Floorstanding Speaker Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding Speaker Question

modran
03-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I hope this is the right forum to post my question.
I'm hoping somebody could help me answer a question I have about Polk Audio LS70 speakers. I have noticed that when I turn up the volume on my receiver(Sony STR DA777ES) not even half way, the drivers on the LS70 seem as if they are skipping - they sound as if they are blown. I already replaced the drivers few months back but that didn't change anything. As I was looking at the specs of the receiver and the speakers - I noticed I should have enough power to push them and in return they should be able to handle it. So I was wondering if I was going to stuff them with padding so the driver has less space to travel would that help? Or is there something else i could try.
P.S. I already tried them on another receiver with same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

joel2762
03-08-2004, 02:45 AM
What size woofers do these speakers have? I can't see Polk's doing something like that at halfway :S... My 6" bookshelf speakers don't do that at halfway on my Sony.....What kind of music are you listening to?

Jimmy C
03-08-2004, 04:04 AM
...a friend of mine has the LS90s (about 12 years old, right?) and they are doing the same thing. At moderate volume, the woofers start to break up.

I would suspect a speaker problem... they lose composure at a level I would think they SHOULD be able to to. Maybe Polk knows of an inherent problem with these.

IIRC, the LS90s were about $1400/pr. Not sure if it's real, but the finish is very nice (glossy Walnut).

Good luck...

modran
03-08-2004, 01:51 PM
The size of the woofs are 7.5 in. The music that I listen to: rock, classical, techno, dance, rap. They usually start skipping when there is some bass - doesn't have to be heavy.

Geoffcin
03-08-2004, 04:24 PM
The size of the woofs are 7.5 in. The music that I listen to: rock, classical, techno, dance, rap. They usually start skipping when there is some bass - doesn't have to be heavy.

Perhaps your just asking to much from them bass wise. If your into techno and dance music a good sub would be an excellent investment.

pelly3s
03-08-2004, 04:37 PM
it also may be a bad connection on the crossover. always go through and touch up the solder joints every few years. i do it with all my gear. just out of habit