways I like them more than some of their more expensive models. And they're closed back and good for portability and do a very nice job of knocking down external noise (not quite as good as true noise canceling cans but very good).

Don't expect perfection of course but they offer good bass (really really good in fact for this kind of money) and a shelved down treble but the balance makes for a can that can be pleasantly enjoyed over long listening sessions which is rare but especially for a $40-$50 can.

I liked it so much I bought a second pair just in case. $40.00 portable closed back headphones that sound this good and have bass and can play very loud just don't come around very often. Not really for classical or jazz but that can be said for every sub $150.00 headphone I've heard so... http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/akg-k-26-p.php

drseid
05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
If you can bump your budget by another $20, you should also look into the Grado SR60. Easily the best pair of cans in that price range that I've ever tried. They're ugly and not the most comfortable headphones out there, but the sound quality that they deliver for the price is well worth those trade-offs. Grado also recently introduced the iGrado wraparound headphones specifically for the iPod, and those sell for $50. Haven't heard them before, but they do share the same driver as the SR60 (and that diaphragm is also used on their higher end SR80, 125, and 225 models).

Senns are well regarded, but see if you can try before you buy. I once had a pair of the Sennheiser HD500s, and those sounded horrible. I was told to let them break in, but the sound was never satisfying. Didn't surprise me when that line got discontinued.

I think this is excellent advice from Wooch here (and no, he did not pay me to say that). ;-)

The Grado SR-60s are well worth the modest additional investment, IMO. BTW, I actually found them more comfortable than many of the higher-end Grados I moved up to later on, but I guess that is subjective. Just a great overall value for the money that can be driven without the need of a headphone amp and still sound incredible.

---Dave

Aldo Pignotti
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I've never heard the Grados but I have a pair of Koss ProtaPros. They're within your budget, they sound great and they are very comfortable. You adjust them so they barely sit on your ears.

captjamo
05-20-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earpad/

Try headroom.com they truly are the headphone experts. You will see how they rate Sennheiser PX-100's 49.95 and Grado igrado's. Perhaps, the two best phones for the price. But, if you sit and listen and do not necessarily need portable light weight cans, then, like what Wooch says, the Grado SR-60's are the phones to own.