This sets a new record, I think. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This sets a new record, I think.

ForeverAutumn
05-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Top price to see Madonna in my city....$350.00 per ticket, before service charges.

:yikes:

Tickets could be free and I wouldn't go...well, maybe if it were free. But by the time you add in all the extra taxes and charges, those tickets have got to be getting close to $800 a pair. Holy crap! Makes my REM tickets look like a bargain! :thumbsup:

Mr MidFi
05-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Factor in the opening bands (Modest Mouse & The National), and REM is definitely a better deal!!!

kexodusc
05-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Wow...do you know how much music I can see for $350?
Does Madonna have her own zip code and Federal Tax ID number?
She'd better put out for $350.

Finch Platte
05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
She'd better put out for $350.

Ewwwwwwww.

Rich-n-Texas
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
...She'd better put out for $350.
I'll take somma that!

Wait a minute. Let me think about that a little... :nonod:

ForeverAutumn
05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Factor in the opening bands (Modest Mouse & The National), and REM is definitely a better deal!!!

I've been spinning Boxer and trying to love it the way some folks here do, but it's just not happening for me. I am looking forward to Modest Mouse though.

Hyfi
05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
If people would just stop paying these ridiculous prices for shows, the cost of shows would go down across the board.

Not much different than the price of gas. If people keep driving frivolously instead of cutting back, the demand would go down and so would the price.

People are screwing themselves and everyone else.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Top price to see Madonna in my city....$350.00 per ticket, before service charges.

Makes me feel really good about my $15. ticket to see British Sea Power next Thursday.

Which raises a question, at $15. /ticket in a hall capacity of 250 (according to their website)...how does a band like BSP make any money?

ForeverAutumn
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Makes me feel really good about my $15. ticket to see British Sea Power next Thursday.

Which raises a question, at $15. /ticket in a hall capacity of 250 (according to their website)...how does a band like BSP make any money?

Is alcohol being served? I don't know this for a fact, but my guess would be that the club would pay the band a flat fee and rely on beer sales to make their profit.

It's a good question.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Is alcohol being served? I don't know this for a fact, but my guess would be that the club would pay the band a flat fee and rely on beer sales to make their profit.

It's a good question.

Yes it's a liscenced establishment. I was speculating that the band would get 100% of the gate, plus memorablilia sales and the liquor sales went to the club/promoter. Even at that, if the band received 100% of the gate that is only $3,750. then they have to pay their manager, accomodations, whatever hangers on they might have with them (road crew), transportation, etc...Hardly seems worth the trip from England.

These guys must truly do it for the music.

Just saw the raveonettes last month and the equation was roughly the same - though the capacity (and attendance) may have been closer to 500.

GMichael
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Gone are the days of seeing the likes of Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, or Black Sabbath for $6.

Swish
05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I've been spinning Boxer and trying to love it the way some folks here do, but it's just not happening for me. I am looking forward to Modest Mouse though.

I would highly recommend Alligator, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, and the EP Cherry Tree. I do like Boxer, but not as much as those three.

Swish

Swish
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM

It's a good question.

...spent more on our beer than our tickets, which were about $21 each after Ticket Master's fees. I also bought the Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga LP for $13.00. Beyond that, the main bar, which is huge, was jam packed most of the time, and waitresses were bopping all over the place, so I know they made a ton on alcohol sales.

As for the show with The National, it was only $15 on a Saturday night and students paid only $5, and there were far more students there than outsiders. And no food or booze sales, so I'm sure this was a break-even proposition for the school.

Swish

nobody
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Totally agree concert prices have gotten out of hand. That's probably one reason I rarely pay attention to the big touring bands and probably see more local music than anything else. That said, my wife demanded tickets to a few bigger shows this year, and I'm probably gonna spring the $70 each for Tom Waits tickets when he comes through here, so I guess I'm getting old.

Swish
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Totally agree concert prices have gotten out of hand. That's probably one reason I rarely pay attention to the big touring bands and probably see more local music than anything else. That said, my wife demanded tickets to a few bigger shows this year, and I'm probably gonna spring the $70 each for Tom Waits tickets when he comes through here, so I guess I'm getting old.

...live, but Tom Waits, in my opinion, will be worth it. I could give two s<h>hits about Madonna and anyone crazy enough to shell out $350 to see her dance, well, what can I say?
Most of the stuff I like won't be found in large arena and won't be charging a pile of money. I made an exception for the last Wilco show and ditto for the $71 I paid for the Echo ticket for their 30th anniversary show, but again, those were special circumstances.

Swish - old but still above ground

3-LockBox
05-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Tickets could be free and I wouldn't go. I bet she sells out her share of shows, though. A lot of people love the exclusivity of a high ticket price.

Remember Smokey & The Bandit? They were bootlegging Coors beer...fuggin Coors...because there were people willing to pay 5 or 6 times the retail price out west back then, just because it was illegal east of the Mississippi river. Everything's better when not everyone can have it.

No sweat of my nose...I wouldn't go see Madonna if it were for free, either. Nor would I pay $350 if she put out.