buying from the web - your help is needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : buying from the web - your help is needed

binyamins
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I live in Israel and the prices here are for amps/recievers are extremely high comparing to the prices that i saw in the internet.

I want to buy from the web a new ROTEL (maybe RA-06) but I couldn't find any store.

I need to have 220V so I thought that maybe i should buy it from hong-kong.

your help is very welcome !!!

Thank you, benny.

Ajani
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
A couple of points:

1) Many brands (and I believe Rotel is one of them) do not have any authorized internet dealers. So it will be dificult (if possible) to find their products for sale on the net + even if you do, the manufacturer will not honor the warranty.

2) If you haven't done so already, then you should check out how much import duties are in Israel. Since by the time you pay shipping and import duties, it might be cheaper to just buy from a local store.

nightflier
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Ajani's points notwithstanding, if you're willing to buy used, there are some great deals to be had. I also believe that Israel's import duties don't apply to used gear, although I don't know that for sure. I also believe that not all areas of Israel have the same import duties and so depending on where you live, you could reduce your expenses. You may also be able to ship to a PO box in a lower tax zone, although I don't know the specifics of the laws in Israel. I'm certainly not advocating that you break the law.

Regarding the 220v, you would probably be best ordering from European resellers. You may also need to invest in some good adapter plugs if they don't match what you're getting from Europe. Actually, if there is one item you would probably not want to buy from abroad, it's a good power source. Many countries have varying degrees of quality when it comes to power, so a power center designed specifically for your country or region is probably best.

Start with eBay. They have good resources for buyers, payment, and all the legal details that are involved. I have sold gear to people in Israel and shipped it from the US w/o too much trouble, so there should also be people near you who can assist you in getting started.

One more thing: aren't there hi-fi manufacturers based in Israel? Certainly your pricing on their gear would be better than it would be to anyone elsewhere.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

bobsticks
05-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Buy used. I don't really recommend this with speakers (and long distance shipping), but amps are extraordinarily resilient and have few parts that can be broken by even the most jaded delivery person. Rotel's are built like tanks and can be found in great condition for very little money.

binyamins
05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you all

I think that used one can be a good answer.
I really wanted to have new but i couldn't find.
I liked the RA-06 sound a lot.

Thanks.

hermanv
05-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Maybe a 220/110V converter transformer? They are easily found and allow you to buy from a large used equipment market.

Not all sellers will be willing to bother, but this site has a very large selection of all things audiophile:

http://www.audiogon.com/

I took a quick look, I'm guessing about 75 Rotel products.