Bookshelf, sub and amp, need advice plz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf, sub and amp, need advice plz

muffinsarefood
05-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi, I need reccomendations, i would like to buy a two bookshelves a sub and amp. The room im trying to fill is 15 x 15. I recently listened to some speakers, and the ones that sounded the best were low end Klipsch for around $250. I was wondering what some good bookshelves , sub and amp are.

The budget is $200 for speakers, $200 for sub, and $100 for amp.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've heard alot of talking about Engery and Paradigm speakers around here and was wondering if they are a good for entry level bookshelves. They will be used for music mostly and miniscule amounts of cinema.

I'm comfortable with buying second hand, as long as the speakers will sound good, so far ebay hasn't been of too much help, its mostley brand new retail price and vintage, and like i said, im new at this so justifiying more than $200 rough for a sub or speakers is very hard.

I appreciate any help, if there is anything else i should know please feel free to tell me!

Mr Peabody
05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
To me Paradigm sound better than Klipsch but won't play as loud with equal input power.

$100.00 for an amp isn't much, you'd almost have to buy used and then may only find a receiver. For a bit more you can buy a Trend digital amp, they are rated a 10 watts and limited on features but won a shoot out of digital amps where some were more powerful and many times more expensive.

I'd suggest putting the sub off and using the money to buy a amp. $500.00 for amp and speakers is more realistic. You could shop the thrift stores, some here turn up some pretty good finds. If you found a nice vintage amp or receiver for cheap, then you'd have your budget for sub and speakers.

NAD has some small integrated amps that are good for the money, look at the 315.

muffinsarefood
05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Well the problem with that is that my budget can't eccede $500 =[

I was planning on buying a subwoofer with internal amplifier, and hooking up some old JBL 2500's that my dad has to it, then from there buying some real speakers, along with a used reciver or pre-amp, such as yamaha or sony. At least, that was the plan.

Do you reccomend this? I though it was a good idea because i was under the impresson that a internal amp in a sub would be able to power the speakers, and that only a pre amp would be needed, along with a reiver.

If that IS a good plan, can you reccomend a sub that has good bang-for-the-buck status?

Or are there other options to going about buying all this? I just want to be on the safe side and buy a product that either has good reputation, from experienced audiophiles, or something i heave heard and liked.

By the way, if the Paradigm are truly better than Klipsch, im in on that boat =]

Thanks for the help!

Mr Peabody
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh, I thought you meant $200. skrs + $200.00 sub + $100.00 amp = $500.00. What is your total budget? The JBL + sub is a good idea until you can afford better, it's always good to use what you have if on a restricted budget. I like Onkyo receivers and in older stereo receivers Harmon Kardon is very good. You cannot run speakers off a sub but you can from a receiver. The sub amp is only for the sub. I don't know any specific models of subs to recommend. I've had good luck using Infinity subs in the entry level field.

Shopping thrift stores, Goodwill or Salvation Army you may be able to turn up some kind of amp or receiver. Sansui is typically good in the vintage gear. You might also want to look around on www.craigslist.org or www.audiogon.com for some deals. You'll have to link to your local Craigslist from the main page.

Do you already have a CD player or other music source?

muffinsarefood
05-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I already own an amp, but it is used for another system, i could hijack it for the time being.

I recentley bought a sub! ITs a Klipsch sub-10 (what a creative name!) I've heard it before in a shop and really liked it, so when i found this years model on ebay, i went for it.

And my budget is around $300-$450 (speakers and amp combined). I'm hoping i can find a store in my area (San Diego) that demos Paradigm, becuase im interested now.

So on the back of the sub there are what appear to be connectors for speakers, they are high output. So if they are not for speakers, what are they for? I've attached an image.

Are there any speakers that you reccomend that are within $200 - $350? Im hoping i can find a store to listen to them, and then try and find them second hand, that will hopefully save money and get me a better system.

Thanks for your help!

markw
05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
You still need an amplifier for the bookshelves ahead of the subwoofer.

You connect the speaker output of your amplifier to the black and red thingies that say "input" and you connect your bookshelves to the ones marked "output". The "outputs" won't work without an amplifier connected to the inputs.

As Mr. Peabody tried to get across to you earlier, the amplifier in a subwoofer only amplifies what goes to the subwoofer itself. As for everything else, you're own your own.

Of course, a receiver would work just as well as an amplifier.

Oh, if you're thinking of connecting a line level signal to the RCA inputs, fine. The subwoofer will work great, but nothing will come out of the speaker outputs.

muffinsarefood
05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Gracias amigo, I have seen the light!

Alrighty then, the quest for a reciver begins =)

Thanks for the help

blackraven
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Here's a few budget speakers that sound pretty good for around $200pr.
PSB Alpha B1's $249pr
Infinity Primus 162's $200pr
Infinity Beta 20's $225
NHT Absolute Zero's for about $150 each
Monitor Audio BR1
Wharfedale diamonds

For a 2ch receiver, you can find the Onkyo TX8522 refurbished online for as low as $129

filecat13
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
In skimming this I completely agree with the recommendation to maximize your budget by buying used and/or refurbished gear. Speakers in particular are a terrific bargain used, and it's usually easy to get a good pair (or complete set) locally that you can audition before buying.

muffinsarefood
05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I am leaning towards the paradigm mini monitors, i haven't heard them but have heard great things about them, so i plan on auditioning them at a local store soon, if i like them i will most likely buy them on craigslist or ebay.

Also, the Onkyo reciver sounds pretty nice, and it fits into my budget slot almost perfectley.

Thanks for the help, but one more question, and that is: Would you rather have the Paradigm Mini's or PBS alpha's? I know its ultamitley up to me but want to know if they are worth tracking down, i dont know of any local dealers that carry them.

Thanks!:biggrin5:

blackraven
05-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I've heard the mini monitors and was not impressed. The PSB's got a great review at www.stereophile.com I would add NHT Zero's to that group.

wy2be
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I believe the Ed Frias modified BICs fit perfectly in this budget. Can someone comment on how they compare with the Paradigms / NHTs / etc.?

muffinsarefood
05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Ive decided on the Paradigm's.

The only think left is receiver! I've been hovering around the Onkyo TX series and the Yamaha HSR (i think thats what they are called)

I really want a 2 or 5 channel receiver that can handle the speakers. But i don't need anything spectacular. Are my choices good? Or is there anything else out there?

Mr Peabody
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Out of the 2 I'm partial to Onkyo, they tend to have better control and slam in the bottom end. There's more out there but I thought you had a tight budget. If you didn't want a tuner or interested in home theater, NAD, Marantz and Cambridge Audio offer some pretty good integrated amps for $500.00 or less. Onkyo's 9555 I think can be found for $400.00 which is around a 90 wpc integrated that got good reviews.