Favorite Tweeter Type [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tweeter Type

joel2762
03-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Vote for your favorite type of tweeter. Leave some comments why. If it's "Other" post what it is!

Worf101
03-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Epicure inverted dome ceramic tweet... excellent if you ask me.

Da Worfster :o

pelly3s
03-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm a horn and slot tweeter fan myself.

markw
03-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Given my druthers, I'd go for a ribbon.

filecat13
03-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Pure titanium dome with rubber surround and a waveguide (i.e., a tiny horn).

joel2762
03-08-2004, 02:40 AM
I'm for alluminum:p

Geoffcin
03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Epicure inverted dome ceramic tweet... excellent if you ask me.

Da Worfster :o

Got em!

There's a guy who still makes these. I'm going to look into getting a pair of his speakers as soon as I'm finishef with my HT room.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/

(just what I need another set of speakers!)

Geoffcin
03-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Vote for your favorite type of tweeter. Leave some comments why. If it's "Other" post what it is!

While I give kudos to Burhoe's inverted dome, the best high frequency driver that I've ever heard is a pure ribbon. From the first time I heard one I was hooked.

03-08-2004, 11:11 PM
HOLY GEEBUS geoffcin...That inhuman speaker got 10 drivers!
6base, 2mids, 1upper mid (i suppose), 1 tweeter???

Sealed
03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
This in my experiance has been a faulty logic thing. Some people tend to gravitate toward the exotic stuff, and completely forget that way back in the 70's KEF invented a linear, accurate tweeter that was matched +/- .5db. Not to mention ribbons which have been around forever. Many of the top-line speakers through the 70's and 80's used the Kef tweeter. And yes, it was that good then, and it is now...it is excellent PERIOD.

Fast forward until now. We have beryllium, Titanium, diamond (which is actually carbon crystal) ceramic, horn and so on.

Implementation is the most crucial, not the material. How the tweeter is mated with a midrange can make or break a speaker. two good cases:

The Avalon Eidolon diamond uses that mega-spendy "diamond tweet." After listening, I prefer the silky-smooth ceramic version, which costs much less.

Vandersteen 5 uses a slightly modded Vifa aluminum dome tweeter that goes for maybe $40 a pair. These speakers sound awesome! And ATC monitors use a $30 a pair vifa soft dome. The ATCs are extremely linear, musical, transparent and unblinkingly detailed. All this from one of the least expensive tweeters. Km acoustics makes an all-metal speaker using metal woofers, and a focal tioxid tweeter. Yet these speakers are very neutral---with no metallic ring , color or bite. That is great engineering! :D

The most recent "tweeter" I listened to was the new JM labs Focal Be on the mini utopias. This is not only a superior tweeter to the focal tioxid IMO, it mates better with the woofer in the Jm labs speaker. It's amazing! :eek:

So while people have "favorite" tweeter, I feel that I have "favorite" implementations of tweeters reguardless of material.